Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee

Let me be the first to show you what is in this very full box.

2008_1201christmas0216-vi.jpg

2008_1201christmas0217-vi.jpg

2008_1201christmas0218-vi.jpg

2008_1201christmas0219-vi.jpg

2008_1201christmas0220-vi.jpg

The kit has all it's pieces bagged and the chrome tree is even wrapped with tissue paper. The decal sheet is outstanding, the kind you would pay $10+ for. The only thing that bugs me is the missing seam where the fender meets the cowl. But at a price of $13.99 I think I will let it slide. The box art alone is worthy of a purchase.

Edited by 1972 Satellite

Guest promodmerc

Too bad it doesn't have two transmissions & is lacking the SOCH HEMI heads, intake and belt set up that were in the Pro-Street kits.

Edited by promodmerc

I'm betting that was the only interior bucket ever tooled up for that kit. Back when AMT & MPC were so heavily into the promo business, they would tool up the promos first, (& often the convertible versions of the promos got first run before the hard tops, if a convertible was offered), & use a common interior tub between the convertibles & the hard tops. The annual kits were based on as much of the promo tooling as possible, & they weren't going to go to the added expense of tooling up a separate interior bucket for the hardtops, either for the kits or the promos.

Yep Amt and Several other Manufacturers did the samething, as it was just much cheaper to tool a single style interior... Heck it used to be that you could buy a kit, that had pieces in it to build either a Hardtop or Convert.... Either you got a Hardtop Body, and you hacked the roof off to make a Vert, or you got a Vert Body, and one or two Hardtops to add to it (Think '65 GTO convert)....

It wasn't till the late 80's or so, that I remember any manufacturer going with the "true" interior for that car....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I got this for x-mas and just opened the kit.It looks great,but, there is a problem on mine.

My instruction sheet is missing the back side.It starts with step 3(interior).

Anybody else have this problem???

I am going to try to contact them and see if I can get the missing side.

• 1 month later...
Too bad it doesn't have two transmissions & is lacking the SOCH HEMI heads, intake and belt set up that were in the Pro-Street kits.

I agree, it would've been nice if they'd have include the SOHC Hemi- that's the only good part of the P/S version. :D

• 10 months later...

I have just bought this kit, looks like a great kit! I took a quick look inside and noticed that the one I got has an extra set of wheels on the chrome tree that is not on the picture above. It's the pro street centerlines, but there's no pro street tires :D

Yes, this kit has 3 sets of rims; the stock Magnum Road wheel, some deep Convo-style wheets, and some Weld-style 'Outlaw' looking units. You have two engine choices (but they share the same 4 speed tranny case), the 440+6 and the Hemi (with either the stock inline or the crossram intake). Stock rear end or the narrowed unit, stock exhaust or the 'Pro Street' set-up, the 69 and 70 style underhood air grabber units, 4 different shifter options, and a few other niceties.

Also, I noticed the 440+6 intake is a 1969&1/2 unit, not a 1970 unit (difference was 1969&1/2 was cast by Edelbrock in Aluminum for Chrysler and 1970 was cast by Chrysler themselves...in Iron!).

With that being said, mine is going together nicely so far, with minimal flash and requiring little clean-up.

Edited by whale392

Umm... (scratching head, making tiny brain tickle...)

How is it... the original post, of this recently re-issued kit, is dated "Dec.1, 2008"?

Is that an original issue kit, or did someone screw up the whole "space-time continuum"?

Uhh... I'm not seeing but 2 sets of wheels in my kit. :(

oldscool

I bought my kit recently, so I would think that they decided to add the prostreet wheels in the kit, too bad they forgot to add the prostreet tires to go with it... :blink:

Edited by Bruno

I think they added the second HEMI engine and parts trees which came in the Pro Street version of the kit, so any other parts (the Centerline wheels) were on those same trees were included in this kit by default.

The '90s re-issue I have includes the same parts, including the extra wheels.

This kit also makes a good donor for a more detailed JoHan Superbird kitbash project, which is what I'm doing with mine.

Spyder.....no, the space-time continuum is still intact. The original was issued by MPC back in 1970-71 timeframe, them again by AMT in the late80s and early 90s with the Pro Street build option. Then they re-issued this kit again in 2008, only without some of the options (like the DOHC Hemi head option). It is interesting to see what has changed even in the reissue since it was released in 2008....seems some things have been re-appearing over time (does this mean the DOHC heads might make it back?!!).

The late '90s stock re-issue version of the '70 Super Bee never came with the prototype Hemi engine, nor the Pro Street parts. I never bought the Pro Street version, so did it come with all of the stock parts, too (i.e. stock chassis, rear suspension, interior, etc.)?

Saying Round2 should've included ALL the parts from both the stock and Pro Street issues is wishful thinking, since they never were all included in one kit box to my knowledge.

• 2 years later...

I doubt you will ever see the 68-70 MoPar's with Both Pro-Street & Stock options in the

same box as they require separate chassis pans. Rememberm the Pro-Street has tubbed

rear wheel wheels for those monstrosities they call tires.

Not that they can't, but they would have to use a larger box for it to fit. They can and ocassionally do

include both engine options, but not both chassis'

I have the retro-Deluxe type box art re-issue of the 70. I do wish the Police parts were still there!!

I want to say when they finally offered the 69 GTX hardtop in Stock, they may have included 2 engines too.

I need to dig that one out and look at it again.