Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos new Petty Charger

yellowsportwagon

Wrong paint job for that body though. It should not have drip rails over the doors, but that's an easy fix.  That paint job is for the 72 model year and that car is a 73 or 74 body. The 1 and 2 has a rear facing curve and smaller qtr window. The 3 and 4 have the forward facing curve and larger qtr window like this one has.   

74 forward curve 

1974 Dodge Charger for sale near Clearwater, Florida 33765 - Classics on  Autotrader

71 rear facing curve

Hemmings Find of the Day - 1971 Dodge Charger R/T | Hemmings

1 hour ago, dwc43 said:

Wrong paint job for that body though. It should not have drip rails over the doors, but that's an easy fix.  That paint job is for the 72 model year and that car is a 73 or 74 body. The 1 and 2 has a rear facing curve and smaller qtr window. The 3 and 4 have the forward facing curve and larger qtr window like this one has.   

74 forward curve 

1974 Dodge Charger for sale near Clearwater, Florida 33765 - Classics on  Autotrader

71 rear facing curve

Hemmings Find of the Day - 1971 Dodge Charger R/T | Hemmings

Fail!!!!!!!! Paint job is from 1973 Daytona 500 win!!! Google can be your friend.

D42744FC-3919-42E8-97D2-ADE9C5608A10.jpeg

I like the Salvino's Charger a lot. Best kit they've done so far. My guess is they are planning some later versions, marking wise and they appear to have a small block engine in the kit for the car which they ran like 76-77 or so. I am going to have to quit staring at these bodies on the table and start building again. I get my excellent 73 Montego GT in today's mail. Tim and Gerald are my heroes :)

Thank you for showing this car. Not a paint theme I would dare try at my skill level but it encourages me to buy future releases with liveries I can manage. I have built 2 MCs from Salvinos and was not impressed. I have one Olds still in the box with little interest to build. This one Iooks like a big step up from previous offerings.

32 minutes ago, gks1964 said:

Is the body more accurate than the MPC body?

The body looks right to me. It's a bit different than the MPC kit, but I think it still looks right. Perhaps the bumpers are a little heavy handed compared to the MPC kits, but I would still buy and build these, no problem.

It's nice to have the right style grille inserts in this kit. The MPC kit did not get that right on their Petty cars.