Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos new Petty Charger

yellowsportwagon

1 hour ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

"nitpicking trolls", pfffft...

Those A-pillars will need a few file swipes, not that I'm not delighted with this - it's far and away the best of their '70s subjects.  Salvinos can send a card to thank you for my rush-to-Ebay purchase.

I do not have one in hand....but A  pillars look like they need work.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:05 AM, yellowsportwagon said:

The chassis is the same old thing. 

Is the chassis the same old original torsion bar/leaf spring suspension or same old revised a-arm/truck arm suspension? Also, does anyone know when Petty switched from Hemi to big block wedge in Chargers?

Chassis is the same Salvinos chassis that was under OLDS and Monte Carlo. Leaf's out back, bars in front. 

Which engine is correct depends on the year you are building. I do not have exact dates but NASCAR went from HEMI, big block to 366 or smaller during the use of that body Charger. 

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly off topic but has anyone had any luck contacting JR Savinos customer service email?  I have a "short shot" Petty charger body with a 1/2 inch jagged gap down the drivers side door.  Sent 2 emails, and no response, maybe their just busy.  I don't do Facebook, so that's out.

Used to be a huge NASCAR fan as a kid, thanks to ABC's Wide World of Sports. Dad grew up in northern Alabama and we went back in summer 1974 for a huge family reunion. Dad's brother Joe approached my parents and asked them to let me fly back a couple weeks later so he could take me to the Talladega 500 on August 11 and they agreed (I was an early teenager). Petty won with this paint scheme, to much booing from the Hueyville crowd. Joe got amazing tickets about ten rows back, just past the finish line. It was hot and humid (duh, August in Alabama), so Joe, my cousin, and I all removed our shirts in true redneck fashion. After 500 miles our legs and upper bodies were quite black with tire dust except for where the sunglasses were. I blew out Goodyear boogers for several days, but it was an amazing experience.

Not to thread hijack, but I just ordered this kit for old times sake. Haven't built a NASCAR kit since the original MPC kits, but I just ordered this one. If Salvino's decides to market any other ~1962-1975 cars, I am there.

Watching this build and any others that I see. I love Tim's NASCAR builds.

image.png.4d784a22d43750b9881289c8248c703d.png