Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1967 Chevelle Pro Street Build*

Zippi

Started on the 67 Chevelle this morning by checking out all the parts in the box.  I guess the 56 Ford Foose truck I just finished had me spoiled as this kit is loaded with flash.  I also noticed that only the rear tires have the white lettering.  I got all the flash removed and parts glued together for the engine, heads, and headers.  I found a pic online of the Chevelle engine that I really like so I may copy some of it.  I like the black valve covers.  I need to make a run to the auto parts store and pic up a can of Chevy orange for the engine.     

20210410_093618.jpg

20210410_083318.jpg

20210410_092011.jpg

1967 Chevelle Engine.jpg

I assembled the roll cage on the frame of the car to make sure is wasn't warped.  Once I got all the pieces together I tack glued it and then moved it off the frame and fully glued it.  I'm trying my hand at drilling out the stock distributor for all the wires and it was a success.  Now I need to find some place local that sells wire small enough.  I know there are a lot of places online selling distributor wire but I just can't justify paying 3 times the price of the wire for shipping.    

20210410_122314.jpg

20210410_123746.jpg

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

I assembled the roll cage on the frame of the car to make sure is wasn't warped.  Once I got all the pieces together I tack glued it and then moved it off the frame and fully glued it.  I'm trying my hand at drilling out the stock distributor for all the wires and it was a success.  Now I need to find some place local that sells wire small enough.  I know there are a lot of places online selling distributor wire but I just can't justify paying 3 times the price of the wire for shipping.    

20210410_122314.jpg

20210410_123746.jpg

If you have a Hobby Lobby go to the hand made jewelry section for wire.  I'm sure there are other places tho.

I've never had this kit but I keep thinking I should for the wheels, if nothing else. I'm a sucker for 80's and 90's billet wheels!

I buy distributor wire by Parts By Parks from a seller on eBay. Detail Master packages it, too, but theirs is ever so slightly smaller gauge. I justify the postage because you get enough to do 3 or 4 engines so I'm really only spending about $1 on postage per model. 

8 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I've never had this kit but I keep thinking I should for the wheels, if nothing else. I'm a sucker for 80's and 90's billet wheels!

I buy distributor wire by Parts By Parks from a seller on eBay. Detail Master packages it, too, but theirs is ever so slightly smaller gauge. I justify the postage because you get enough to do 3 or 4 engines so I'm really only spending about $1 on postage per model. 

I did find this but I'm a little leary buying from an unknown since I've had my identity stolen and many CC comprimized.  

5 Feet Gray Spark Plug Wire for 1/24 1/25 Scale Model Car Detailing Parts | eBay

10 hours ago, Zippi said:

Yeah.....I'm thinking 26 or 28 gauge wire.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the 30 ga. wire I use. It is 0.020” diameter which is 1/2” in 25th scale. I got it at an electronics supply shop.

12F67E52-8192-4443-86DC-F092FEB20CA2.jpeg

DA58B101-4C2A-4E0F-AAA0-BC913D9DA1E6.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

Greg, Thanks for the info.  That size looks great.  I'll check into it. 

The wire you guys are using....is it solid or stranded wire?  Which works better to lay down and are you using spark plug boots?  

Edited by Zippi

I was looking at the Delta Acrylic Ceramcoat color chart this morning while drinking my coffee and came up with a color.  That may change this afternoon while drinking a cold Modelo.  I do know that this time around I'm going to try the Pledge Revive It floor gloss.  

Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint Chart Burnt Orange.jpg

Well I went out this morning on the hunt for some 30 AWG wire and a Molotow Liquid chrome marker or any fine tip chrome marker and i come up short on both.  Started out at Hobby Lobby then on to, Walmart, Target, Staples, and a couple local electronic stores.  Looks like I'll have to order both online.  

36 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Well I went out this morning on the hunt for some 30 AWG wire and a Molotow Liquid chrome marker or any fine tip chrome marker and i come up short on both.  Started out at Hobby Lobby then on to, Walmart, Target, Staples, and a couple local electronic stores.  Looks like I'll have to order both online.  

I'm really surprised to hear your HL didn't have those items. I know mine is my fairly small city have both.

22 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Those look good Tom, thanks for that posting.

On 4/11/2021 at 6:42 AM, NOBLNG said:

This is the 30 ga. wire I use. It is 0.020” diameter which is 1/2” in 25th scale. I got it at an electronics supply shop.

12F67E52-8192-4443-86DC-F092FEB20CA2.jpeg

DA58B101-4C2A-4E0F-AAA0-BC913D9DA1E6.jpeg

Those look perfect to me!!  How did you do the angled boots??

On 4/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, Zippi said:

I was looking at the Delta Acrylic Ceramcoat color chart this morning while drinking my coffee and came up with a color.  That may change this afternoon while drinking a cold Modelo.  I do know that this time around I'm going to try the Pledge Revive It floor gloss.  

Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint Chart Burnt Orange.jpg

Soooo many color choices with craft paint.  It's now my go too stuff.  Your color choice is what it is....if it's what you like go for it!!   I will also be doing this kit (probably as a drag car).

55 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Those look perfect to me!!  How did you do the angled boots??

I think those were the insulation off of some slightly larger wire that I notched and bent to 90 degrees or so. I also sometimes use very tiny shrink wrap that I stretch while heating it.

21 hours ago, Zippi said:

Odd that you couldn't find Molotow at HL. My local HL even moved it into the model kit aisle, it used to be with the markers and art pens. Did you look in both places? I suppose they could just be out of stock, but I know they carry it.

I used to get my wrapping wire at Radio Shack, but since they aren't really a thing anymore you may have to search online for an easy source.

Fellows....I looked all over at HL and even got a lady in the area to help me.  They just don't carry them.  We have 3 hobby shops in town and I did not check one of the 3 out as they mainly deal with the electric/gas car guys but this morning I checked the website out and halaluya brother......they have them.  Guess where I'm headed to this morning ☺  Since I could not locate any 30 AWG wire locally I ordered a 100' roll of the JohardTool wire that NOBLNG mentioned. 

I am really disappointed in this amt kit.  It is full of flash, warped parts, and the parts don't fit very good at all.  The heads do not want to mate up to the Tunnel ran setup and look nice enough for me.  I shaved the nubs off the bottom of the heads to move them around for a better fit and look presentable. 

Update : Last one Hobby Town USA had in their show case.       

20210413_110851.jpg

Edited by Zippi

Not much going on with this build. Got the flash removed from some of the smaller parts and painted.  Waiting on my 30 AWG wire to come in today so I can with the engine.  Still looking around the garage for something to use for plug wire boots.    

20210415_104648.jpg

20210415_104746.jpg

20210415_104515.jpg

Edited by Zippi