Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1967 Chevelle Pro Street Build*

Zippi

20 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Looks good to me Bob.   It's the same system I will be using on my '55 Sedan.  How many clear coats tho??

I got the body primed this morning with no issues and looking good so far.  I'm trying to repeat the process I did yesterday on the spoon test.  

20210419_101101.jpg

36 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Primer looks good Bob.

Thanks man.  I've got the color on the body now.  I have all the parts covered with boxes to keep any dust or bugs out of the paint.  

Thanks Dan.  Here's the color on the body.  Tomorrow I'll wet sand, Polish, and Wax.  Hoping it comes out like my test spoons did.  Just as a note....I don't have a pray both so I painted this outside my garage and it was a little windy today.   

Paint.jpg

Edited by Zippi

Ok....just got through with the body.  All I did was polish it twice with NOVUS 2.  I just slipped it on the frame to take pics.  It looks ok but I was expecting better results.  You guys tell me what you think.   

20210420_134204.jpg

20210420_134438.jpg

20210420_134246.jpg

20210420_134339.jpg

Hi Bob, it looks good. Honestly, it would definitely shine a little more with a polishing kit, (3600-12000 clothes, then Novus) but that’s not for everyone. Black is a tough colour, not very forgiving... that’s why I only have one black car in my display case. It will look really good if you leave it as is. Enjoying watching it come together.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks guys.  It acually looks worse in the pics but I'm still not satisfied.  I may strip the polish off the body today and try wet sanding and see what happens.  If that doesn't work I'll strip the body and start over.  This is a learning process for me at something I'm not very good at.  

6 minutes ago, Painted Black said:

Bob, to be completely honest, it looks like the coating they use for bed liners, I would strip and spray again using a wetter paint.

Yeah it looks like vinyl to me.  The spoon test came out good so I don't know what happend.  

10 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

OK Bob my friend, did you clear this and what with if so?   You said you were going to use Anita's Craft paint. Is that what the color coat is?

Mike, I used Anits's Glossy Black acrylic paint and clear coated it with Rust-Oleum Gloss.  

I don't yet have the expertise to tell you what went wrong there.  As you know I have had pretty good results with the Anita's paints. As Chaz said, could be spraying the craft paint too dry, maybe too far away. Also, what did you thin the paint with?   We need to get you some help here😃

Ok.....this kit kicked my butt so I'm done.  From the beginning there was a lot of flash and the parts didn't fit well and it continued all the way through the build to the final assemble of the bumpers.  Pics will be posted in "Under Glass". 

7 hours ago, Zippi said:

Mike, I used Anits's Glossy Black acrylic paint and clear coated it with Rust-Oleum Gloss.  

How many coats? I recently cleared two very orange-peeled finishes with that and it took six coats--and two more wouldn't have hurt. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

How many coats? I recently cleared two very orange-peeled finishes with that and it took six coats--and two more wouldn't have hurt. 

I gave the paint and gloss 5 coats but it may have been to light.  

Edited by Zippi