Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Painting Small Badges On Car Body*

I have the amt 1967 Chevelle Pro Street kit and I"m looking at the badges on the body trying to figure out how to go about getting some color on them.  They are extremely small even under the magnifying glass.  Maybe just shave them off or leave them and paint over them.  I normally do small detail work like this with a fine tip sharpie or a fine tip chrome pen.  Looking for suggestions fellows.    

20210411_114546.jpg

20210411_114533.jpg

Edited by Zippi

This subject has been discussed on the forum many times.

If you are not aware, there is a technique that is referred to as "Foil Under Paint".

Basically, it's an operation involving covering the script with foil, painting over it, and then using either a solvent or sand paper to remove the paint from the script.

It produces very satisfactory and realistic results.

There is really no tip for painting the scripts other than dry brushing, replacing with decals or PE, or just having an extremely steady hand.

Examples of Foil Under Paint on some very fine scripts.

image.jpeg.ed3ae88b89af5ffd0e07917b3074648f.jpeg

image.jpeg.dd845a2064d3591453ca5bc0652a2f37.jpeg

image.jpeg.37546a6edd8ade1be9fe7bb5d6fa3e00.jpeg

Steve

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This subject has been discussed on the forum many times.

If you are not aware, there is a technique that is referred to as "Foil Under Paint".

Basically, it's an operation involving covering the script with foil, painting over it, and then using either a solvent or sand paper to remove the paint from the script.

It produces very satisfactory and realistic results.

There is really no tip for painting the scripts other than dry brushing, replacing with decals or PE, or just having an extremely steady hand.

Examples of Foil Under Paint on some very fine scripts.

image.jpeg.ed3ae88b89af5ffd0e07917b3074648f.jpeg

image.jpeg.dd845a2064d3591453ca5bc0652a2f37.jpeg

image.jpeg.37546a6edd8ade1be9fe7bb5d6fa3e00.jpeg

Steve, everytime I see your models with the "underfoil" method I'm amazed.   And everytime I think I want to try it I get cold feet.  I just would hate to mess up a paint job.

Steve