Model Cars Magazine Forum

removing bare metal foil adhesive?

7 minutes ago, gman said:

It will depend on what kind of paint you applied it over top of- I use alcohol, but that doesn't work on fresh paint (especially lacquers and acrylics). Goo Gone may be a good option.

Thanks, I guess I can try some goo gone. It's Tamiya paint sprayed recently. I did try rubbing the gloo off with a cloth rag but seems to leave a slightly dull finish in the area. It does seem this matt aluminum foil has more adhesive than the 'chrome' foil I've used before. -RRR

23 minutes ago, gman said:

It will depend on what kind of paint you applied it over top of- I use alcohol, but that doesn't work on fresh paint (especially lacquers and acrylics). Goo Gone may be a good option.

Same here. I suppose you could try Windex or pure ammonia, but those will damage some types of acrylics. 

Best way to avoid this problem in the future is to apply some (lo tack) masking tape close to the area to be foiled. The tape can even be used as cutting guide for the knife. The extra foil will be on the tape which then can be peeled of the model.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

Best way to avoid this problem in the future is to apply some (lo tack) masking tape close to the area to be foiled. The tape can even be used as cutting guide for the knife. The extra foil will be on the tape which then can be peeled of the model.

I've read this before (maybe you posted it) and I'm going to try this technique on my next build with chrome. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I use liquid car polish.

Any product containing petroleum distillates should dissolve the BMF adhesive.  Car polishes and waxes usually contain those, and are mild enough not to affect the paint finish (like other solvents could).  All this assumes that the paint is glossy.  If the adhesive is on flat or satin paint surfaces, then pretty much any of the mentioned products will likely affect the paint finish.

1 minute ago, peteski said:

Any product containing petroleum distillates should dissolve the BMF adhesive.  Car polishes and waxes usually contain those, and are mild enough not to affect the paint finish (like other solvents could).  All this assumes that the paint is glossy.  If the adhesive is on flat or satin paint surfaces, then pretty much any of the mentioned products will likely affect the paint finish.

True, I did forget to mention glossy paint probably not acrylic that hasn't been cleared.

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

If you have nothing else deodrant sprays work, just spray loads on til it wet, leave a couple mins then it wipes off

Deodorant spray usually has alcohol in it - that will surely dissolve the adhesive, but might attack the paint (modelers use alcohol to strip paint off their models).