Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duel Peterbilt 281 & Tanker

After nearly a year pecking away at this one, I finally wrapped it up this morning. It's made up of the AMT "California Hauler" Pete, AITM hood conversion, Keystone tanker body, Moluminum wheels, ModelTruckin decals, and a whole lot of scratchbuilding and kitbashing. I converted the rear of the tractor to a walking beam style suspension with single drive and tag axle using parts from AMT's International Transtar, and much of the trailer frame is adapted from Lindberg's tanker trailer. The stupidly long writeup is available here, and a slideshow of it is available here. As always, any comments/criticisms are welcome!

duel-truck-03.jpg.727c11a824514f5203dec8a3f4ae8e95.jpg

duel-truck-04.jpg.98c76f16424521477619de6452715acd.jpg

duel-truck-05.jpg.7df08b43ebf4ecbc914455a9075050d5.jpg

duel-truck-06.jpg.be2412aabed51991929ac1c7ddb3c266.jpg

duel-truck-07.jpg.9c60f6bafef80f9d2bdc7e97b27edfe7.jpg

duel-truck-08.jpg.849cb3ba090a01005cfd6fb4105d50fd.jpg

duel-truck-09.jpg.d6e79914dba7d203a26a4f13fcd02b78.jpg

duel-truck-10.jpg.f0ebd46ace4ae66dfb9caccbc09483e7.jpg

duel-truck-11.jpg.d3e7827e6c4f9da6d5544b17e64eda9d.jpg

On 4/15/2021 at 5:49 PM, James Maynard said:

Yes they are. They look so good on this old truck. They are made out of pewter though. 

They really do look good there! I've seen them listed, but have never tried a set myself...was hoping to do so as part of their "Convoy" kit, but that's currently out of production so looks like I'm playing the waiting game until he does some more. Fortunately, I have plenty to keep me busy!

7 minutes ago, spencer1984 said:

They really do look good there! I've seen them listed, but have never tried a set myself...was hoping to do so as part of their "Convoy" kit, but that's currently out of production so looks like I'm playing the waiting game until he does some more. Fortunately, I have plenty to keep me busy!

You might just need to contact him and ask him when he thinks the Rubber Duck Mack might be back in stock. Honestly I have never seen it be in stock. I was wanting to ask you. Where did you get your trailer for your Duel truck? There is a place that sells them but it looks like the only thing they have is the body with no wheels. 

This has to be the definitive model of the Duel truck. Incredible. Knowing your level of expertise and commitment to the wheeled stars of the big screen, I have no doubt the build was meticulously researched and carried out. Museum quality!

On 4/17/2021 at 4:54 PM, James Maynard said:

You might just need to contact him and ask him when he thinks the Rubber Duck Mack might be back in stock. Honestly I have never seen it be in stock. I was wanting to ask you. Where did you get your trailer for your Duel truck? There is a place that sells them but it looks like the only thing they have is the body with no wheels. 

I did ask, the response was a simple "hope to have more soon." So not much to go on there.

The trailer was a Keystome Aluminum tank body, so it could be the one you saw. The frame, wheels, suspension, and other parts were all stuff I added.

23 hours ago, vincen47 said:

This has to be the definitive model of the Duel truck. Incredible. Knowing your level of expertise and commitment to the wheeled stars of the big screen, I have no doubt the build was meticulously researched and carried out. Museum quality!

Thank you! There is still a fair amount of interpretation here, either splitting the difference between screen-used trucks or adding some details in the spirit of the truck.

16 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Thank you! There is still a fair amount of interpretation here, either splitting the difference between screen-used trucks or adding some details in the spirit of the truck.

I agree with you there.
I have done a lot of research on the Duel truck lately as I plan to build one myself some day and I'm in the process of gathering the right parts for it to do it as I want to.
When you do a model of the Duel truck you have to choose wich one to do as there were three of them built up for the movie, or maybe do a combination of them to your liking and get the look.
The most important thing is to have fun when you build and do what you like, and I really like your model even tho' it might not be exactly as the original movie truck was in every detail like the wheels, the engine, the rear suspension and such, your model for sure capture the look anyway and I think you did a good job of it.

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, Force said:

I agree with you there.
I have done a lot of research on the Duel truck lately as I plan to build one myself some day and I'm in the process of gathering the right parts for it to do it as I want to.
When you do a model of the Duel truck you have to choose wich one to do as there were three of them built up for the movie, or maybe do a combination of them to your liking and get the look.
The most important thing is to have fun when you build and do what you like, and I really like your model even tho' it might not be exactly as the original movie truck was in every detail like the wheels, the engine, the rear suspension and such, your model for sure capture the look anyway and I think you did a good job of it.

Exactly. As long as I have fun with the build, and if I can capture the "spirit" of the subject, I'll accept the frustrations and flaws along the way and call it a win. Thanks again, looking forward to seeing what you do with yours!

Edited by spencer1984