Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Suburban/Deserter bash

After seeing a few cool builds, and reading even more about it on the forum, I decided to try my hand at this. First off, it really is a simple bash, with the focus on the front end. Remove the Deserter inner fender wells, material from the suburban fan shroud/radiator support, trim the 'burbans inner fenders to match the donor frame and your good. Some tweaking after that is all I needed. My intent in was to simply mate the frame to the body & be pretty much with it. As you see from the pix, that didn't happen. After performing the above, my first thought was, I need a roof rack, so I scratched one. Then I needed a load for it. I found some stuff in the parts box. The crate was scratched using coffee & pop sticks. The green "tarp" is a piece of an old BBQ cover with the backing removed. That led to scratching a ladder so the load could be reached. The light bar is the deserter's roll bar cut to t fit. A simple straight pin was used for the roof antenna. The Deserter brush bar/winch was detailed & added. The differential covers were cut off & replaced with matching chrome pieces from the parts box. My wife was throwing out an old cosmetics bag, Part of it is now the head liner. The interior received a fire extinguisher, the Jimmys CB radio & a length of rope. The side steps? We're made from an old rear bumper and ring resizers. I added out side mirrors from the möbius service. Finally, the decals are from the original release of Revell's '64 Impala. She's far from perfect, but I think this was me of my better projects. I had a blast building it. Comment, critiques, etc. are welcome. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks great, very nice job.  I have one in my WIP collection that I plan to build as a replica of a '66 GMC Suburban 4x4 my dad's friend owned in the 70's.  I thought it was awesome back then.  Well, I still kinda do.

Edited by Kromolly