Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Chevy Impala SS

Do you have one of the kits molded in white? If so, you might just mask it off, spray your blue, chrome foil the trim and let the white shine. Otherwise, same procedure but paint the white first, dry thoroughly, mask off and spray blue. Mask generously, that is, maybe let your tape ride up on the chrome a bit to get complete coverage. You will have a small tape edge on the chrome to knock down before foiling, but you won't be fighting precise masking the inside corner, so to speak, where the white meets the chrome. My 2-cents...

6 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Do you have one of the kits molded in white? If so, you might just mask it off, spray your blue, chrome foil the trim and let the white shine. Otherwise, same procedure but paint the white first, dry thoroughly, mask off and spray blue. Mask generously, that is, maybe let your tape ride up on the chrome a bit to get complete coverage. You will have a small tape edge on the chrome to knock down before foiling, but you won't be fighting precise masking the inside corner, so to speak, where the white meets the chrome. My 2-cents...

These sound like good ideas. B)

On 4/15/2021 at 12:59 AM, bisc63 said:

The not painting the "insert" sure makes sense. We can call it the KISS method.   When I did mine I brush painted it with no so good results. 

If leaving the insert as bare plastic, at the very least I’d clear coat it. Down the road, the plastic might yellow a bit, and the clear will keep it white. Also, if you clear the rest of the car, it will match, and not have a satin finish. 
For this car, I masked around the insert, then painted it Tamiya Pure White. After it dried, then I masked off the insert, and sprayed the rest of the car Tamiya Italian Red. Added the SS decals last. Sorry for the clarity, but this is an old pic. 

828A6B3E-D57E-4B8E-9386-EC45CD1FA304.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform