Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meng 1/24 Yes 1/24 1966 GT40

jacko

On 4/19/2021 at 5:42 PM, Matt Bacon said:

If it’s engineered the same way as the 1/12th version, it’s trivial to flip the outer side of the brake disc, leaving the grooves invisible inside and a smooth surface on the outer side, as it should be...

best,

M.

Perhaps they plan on including p-etch brake disk to go over the groves?

I wonder why they put grooves on the discs in the first place, there are no grooves on most of the disc brakes around and if there are meant to be grooves and holes they don't look like that because you want as much braking surface as possible for them to be efficient, so these should be flat smooth surfaced ventilated discs with no grooves.

What I don't understand is if you make the effort to develop a model kit of something and don't bother to take the time and do the research to do it right while you are at it.
Develop and cut the tool for a correct kit doesn't cost more than to do the same thing for an incorrect kit so it can't be that, and if you do a correct kit the good reputation and the positive reception from the market you get is worth a lot and boost the sales of mentioned kit, and that can't be a bad thing.
I mean in this case there are lots of information and a gazillion pictures of GT40 Mk II's everywhere on the internet so it's not that hard to get most of the model kit right without doing too much work other than spend a few hours on the computer and see how things on the car should look, of course it's preferable if you have access to a real car because it will help a lot.
When it comes to smaller details like wiring and plumbing there are lots of information on that too so it's not that hard to get right either, and it helps if you know what the purpose of the parts on the car are like the oil coolers, expansion tank for the cooling system, fuel tanks, fuel pumps, oil reservior, oil pumps and so on, so to have some basic knowledge about the car and how it's engineered is good because If you know how things looks and works it's a lot easier to understand what to do.

Edited by Force

On 4/23/2021 at 5:42 PM, Matt Bacon said:

The engineering and design quality is extraordinary. There are a few nit-picky inaccuracies in the plumbing and wiring of the engine, but do not underestimate the care the people who designed and tooled this have for the original. Meng's entire range speaks to a bunch of people with a deep interest in the hobby and a passion for their subjects, with some limits on their access to prototypes, but huge enthusiasm for new ways of building kits. Their 1/72 F-106, 1/48 P-51, 1/35 Merkavas, 1/32 Fokker Dr/1 and Toon kits just demonstrate an alternative way of thinking in modern times that is the spiritual successor of the Revell and Monogram of the late 60s- early 70s.

Apologies if this ain't a popular view, but it's the way I see it.

Yes, I know Meng makes very good military models, but at least the 1:12 version of the GT40 has quite a few mechanical parts that just don't look realistic.  Those silly grooved brake rotors are just one example. Looking at the photos of the build threads here, to me some parts look coo clunky, or not shaped like properly scaled parts.  For example the ribs in the model's transmission housing have relatively sharp edges, where the 1:1 version (metal castign0 has smooth rounded ribs). Stuff like that makes the model look toyish.  It is hard to describe, but some models just look "right", while some look more like toys (approximation of truly scale models).  Again, I'm not talking about the overall shape of the body, just the mechanical detail parts that miss the mark for me.

If their designers have deep interest in the hobby, and a passion for their subjects, I'm not sure how they didn't quite get the smaller detail pars right.

well put Matt... 

I for one will definitely be in for one of the new 1/24 cars. even if I have to buy a photo etch upgrade kit, or swap a set of valve covers, some knock offs,  and a carb from something else....

We, (even me) are nitpicking details that we will barely see sitting on a table 3 feet away. I see everything on a 27 monitor.  even at 1/8 scale these details are twice life size or bigger

I gotta believe that by the time we get  these kits they will be just fine.  The hobby is changing, we'll be OK...

Edited by Ralph Henderson

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the fujimi rear window shape is clearly more accurate. I like the meng hood. All in all the new kit looks great to me. I wonder if the fijimi rear body would fit the meng kit. I think it would probably look great if left open to show the engine, which is what I would do anyway.

5dd26c6a57a35.jpg

1966_Ford_GT40MarkII-0-1024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I could not wait to get one of these :)  Big fan of Meng kits and the GT40!!!

As Rex posted above,  this looks like a Mk 2 GT40.  The parts are crisply molded. Meng's engineering is always great.  You can basically press fit this model together. 

For me, there were some areas that disappointed. The engine has some parts that are just flat out unacceptable in this day an age.

IMG_1912.thumb.JPG.cc5a5c7d895b643b29a14c3254b17af2.JPG

IMG_1916.thumb.JPG.6eb22270303c33875a5f85d7607931a2.JPGIMG_1915.thumb.JPG.b69a31175a5c88925af5275db2bd06b2.JPG

IMG_1918.thumb.JPG.9341b7c3bfff978fcbffb1a090550c38.JPG

IMG_1919.thumb.JPG.2d00e5f8d303f1654e592796fa840cd4.JPG

IMG_1920.thumb.JPG.06698055eae20dfa848d50da1ad12160.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

Edited by Randy D

Next were the seats which do not have any groments  cast in, just a hole with a peg in it.

The paint masks are not die cut,  you need to cut them out.

IMG_1924.thumb.JPG.0dd7ffa425c2b71bb7e627c92300ebdf.JPG

The decals are separated at every panel line???? Don't know if that is good or bad!

Randy 

IMG_1921.JPG

Edited by Randy D

15 minutes ago, Randy D said:

But all my complaining aside I will build it!     I'm thinking that a replacement motor can be sourced. Transaxle just needs a little love:)  

Randy

Agree.  Now if we only had a source for a more accurate engine. 😉