Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meng 1/24 Yes 1/24 1966 GT40

jacko

15 hours ago, AlbertD said:

I just ordered the Meng kit off ebay. I made an offer of $40 and they accepted it. That's with free shipping. That's a darn good deal if you ask me.

Yes that is a great price.  The Ebay prices on some of the Fujumi kits are ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 10:46 PM, Randy D said:

Hi Folks,

I could not wait to get one of these :)  Big fan of Meng kits and the GT40!!!

As Rex posted above,  this looks like a Mk 2 GT40.  The parts are crisply molded. Meng's engineering is always great.  You can basically press fit this model together. 

For me, there were some areas that disappointed. The engine has some parts that are just flat out unacceptable in this day an age.

IMG_1912.thumb.JPG.cc5a5c7d895b643b29a14c3254b17af2.JPG

IMG_1916.thumb.JPG.6eb22270303c33875a5f85d7607931a2.JPGIMG_1915.thumb.JPG.b69a31175a5c88925af5275db2bd06b2.JPG

IMG_1918.thumb.JPG.9341b7c3bfff978fcbffb1a090550c38.JPG

IMG_1919.thumb.JPG.2d00e5f8d303f1654e592796fa840cd4.JPG

IMG_1920.thumb.JPG.06698055eae20dfa848d50da1ad12160.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

Ouch...looks very simplified...and they still states they have done the best GT40 MkII ever...yeah right. :rolleyes:

On 7/3/2021 at 3:34 AM, keyser said:

Which side oiler? Mono Cobra? Or Tbolt?

All 427's was not Side Oilers because the 427 came in 1963 and the Side Oiler didn't come out until 1965 so the Tbolt is out if you want a Side Oiler...the engine in the Tbolt is a 427 High Riser with a Top Oiler block.
The 3D printed engine Mad Mike does looks about right for the GT40 427 with the correct dry sump oil system.

Edited by Force

On 7/2/2021 at 4:36 PM, vamach1 said:

Agree.  Now if we only had a source for a more accurate engine. 😉

Mine arrived last week.  One thought was to swap in the 427 from a Monogram Cobra and attach it to the Meng transaxle.  Not as detailed as using the MadMike motor, but I might use that inthe second kit.

2 hours ago, djflyer said:

Mine arrived last week.  One thought was to swap in the 427 from a Monogram Cobra and attach it to the Meng transaxle.  Not as detailed as using the MadMike motor, but I might use that inthe second kit.

Sounds like a good plan. I know next to nothing about the GT40 so will have to do some learning before I modify anything. I’ll do the first one from the box and concentrate on the external looks and go deeper on a second one. I’m really looking forward to seeing what you more experienced modelers do with the kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my Meng GT40 and happy with it. Going through the kit, Meng did a fantastic job at capturing the GT40. Is it perfect, no, but it is a great start for an accurately detailed replica, yes indeed! Hopefully, we will see some detail accessories for this kit appear soon. BTW, the plastic casting is well done.

Edited by BobbyG
  • Like 1

Mine was delivered. Unfortunately it was delivered in Georgia. I live in Washington. The seller had decent ebay feedback but the show as no longer active. I put in a claim and will hopefully get a refund. Oh well, I'll try again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 11:17 AM, jacko said:

I think the fujimi rear window shape is clearly more accurate. I like the meng hood. All in all the new kit looks great to me. I wonder if the fijimi rear body would fit the meng kit. I think it would probably look great if left open to show the engine, which is what I would do anyway.

5dd26c6a57a35.jpg

1966_Ford_GT40MarkII-0-1024.jpg

Oof yeah. I'm pretty excited for the Meng kit but that rear window is an eye sore. I wonder if they based it off a particular prototype? Otherwise some sanding and puttying would be needed to round off those corners.

11 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Looks good Marco. I was just going through the box on mine trying to decide if it's my next build. How are the kit decals?

Thanks! The decals are slightly out of register and a bit hard/brittle. I considered them one of the downsides of the kit together with the very shallow lines of the doors and hatches. I had to dig them.

Build-wise it is fantastic. A real pleasure.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 9:16 PM, sfhess said:

Throttle linkage is interesting.

The more of this model I see, the more it is apparent how crudely the details are designed.  It is as if they wanted to produce a simplified representation of the vehicle rather than a scale model. It looks toysh, not like a finely molded scale model.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:32 AM, peteski said:

The more of this model I see, the more it is apparent how crudely the details are designed.  It is as if they wanted to produce a simplified representation of the vehicle rather than a scale model. It looks toysh, not like a finely molded scale model.

x 2: I generally think the Fujimi is more true to the original:  the body shape of this Meng Mk II doesn't convince me - roof and back look too rounded, a-pillars too wide, windows miss the sharp edges and the wheels look too small.

Best of both worlds would probably be to combine the Fujimi Mk II with the drivetrain of the Meng kit

Despite Marco's superb finishing skills, The engine looks like a well painted toy, as Pete noted.

The Knock Offs are huge!

I predict many disappointed modelers and a bunch of half finished builds, followed by a general sales slump and quick fade from the market. 

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Despite Marco's superb finishing skills, The engine looks like a well painted toy, as Pete noted.

The Knock Offs are huge!

I predict many disappointed modelers and a bunch of half finished builds, followed by a general sales slump and quick fade from the market. 

Exactly.  I should have mentioned in my earlier post that Marcos' building and painting skills are superb.  The toyish appearance in not due to anything he did. It is OOB build.

Well, after seeing this latest version of the GT40 I'll stick with my IMC/Testors Mk1, Mk2 & MkIV...........and the IMCTestors  kits come with a proper engine, the Ford Quad Cam 255in Indy motor, and a nice "bundle of snakes".......if only I could find the J Car the set would be complete..........andyd.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2021 at 9:08 AM, cobraman said:

HobbyEasy doesn't take Paypal. 😐

I know this is months old but Hobby Easy does take Paypal. When filling out the payment info just select the Bank Deposit option for Mainland China only. 

Then down at the bottom request a paypal invoice and he'll send you one  in a day or so. 

Or just email him and he'll send you an invoice that way. That's what I did the first time around but I think after that he told me to just use the Bank Deposit option then add in a remark for a paypal invoice. That's how I've been doing it for years now and never an issue.

Just got our shipment of these kits in at my shop and I'm honestly fairly impressed. The moldings are a lot finer "in the hand" then they appear when photographed. The slide molding for the scoops on the rear deck is fantastic. The all-in-one engine front cover actually has one of the nicest harmonic balancers I've seen engraved in a kit in a long time and the alternator is pretty good too. About my biggest actual complaint is that the panel lines for the doors on the roof are somewhat faint and could definitely stand a pass or two with a scriber. Plus everything has nicely laid out mounting pins and lugs so I doubt anyone would have too much of a challenge building a lovely GT40 out of this box.