Model Cars Magazine Forum

Micro Pin Vice Bits.

There are many different companies offering some very nice Pin Vice sets. Most of them are offered in different size ranges. I have two different sized vices and depending on the size of the bit I use decides which vice I use. 

22 minutes ago, espo said:

There are many different companies offering some very nice Pin Vice sets. Most of them are offered in different size ranges. I have two different sized vices and depending on the size of the bit I use decides which vice I use. 

I need the smallest bits possible.

I have plenty of the larger bits, and my vices will accommodate the smallest bits.

A set with bits small enough for a single strand of wire for fuel lines, and smaller.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 minute ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I need the smallest bits possible.

I have plenty of the larger bits.

A set with bits small enough for a single strand of wire for fuel lines, and smaller.

Steve

Any good Hobby Shop or even Hobby Lobby should be able to provide you with the vice it's self. The tool I rely on has a small clear plastic dome over a black colored base and has drill bit sizes from #80 or 0135 thru # 61 or 039. This should give you several size options depending on the size of your fuel lines. My other option is a couple of different somewhat larger pin vices that contain some slightly larger bits in the handle. 

Steven, you should find the thread below useful.  Whenever possible, I prefer to use the PC-board (PCB) Tungsten-Carbide (TC) drill bits.  They are super hard, super sharp (split-point sharpened), and have 1/8" shanks (easily held in any pin vise).  But they are very brittle, so the smaller sizes require very steady hand and gentle touch.

I bought a set of these recently at my local hobby shop. They are the best ones I have found so far.

Vallejo T101002 Drill Set-wire gauge – sizes in U.S. inches Including sliding top index storage dispenser. Twenty high-speed steel drill bits with a handy slide-top box that releases only chosen drill bit. Drill numbers: 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 78,79, 80.

Edited by NOBLNG

If you have a couple of "favorite" drill sizes, think about getting a pack of each size, and also getting extra pin vises or mandrels to hold each "favorite" size bit.  Getting a pack of ten of a particular size bit really isn't that expensive.  If you use the pin vise for one, and only one, size bit won't make it sloppy for smaller size bits later on.  Look on eBay (or elsewhere) for industrial bits, the hobby oriented bits sold in sets or at Snap-On East (Harbor Freight) won't be as well made, and will wear out faster.  You'll probably break an industrial quality bit by accident before it wears out.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

If you have a couple of "favorite" drill sizes, think about getting a pack of each size, and also getting extra pin vises or mandrels to hold each "favorite" size bit.  Getting a pack of ten of a particular size bit really isn't that expensive.  If you use the pin vise for one, and only one, size bit won't make it sloppy for smaller size bits later on.  Look on eBay (or elsewhere) for industrial bits, the hobby oriented bits sold in sets or at Snap-On East (Harbor Freight) won't be as well made, and will wear out faster.  You'll probably break an industrial quality bit by accident before it wears out.

Dedicated vises for a commonly used bit size is a great suggestion. I've been doing that for awhile now. I pin a lot of assemblies together using sewing pins. So i have a vise set up specifically with the bit I use to make the hole for those pins. That way i always know it's the right size, and it's ready to go at a moments notice. 

10 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

If you need something other than a "Hobby" grade, you should be able to find it here. https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-bits  Been buying my drill bits here for quite a while.  They are not the cheap stuff you get in a tin pack, but then I am using them for some precision drilling in brass and aluminum. 

Pete, I'm going to investigate the industrial bits. as i dabble more and more in brass the hobby bits won't even touch drilling through bras, and barely aluminum.  

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Dedicated vises for a commonly used bit size is a great suggestion. I've been doing that for awhile now. I pin a lot of assemblies together using sewing pins. So i have a vise set up specifically with the bit I use to make the hole for those pins. That way i always know it's the right size, and it's ready to go at a moments notice. 

Pete, I'm going to investigate the industrial bits. as i dabble more and more in brass the hobby bits won't even touch drilling through bras, and barely aluminum.  

If you get a good mill or drill press then you can use the circuit board carbide drills.  They are super sharp but are quite brittle.  You have a high risk of snapping them with a hand held pin vice.  They don't take flexing well so you need the control of a mill or drill press.  

DSC00145.JPG

Edited by Pete J.

4 hours ago, Zippi said:

As mentioned above.  I just bought a set at Harbor Freight.  

https://www.harborfreight.com/high-speed-steel-micro-drill-bit-set-30-pc-61526.html

Harbor freight and Princess Auto are hit and miss at the very best. For 3 bucks you might get a few useful bits...but if you zoom in on the picture in your link you can see how well sharpened the smaller ones on the right are.😬

Most of the stuff we are rehashing here (PCB carbide bits, good quality HSS twist drill bits, and poor quality bits) has been mentioned in the thread I pointed to earlier).  It would probably even make sense to even merge those two threads.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:51 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

Yep! I use .023" wire brads, and always keep a pin vise out and ready, specifically for that purpose.