Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buick Skylark 1965

Reuhkapelti2

Hi there. 

This Buick was made using '64 Pontiac GTO kit. I made new bumpers, new flipping hood , modified the sides. The chassis is GTO. I made new thick exhaust pipes and the SBC 400 cid got TH400 transmission. Lots of self made parts were placed under the hood. There's a building story in Work in Progress. The real car is in Finland. 

Thanks for looking, feel free to comment. 

IMG_20210416_145416.jpg

IMG_20210416_221320.jpg

IMG_20210416_145356.jpg

IMG_20210416_145500.jpg

Very nice! Not perfect, but very nice, and that's coming from someone who drove a '65 Special in high school and often wishes he had it back. I couldn't have built this model, and you did, so, you win! ^_^ Well done and model on! 

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very nice! Not perfect, but very nice, and that's coming from someone who drove a '65 Special in high school and often wishes he had it back. I couldn't have built this model, and you did, so, you win! ^_^ Well done and model on! 

Very nice job on that, I'm jealous.  I'm with Snake, I drove a '65 Skylark Gran Sport in high school and wish I had the talent to build this body.

Thanks everybody for your kind comments.

There's a few mistakes I made but after all I'm quite happy with the result. Chevelle body could be a bit easier starting point, if one could find other than wagon kit. The bumpers are always the big challenge when it's a 60-70 Buick. But they were and still are so great cars. 

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

12 hours ago, Reuhkapelti2 said:

There's a few mistakes I made but after all I'm quite happy with the result. Chevelle body could be a bit easier starting point, if one could find other than wagon kit. The bumpers are always the big challenge when it's a 60-70 Buick. But they were and still are so great cars. 

You should be very proud of it. B)

I don't think the Chevelle would have been a better starting point, especially if you started with the Revell kit, which has a poorly shaped roof. 

If I were to try this, I think I'd start with the '66 Skylark. That's a VERY rare kit but the dirt-track version isn't that uncommon. The wheel openings are different between '65 and '66 so having to scratchbuild those wouldn't be that big a deal. I'd cut off the roof and replace it with one from the '65 GTO, then put the "hips" of the rear fenders/quarters on a slimming diet. The custom taillight treatment in the original '66 kit is right in the ballpark of the '65 Skylark rear end, if you could come up with one. The front bumper would have to be modified. The whole front and rear ends wouldn't be quite right, as the '65 body is more "upright" and less rakish than the '66, but it would be close enough for me. 

But I know me, I doubt I'd ever get it finished, so, oh well. You DID get it done, and in remarkably little time, too, considering the effort required. Again, RESPECT to you, sir!