Model Cars Magazine Forum

1928 Lincoln Sport Touring

ModelcarJR

On 4/28/2021 at 4:35 PM, ModelcarJR said:

Thanks, Charlie! I appreciate your comment! I do own an Iwata compressor and two Badger 150 air brushes.  The reason I don't use them more often has to do with my painting situation. I have to paint everything outdoors on my patio and moving the compressor, air brush, paint, empty botttle, lacquer thinner can, screwdriver for the lacquer thinner can lid, cleaning rag and model parts to be painted is a PITA! I have no place in the house or garage to set up a permanent paint booth with the proper venting.

But I have been inspired to paint MCW paint on occasion, like this beautiful  65 Pontiac GTO painted in Evening Orchid Metallic, also known as Iris Mist. I haven't used MCW since I bought a couple of bottles just after the change in ownership and both bottles of paint flaked and peeled off.  Maybe they have their act together now and I'll try them again but I will have to be inspired to go through set-up and clean-up for airbrushing. It couldn't have been the painter! 😁

enhance

Here's a pic of the front of the 28 Lincoln. As soon as I finish the rear this one will be done! Thanks for looking! 

enhance

1. That is really coming out nicely.

2. For right now, I'm using my sun porch, so I completely understand about the less-than-idea painting area. And, because there's no plug on the porch, I have to open the window in the kitchen, and run my airbrush out the window. I have a Craftsman 6-gallon pancake (great little compressor that does a lot well) that lives next to the kitchen table. At least with the sun porch, I have a ceiling fan and opening windows, so it does vent reasonably well.

As far as a permanent station, my nearish-term (probably this summer) plan is to mount a small spray-booth to an old printer cart I got for free from a company that was going out of business. I can mount the booth on this, and move the compressor up into my main work-room.

3. Michael has had any initial problems resolved. The paint he's selling now is working correctly and, in some ways, seems better than before in some respects.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks, Rusty, Carl, Charlie and Jay! I appreciate your comments!  Yes, Carl, there are a couple of gangster figures, pistols, a rifle and a machine gun. Also included are about 3 boxes to build to fill with clear bottles of booze! But I won't be building or using any of them. 

This one is finished! I had my problems with this one, some self-inflicted but others are just due to the poorly manufactured kit. I used  the outer black line of a Camaro decal for the pinstripe down each side because it was thinner and adhered to the body better than the 30 year old decal in the kit. It was a battle but it is done except for 1 or 2 touch-ups! Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

• 2 weeks later...