Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can a gutted supercharger be used as a turbo intake manifold?

Let’s say it’s a factory supercharger. Could a budget semi-custom manifold be made removing the rotors, with a block off plate for the throttle body and an inlet to replace the snout?

Thanks. Cheapskate in Chillicothe

Edited by LDO

I saw an old roots style supercharger case which held a carburetor inside instead of the rotors. Looked like it was factory made, not some hobbled up backyard creation. I guess you would then put an injector hat on top to complete the disguise. I thought it was pretty cool. You wouldn't have the power of a blown engine, but then, you wouldn't have the expense of a full working blower, nor need the beefed up engine or drivetrain to go with it. A poor mans blown engine look I guess.  I saw it at the York PA streetrod show flea market years ago. Wish I would have bought it. 

Jeff 

Engineering wise the huge volume of the blower case would be counterproductive for building boost from your turbochargers. Also where are the butterflies to be located and controlled? I would think an engine built that was would have very poor throttle response. Might work for an LSR effort though.