Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Nissan Skyline GT-R by Fujimi

Spottedlaurel

Having completed several other kits recently I was in a position where I could start something else. It was my birthday last weekend and I thought it would be appropriate to pick something the same age as me, so delving around amongst the stuff from 1970 I picked this Skyline:

51122654685_e8b7cc3e73_b.jpg

1:24 Fujimi Nissan Skyline KPGC10 GT-R kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I think it's a 1990 issue and I've had it since 1992/93. About time I should get on with it.......

51121606989_0d5a4c9f46_b.jpg

I have no shortage of reference material as it features in many books and magazines, I even have this old Japanese sales brochure.

As I also have the more detailed Tamiya version of this Skyline I had originally planned to build this more extreme/silly than my usual style, with arch flares from a Fujimi accessory set and very wide wheels. However, I wasn't crazy about the look of them and I didn't want to get into a more involved build as I already have another couple on the go, so I'll go for my usual style of straight, original bodywork, lowered and sitting on aftermarket wheels.

But what colour? Gunmetal seems to be a popular choice, as per this replica I saw at a show a few years ago:

14646655382_be96e3012c_b.jpg

1972 Nissan Skyline 2000 GT (C10) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

14646657962_17b825f164_b.jpg

1972 Nissan Skyline 2000 GT (C10) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

However, I rarely go for the obvious. I came very close to choosing an orangey-gold as on the brochure car, but I think that would look better on one of the several 4-door versions I have in the stash.

51121293487_ac047888b2_b.jpg

I was going to do it metallic black, than I found this tin of TS-94 metallic grey which I think should suit it well. I thought that it might need a bit of help from a black undercoat, so I took advantage of the decent weather today and managed to get a few coats over the grey primer:

51121863641_4af13c8b96_b.jpg

51121770198_9e3ff6c33a_b.jpg

51121606894_fca83df21f_b.jpg

Mocked-up with the Star Formula wheels I'm planning to use. They are wider than the standard open steels it comes with, but with the chunky inner rim sawn off they fit neatly beneath the arches (nowhere near the surgery I had to go through on the Celica). It also means I have some very useful 4-stud 14" steel wheels for a future project which I aready have in mind......

The filler was just to cover up small sink marks at the front of the wing and where I shaved the badges behind the wheels. Only bodywork mod undertaken is to open up the exhaust cut-out so I can fit something with a larger tailpipe.

It's a fairly basic curbside kit and the suspension detail is limited, but it doesn't suffer from having been motorized. Overall proportions seem good, it's certainly a better effort than Fujimi's saloon version of the same generation Skyline. Like I say, when I want to do a more detailed build I have the Tamiya kit.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

21 hours ago, m3fan said:

Great work so far Nigel.

I have the Tamiya version of this kit to do and after I saw the car in Safari Gold decision made for me.

Keep up the good work,

Russ

Thanks Russ. Just done a search on the Safari Gold, looks good on the C10 and Fairlady. Not a million miles off the Ochre colour of my 1:1 Datsun 1200.

4 hours ago, dublin boy said:

They were so fast they actually banned them from racing as far as I remember.

I think they racked up many successive victories until the rotary-engined Mazdas took over, and Nissan didn't race the next-gen C110 GT-R (which was presumably a bit heavier).

Got some colour and clearcoat onto it today:

51124807180_51376d5230_b.jpg

51124006236_4c0fc6fe58_b.jpg

It certainly needs the black undercoat. There were a couple of points where I'd gone through to the grey primer and I had to put a few coats of the metallic grey to cover it. Next time I'll make sure the black undercoat gives absolutely full coverage.

For the clear I used an automotive Halfords acrylic, which went over the Tamiya paint with no issue. I had a really good result with it on the recently-completed Celica and I only had a partial tin of TS-13 left. I like the dark grey 'colour', although I was surprised about the heavy flake effect.

51124002521_78482e8487_b.jpg

Varying shades/finishes of black on everything else, with a bit of plastic wood inside.

On 4/19/2021 at 9:02 PM, Dann Tier said:

This is gonna be sweet!!!  love the kolor!!!

On 4/19/2021 at 9:34 PM, Mattilacken said:

Nice! I like the stance

On 4/21/2021 at 4:09 AM, Italianhorses said:

Great start!

Thanks all! It's coming together well, as to be hoped for a relatively simple kit. I had to trim the front of the floorpan and arches to get it fitting in and out of the bodyshell without fear of something breaking.

51136226457_0fb68bf7bd_b.jpg

1:24 Fujimi Nissan Skyline GT-R kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Micromesh and resin polished the bodywork in the week. The automotive clear smoothed out nicely.

Time for another trial-fit:

51136226422_db55e09af2_b.jpg

51137675549_b3150c7149_b.jpg

I will probably cut out the side glass, as I like to do on anything that's pillarless. It also has one or two moulding marks and scratches so it will be good to get rid of them, although I'm still going to have to try and polish one out on the windscreen.

51138007550_75f5ef5076_b.jpg

I've lowered it by around 3"/75mm in scale. Back was easy, just slotting the holes for the metal axle. At the front I took material off the top of the struts then cut off the original lower mounts and attached new ones higher-up on the crossmember.

Interior is largely painted and there's not much left to do on the basic suspension so it's now down to BMF brightwork, detailing the grille, lights etc then final assembly.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:23 PM, adamelvis said:

Cool !  Nice work so far.!!

Thanks Adam.

On 4/26/2021 at 12:43 AM, Sandboarder said:

Just found this one. What an awesome little build! From memory the TS-94 has a lot of metallic flakes and will look great in the sun!! 

Keen to see the interior and BMF work

Thank you Chris. BMF is currently underway and here's the interior - nothing fancy!

1:24 Fujimi Nissan Skyline GT-R kit

Sadly I messed-up the gauge decals, but they'd hardly have been visible so I left them gloss black.

Request to other kit makers - this is how plated bumpers should be attached to the sprues! Just a shame they've got a tiny bit of flash, but I'm going to live with it.

I successfully carried out the job that makes me most nervous - cutting the glass to get rid of the side windows. Can't have a pillarless car with them wound-up......

Starting to get a few bits onto the car to give it some identity.

Stocktake:

The plated sprue is from a Fujimi accessory set, to give me a larger silencer and tailpipe set-up. The wheel centres have been painted bronze to give it at least a tiny bit of colour.

Where it's at now. Panel lines given a matt black wash, fitting of lights etc underway, BMF done on the front screen surround with the remainder still to do. After an extended weekend with a public holiday today I've also got a day off tomorrow, would be good to make use of the time and get it across the line.

16 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

Looking good!

9 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Nigel,

That's looking killer! The body color and  stance are perfect and I really like the bronze added to the wheel centers. That will set it off just right. Great work, as usual.

Later-

6 hours ago, drodg said:

Impressive.

Thanks Alex, Tom and David.

Finished it today, now Under Glass: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/161960-fujimi-1970-nissan-skyline-gt-r/