Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Chevy BelAir

crazyjim

We took on a '55 Chevy BelAir for a club build.  Get the kit and do anything you want to it.  This is what I came up with and it's not the best I've ever done.  The chrome BMF is killing me.  Paint is two tone Pearl-ex interference violet over black and grey primers.  The kit had only 2 mag wheels and I was able to get another pair from a club member.  The cowl induction hood was made by cutting 2 lines, bending upwards, and filling with Evergreen strips.

DSCN5010.JPG

DSCN5042.JPG

DSCN5043.JPG

DSCN5044.JPG

DSCN5046.JPG

Nice one Jim! You mentioned BMF giving you grief. I’ve noticed that it doesn’t seem as good as it used to be. It doesn’t trim as well or stick to the surface like it used to. Wonder if they changed it? Anyway, nice 55, clean and sharp! 

2 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

Thank you Christopher.

I talked with BMF and was told they ran out of NEW IMPROVED CHROME stickers and switched to a new supplier for CHROME.  The new supplier isn't equipped to get the BMF as thin as before.

Not good to hear about the BMF because just about all of us use it quite a lot.  I bought the ultra chrome stuff and it's just not a good as the old school stuff. I think it's definately thinner.

Nice work Jim. What do you use for the turn signals? I realize it's just a small detail but I really like the look on this model..

I noticed with the most recent sheet of BMF I purchased it doesn't blend as well at corners probably due to the thickness of the sheet as you mentioned. The previous sheet I used however was a bit too thin like Mike mentioned and there were cracks throughout the sheet and it was difficult to use. 

Edited by AMT68

7 hours ago, AMT68 said:

The previous sheet I used however was a bit too thin like Mike mentioned and there were cracks throughout the sheet and it was difficult to use. 

The last sheet of BMF I bought was like that--probably the last sheet of it I'll EVER buy. A complete waste of $8, or however much it was. :angry: