Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Chevy 60's Street Custom

Dennis Lacy

On 5/5/2021 at 2:10 PM, CabDriver said:

Ohhhh, those seats are COOL!"

Looked in my kit...it doesn't have them 🙄😂.  Guess they weren't in every reissue..

PM me if you need a set of those seats some time.

On 4/19/2021 at 1:33 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

I know a lot of you '57 Chevy purists are gonna hate that I cut off the angled fins and that's fine! I like it so that's what matters, LOL!

I'm late to the party on this one but, as I have said before...I hate big-a** chunky bumpers so I'm loving this!

Edited by BDSchindler

OK... well not just OK, but OK! 

Brother, when you first shared your '57 project with @Rocking Rodney Rat and me, I wasn't sure where you were headed with it.  Back in the day, the kustom parts provided in the early release of this kit were a bit over the top.  And, when RRR asked if you were going to chop the top, I cheered you on... but, now that I see the mods you made to the body, I agree with you re not chopping the top!  btw, the offer still stands... I'll be more than delighted to ship you my stash of '57 Chevys, Brother!

Including the '57 Nomad I mastered for Scale Equipment Ltd.

1746039956_57NomadKit.jpg.e47a26f4d7f52ed8c65b923c204577b5.jpg 

On 5/11/2021 at 5:53 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I'm not sure how I missed this post (I've been kept up with texts, tho).... Really looking fine. Are you SURE you're not going to give it a slight haircut??? J/K... Carry on.

Metalflake red? If you can still find any of the disco'd Testors One Hit/Extreme Revving Red, that would be PERFECT!! -RRR

Thanks! I’m gonna do Champagne Gold on the body but am considering a red metal flake on the roof like Tamiya’s Mica Red which I think would look awesome over the base color. We’ll see...

On 5/11/2021 at 5:13 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Extremely cool project. I have always wanted to do a smooth customer like this, but have never had the vision to create one. 

Thanks, Mark! This is my first rodeo and had no idea how things would go. Just had to jump in and give it a try!

On 5/13/2021 at 10:09 AM, TransAmMike said:

Definately a cool looking '57 Dennis.   Being a huge '57 Chevy fan I would ordinarily frown on modifying "perfection" and I've never been a fan of any rad custom but I gotta say, your's looks pretty awesome.👌

Thanks, Mike! I’m generally not into 50’s cars whether they are stock, custom or anywhere between so I’m totally winging it here. That said it’s nice to hear some positive feedback from someone who is a ‘57 Chevy fan with strong feelings against messing with the original design. 

On 5/13/2021 at 8:11 AM, Dan Hay said:

Dang Dennis that thing is wild!  But yet restrained.  There is a fine line between cool and ugly on these 60s radical customs, and you are nailing the balance.  I love the slicks and roll cage on a custom!

Thanks a bunch, Dan! If I were ever to build a custom out of a 50’s car full scale I could never have a slow, stock motored cruiser like so many of them were. Mine would have to have some balls! 🤣

UPDATE!

Got back to the workbench today and focused on setting up the final details, most of which are under the hood. I started by filling that giant hole in the middle of the firewall AMT leaves you with and in doing that I eliminated the center “hump” to gain a little more distributor clearance for the big “409”.  I then pinned the kits heater blower motor housing and battery, pinned an outsourced master cylinder and made a simple ignition coil and pinned it as well. Out back I trimmed away some of the molded in tailpipes and fit some separate chrome tips from Revell’s 1940 Ford street rods. At this point I think everything is accounted for so it’s time to get primer on the body to see where I’m at. 

BCC71209-740F-4A9E-A5ED-2E95B7D6AEBE.thumb.jpeg.d89a5e44343ac5e435c453a2c644661d.jpeg

52553D0D-E71F-4DE0-95E2-E5E0DD795E7A.thumb.jpeg.3aade70229cf9fca253a4a35ab256071.jpeg

FCA1DEB7-C169-47FB-B808-8F9CE115A3C7.thumb.jpeg.b710575acac8a1ced70cc7024a302367.jpeg

24FF3A7A-C363-4C96-8C5F-44B0B0F56E83.thumb.jpeg.182c572dbf929422edb5fc99a3ecd61b.jpeg

On 5/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, larman said:

Another tremendous build you have going! You make it look easy! I appreciate that you show your work, it is really a great asset to this site.

Thanks! It definitely doesn’t always feel as easy as it looks. 🤣

On 5/17/2021 at 8:41 AM, Phildaupho said:

Great to see you doing a custom and I really like your choice of modification which you have executed very well. I am really looking forward to seeing this painted and completed.

Thanks, Phil! I have the hot rods pretty well figured out I think so I felt like it was time to try something out of my comfort zone. I’m actually having a good time so I’ll have to do more of these “late models” once in a while. 😎