Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT 2006 Polar Lights Snap Kit: WIP

David G.

Hey Everybody!

Finally, I've started putting some decals down.

I figured that I'd start with most challenging bit and place the outlines on the racing stripe first.

FordGT06_55.jpg.a5922ba7290883953a5d276539ef1367.jpg

These decals seem to be extremely shiny. I'm considering a clear coat after placing all the decals.

That should work over the bare polished plastic, right?

FordGT06_56.jpg.7e5550ce889f992da6fbf8fc6742659e.jpg

There are flaws, but If you can't see them, I'm not pointing them out to you.  :D 

Any way, that's all for now.

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to leave a comment.

David G.

Hello everyone!

I managed to get the last of the decals placed and settled.

FordGT06_57.jpg.6cd2635701ff99e9c2c2a1e7aff04ee0.jpg

I still have to work out what to do about the marker lights and I'm just not happy with most of the panel lines.

FordGT06_59.jpg.e2f21c25173d29ce5bdd94b386058390.jpg

The panel lines on the roof should be black because of the door gaskets but the rest of them just don't look right to me. I think I may clean them out and mix slightly darker blue and orange washes for those areas.

FordGT06_58.jpg.9fdd7842e3d063a94b8a9da7b5d08cc0.jpg

As always, thanks for stopping by.

David G.

20 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Looks good so far, I makes me want to finish my pre-painted Polar Lights issue of this kit now to display with that Pantera/GT kit bash I’m working on!

Thanks Joe. You totally should, they'd look great together.

David G.

38 minutes ago, FLHCAHZ said:

looks great Dave.  I saw a video where you can lighten the panel lines with one of those Mr Clean Magic erasers.  I've never tried it though

Thanks Chaz.

I've already done a bit of lightening using mineral spirits and those small pointed swabs made by Tamiya.

I feel fairly confident that I could pretty much remove and replace the ones that I feel need fixing without mucking up anything else.

I'll probably spend today's session working on that.

Thanks again for your tip Chaz, I'll try to see if I can find that video and check it out.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo

On 7/6/2021 at 4:12 AM, FLHCAHZ said:

looks great Dave.  I saw a video where you can lighten the panel lines with one of those Mr Clean Magic erasers.  I've never tried it though

Thanks Chaz.

I've already done a bit of lightening using mineral spirits and those small pointed swabs made by Tamiya.

I feel fairly confident that I could pretty much remove and replace the ones that I feel need fixing without mucking up anything else.

Thanks again for your comment Chaz.

David G.

Hello everyone.

I've made some adjustments to some of the panel lines.

Here is a reminder of where we were.

This is just plain ugly.

FordGT06_58.jpg.63a3b76507de58339ee9ed0ca6acd3ab.jpg

Here's the other side. Not as bad, but could be better.

FordGT06_56.jpg.5f77a3639944229dfcd6463fe26214c8.jpg

Removing the old lines was not too difficult. I'm leaving the lines on the roof alone as those represent the door gaskets and are very dark and prominent in nearly every photo I've seen. 

FordGT06_61.jpg.3d35c16aa309defe01ac4e296b4a5100.jpg

I mixed a thin blue wash to accent the cleaned-out panel lines. It's more subtle, I like it much better.

I also did the hood area at the same time, as can be seen in this photo. It wasn't as heavy as the rear so the difference is less striking.

I may fill in some more at the back edges of the doors.

FordGT06_62.jpg.71919f27c1672dc73246e20b3753e2eb.jpg

I feel so close to completing this one that I've actually started planning my next build B) .

That's all for now.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo

On 7/6/2021 at 7:50 AM, David G. said:

Thanks Chaz.

Thanks again for your tip Chaz, I'll try to see if I can find that video and check it out.

David G.

Looks great!  I dont know why this is making me quote you.  Weird.  What is the next build going to be?

39 minutes ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Looks great!  I dont know why this is making me quote you.  Weird.  What is the next build going to be?

Thanks Chaz.

The next one I'm planning is AMT's 1959 Chrysler Imperial.

amt1136_lg.jpg.e460e21fb28e99c7185c62acacd98c97.jpg

Thanks again,

David G.

OK, I now have a bit of a problem.

I'm also posting this in the Model Building Questions and Answers section where it may be a little more likely to be seen.

(This problem has been addressed. I received some solid tips and advice from the duplicate posting in the Model Building Questions and Answers section. Thank You.)

In anticipation of applying a clear coat to this model I masked off all the flat black trim.

FordGT06_63.jpg.ad1fc8401578231212655d85cc979a49.jpg

I did a test on a couple of the smaller parts to  check compatibility and it looked great.

FordGT06_64.jpg.e803c64dbd11c8f8feee7927e18a69e8.jpg

So I thought I was good to go and decided to start with the smaller nose clip and this happened.

The coat (Tamiya TS-13) laid down unevenly with a couple of rough patches. I applied two or three more coats and things improved a little but not by much. 

FordGT06_65.jpg.513f1cbc9b3c3f86bbda700d8cb11876.jpg

I don't use clear coat often but I have used it before. I know that sometimes it will lay down looking like it has soft fisheyes but will almost always even itself out in about 10 or 20 minutes. This one didn't.

FordGT06_66.jpg.decec7924b2b31ebbc3519bc83d09045.jpg

And the rough patch; there were two, one on each of the two blue areas. The one on the right smoothed out after a couple of coats but the left side one stayed rough.

Prior to painting, I cleaned the entire car in the same manner using Novus Plastic Clean and Shine. Followed of course, by a thorough buffing with a soft polishing cloth. I've never had any problem painting over Novus polish until now.

I think I can smooth and polish the nose piece after it cures but I'm understandably reluctant to shoot the body. So it's masked... and waiting. Waiting until I find a solution to whatever this problem is or I decide to unmask it and proceed to final assembly.

So, um... Help?

I would appreciate any observations or suggestions.

Thanks so much,

David G.

Edited by David G.
Information Update

• David G. changed the title to Ford GT 2006 Polar Lights Snap Kit: WIP