Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT 2006 Polar Lights Snap Kit: WIP

David G.

I bought this one a couple of years ago because I've always liked Ford's GT series- especially the ones in Gulf livery. Since this kit is molded in color, I thought that I would try building it without painting the body, just cleaning up the casting artifacts and polishing it.  When I opened the box to scope out my new kit I was honestly a little disappointed in the shade of blue that it was cast in. So I put it in the closet until my initial disappointment faded.

FordGT06_00.jpg.669123f67b7d660f62efe1aaa11d72f7.jpg

The illustration shows a nice rich blue.

Even the photos of the assembled model shoe a more appealing blue than what I discovered in the box.

FordGT06_00a.jpg.04d184e9cc884abcf98b5e725aa31ed0.jpg

I mean, it's not bad and it's probably accurate, but in my opinion, it doesn't quite match up to what I expected.

Here is some of the basic test fitting of the engine and frame.

FordGT06_01.jpg.83d2c7e790b8d92d70df9ca60e9651b3.jpg

More test fitting of the body and chassis bits.

FordGT06_02.jpg.d065eb14bf4d1573198f3e47e26f806e.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo

I don't think I've ever seen one of these built, or even a proper review of it. What are your impressions as far as accuracy of shape, etc. It looks pretty good in your pictures. Yeah, the blue looks a little too purplish, so paint it!

10 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Definitely more of a powdered or baby blue for sure.  I’m confident that it will be fantastic by the time you are finished!

Thanks for your vote of confidence Chaz, I appreciate that.

9 hours ago, bisc63 said:

I don't think I've ever seen one of these built, or even a proper review of it. What are your impressions as far as accuracy of shape, etc. It looks pretty good in your pictures. Yeah, the blue looks a little too purplish, so paint it!

I've built a couple other Polar Lights kits and I've been very happy with them. This kit, like those others is well engineered and nicely detailed. The overall appearance looks properly proportioned and well designed. It should yield a satisfying model when completed. My own opinion of the molded color notwithstanding, I think the purple hue you're seeing is more a result of the cellphone camera than anything else.

As far as painting, I've pretty much challenged myself with building this one in its molded color. Though I was initially disappointed, the color is beginning to grow on me as I work with it.  Since these initial pics were taken, I have put a coat of black on the inside of the body shell which helped add some substance to the color. I think with the addition of the orange stripe, the decals and detail painting, it'll be a good looking model.

5 hours ago, slusher said:

I think it’s just a little light in color but when your finished it may look much better and satisfying..

I agree Carl. The more I work with this one, the more I begin to like it. 

Thanks you all for your comments. This build is progressing quickly so I should have more photos to post soon.

David G.

Just a quick update.

I have most of the engine assembly roughed together.

FordGT06_04.jpg.12aa87b1ca666ce33a7a6bd8a7a71980.jpg

And of course, test fitting, aways with the test fitting. This time I've added some of the painted interior bits.

FordGT06_05.jpg.748ad5766daf94c972e01c66c3460b4b.jpg

On this one I did a little better at capturing the blue as it appears, at least to my eye.

FordGT06_03.jpg.317eaa6563f3d7943470b1d42cb6de4f.jpg

As always, thanks for stopping to have a look.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo

Nice progress.

I can see why you would have been disappointed. But as said above, with the orange paint and decals, it'll probably look pretty nice. Are you going to clear the body? That may help add depth to the blue also.

Hello Everyone!

The engine and rear frame are finished.

FordGT06_09.jpg.670edb0ae39272985e71b868c4c43348.jpg

Complete with decals and details that will never be seen again. Most of this will not be visible after final assembly.

FordGT06_10.jpg.15e3f8c89f4c383121022092143dc82c.jpg

The interior is nearly done, I just have the dash detailing to do. I should have some photos soon.

Thanks,

David G.

7 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Its so cool watching this one evolve!!!!.....its looking Brilliant, Bud!!!!...i'd just polish this one out too. Need to find this kit -thanks for sharing!!

Thanks Dann.

It is a good kit. It just needs some minor tweaks here and there during assembly. There's a respectable level of detail too, very similar to the Polar Lights Batmobile snapper. If you're familiar with that one.

David G.

Wheels Down!

For me, getting the rubber on the bench has always been the point where a project goes from being a model kit to a model car. I'm satisfied with the ride height on this one too.

FordGT06_13.jpg.a50f0d868c15724bad330e3249b75a0e.jpg

The more I work with the molded-in color, the more it seems to work. The color's not as rich as I would like but I'm beginning to think of it as more of a blank canvas for the stripes and decals which will tend to push the base color into the background establishing a nice contrast. Hopefully, it all ties together well.

FordGT06_14.jpg.16fa15b727c0f782eba9c6fc188ee67e.jpg

Anyway, here is the competed interior on the rolling chassis. Instrument decals are provided. Though minimally detailed and printed in low resolution, I used them anyway. I felt that the little bit of detail boost they added was worth the effort.

FordGT06_15.jpg.e30341764db3473fad3ba496de0088e9.jpg

In addition to a part that is intended to be installed, there is a good bit of detail cast into boot (I refuse to call that.. that... thing  in the front a trunk). That, along with the decals and some details in the engine bay, most of which will not be visible after assembly, make me think that there is a version out there that has opening deck lids. Or maybe such a version was intended.

FordGT06_16.jpg.870708b2b3e853115b3e8d1049f7fb4f.jpg

Now the difficult work begins.

To the body shop!

David G.

23 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

I had not considered adding this kit to my GT40 collection until I saw this write up.  You may have just pushed me over the edge. 😉

Thank you for sharing your efforts with us.

It is a good kit by most standards and it will make for a good looking model, uh as long as I don't mess it up. :) 

You're welcome. I'm glad to know that you've found my post useful.

17 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

This really does look Brilliant!!!!

Thanks Dann. Knowing the level of work you do, your comment means a lot to me.

David G.

Looking good! After commenting on the color, I looked up some photos of the car on the web, and found that the model is much closer in color than I had in mind. Gulf used a color called "powder blue", and in the old pics, it looked very similar! I had in my head a stronger color, closer to "Grabber Blue", but that would be completely wrong. Don't know where I got the notion! Any way, the model is building up beautifully, and I can't help but wonder, too, if there had been a plan for either an opening/hinging option, or possibly a clear body version? Looking forward to the finish!

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Your Ford David has some real nice detail.

Thank you Carl. I'm actually impressed by the detail this kit offers. It's a respectable level of detail for any kit let alone a snapper.

5 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Looking good! After commenting on the color, I looked up some photos of the car on the web, and found that the model is much closer in color than I had in mind. Gulf used a color called "powder blue", and in the old pics, it looked very similar! I had in my head a stronger color, closer to "Grabber Blue", but that would be completely wrong. Don't know where I got the notion! Any way, the model is building up beautifully, and I can't help but wonder, too, if there had been a plan for either an opening/hinging option, or possibly a clear body version? Looking forward to the finish!

Thanks Rusty. That's been pretty much my experience with the color too. I had to take time to overcome my preconceived notions of what I thought the color should be. 

The images on the side of the box certainly didn't help with the management of my expectations. I'm sure that they were chromatically punched up for esthetics sake.

FordGT06_00a.jpg.d9467ea68e6259dc8e666ae67af0f65b.jpg

The blue on the box art is much more appealing to my eye but I've come to accept the reality of the kit.

Thanks, 

David G.

16 hours ago, Mark IV said:

Here are the original "Gulf" colors: https://www.gt40s.com/threads/mark-i-gulf-livery-specs-and-details.53208/post-538488

That kit looks pretty good save for the "off road" tires!

Yeah, those colors look pretty close to what I'm working with. Thanks for the URL.

"Thanks for the compliment too.

"Off road tires" :D that made me chuckle.

David G.

• David G. changed the title to Ford GT 2006 Polar Lights Snap Kit: WIP