Model Cars Magazine Forum

this is the 1/1000th scale polar lights kit  i also used the polar lights 83 piece decal set  for this kit 
in total the model has 99 decals on it  as the  model kit had the other 16 decals  that would need to be added after applying the 83 from the seperate decal set 

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

15 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Very well done!!! I am doing that kit in the traditional TV series style paint. 

thank you   so yours  is going to look like the 60's  version  
the way it looks  now  it fits way better bettween  the nx-01   and the 1701 refit and 1701-a 

54 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Nicely done.

thank you 

Nicely done! I think this is a very handsome design for the Big E, what Roddenberry and the boys might have come up with if they'd had more of a budget! I'm not a fan of the trend of "aztec-ing" Trek ships, but you got all those decals to lay nicely and it does give a certain look to the model. Very cool.

30 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Nicely done! I think this is a very handsome design for the Big E, what Roddenberry and the boys might have come up with if they'd had more of a budget! I'm not a fan of the trend of "aztec-ing" Trek ships, but you got all those decals to lay nicely and it does give a certain look to the model. Very cool.

thank you  the aztecing started  with the tmp refit   1701  and continued  through  today with  most trek ships  i think  the voyager and defiant were the only ones to not have the aztecing 

Right on. My issue is the overstated look. In TMP, it was a pearlescent effect,VERY subtle, and nearly invisible as you backed away even a short distance. It was all about nuance. The newer trend is to slap your eyeballs with something approaching a crossword puzzle! Not a critique of your model or you, just the fashion of the day in Trek kits. TOS is forever my personal fave, no aztec needed or wanted; the grand old lady needs no makeup.

Edited by bisc63
typo

3 hours ago, michelle said:

thank you   so yours  is going to look like the 60's  version  
the way it looks  now  it fits way better bettween  the nx-01   and the 1701 refit and 1701-a 

thank you 

I am going to paint it like this.....a model I built in 1968!!!

ast3.JPG

ast4.JPG

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Right on. My issue is the overstated look. In TMP, it was a pearlescent effect,VERY subtle, and nearly invisible as you backed away even a short distance. It was all about nuance. The newer trend is to slap your eyeballs with something approaching a crossword puzzle! Not a critique of your model or you, just the fashion of the day in Trek kits. TOS is forever my personal fave, no aztec needed or wanted; the grand old lady needs no makeup.

i am not a fan of the  visual aspect of tos   at all for me it is way to dated  and the computer interfaces   on the bridge and other work spaces  on the ships do not look like the future of tech  now  it looks more like it belongs along time ago in a galaxy  far far  away  

2 hours ago, michelle said:

i am not a fan of the  visual aspect of tos   at all for me it is way to dated  and the computer interfaces   on the bridge and other work spaces  on the ships do not look like the future of tech  now  it looks more like it belongs along time ago in a galaxy  far far  away  

When you are old, like me, it's called nostalgia.........and we enjoy it. But I understand what you are saying.....it's all comes down to personal POV!!! 

23 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

When you are old, like me, it's called nostalgia.........and we enjoy it. But I understand what you are saying.....it's all comes down to personal POV!!! 

i don't  get nostalgic  even for things i grew up with as the past is in the past and is better  to stay there 

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Holy cow, that's a lot of decals, nicely done!

That's the version from Discovery, right?

David G.

thank you yes discovery and the upcomming strange new worlds  which will cover pike's final years as captian of the the enterprise  basicly 2258-2265 

Excellent work with this kit - and all of the decals! I have also built this kit and it is a good model. Not a lot of painting needed, but a ton of decals. With patience and a lot of decal setting solution, it turns out looking great! I have also built the USS Discovery - it is also a nice kit with a LOT of decals!

Bart

1 hour ago, bh1701 said:

Excellent work with this kit - and all of the decals! I have also built this kit and it is a good model. Not a lot of painting needed, but a ton of decals. With patience and a lot of decal setting solution, it turns out looking great! I have also built the USS Discovery - it is also a nice kit with a LOT of decals!

Bart

thank you  i did not use any decal setting solution just wetting them and putting them on then using my hair dryer on low to get rid of the rest of the water bubbles under the decals along with dabbing it with a  small micro fiber wash  cloth  the light heat helped the decals set into place and conform to the edges and  panel lines