Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Well this is my 2nd model of the shiny kind.  This is of course the Moebius Model King 69 Ford with the horrible grill. This is the one that got me started in making parts. It starting with the grill.  I swapped out the straight six for a 390 from a 71 kit but had to fix the thermostat housing to be correct for the FE block.  The door panels, rear lower trim, ranger scripts, starter solenoid, brake and gas pedals and slot wheels are also my own 3d printed parts and I scratched a few things like the headliner, wheel well trim and the dash pad.  Parts box pieces are the steering wheel, tires, front bumper, and air cleaner.  I hated how the tailights looked when the red pieces were placed in the chrome housings so I used red transparent paint applied in the chrome housings to get the recessed look I wanted.  Anyways, I hope you enjoy it.  It snowed this morning (April 21) so the pics were done inside with crappy lighting so bare with me on the quality.  I didn't post a WIP on this one but feel free to ask if your curious about anything.  Thanks for looking!   Comments welcome!

69-2.jpg.2470d33863316fb378a8a9dfb42c584b.jpg

69-7.jpg.1f0637a33d03aaf23eca06ec7b6f1314.jpg

69-9.jpg.c763f85523e0b90923377f28c431c7ba.jpg

69-6.jpg.11f065e69d04f40f69c5735e84b3bc03.jpg

69-11.jpg.7e9823c52204d04f5b4c31c0fc7eaf8f.jpg

69-4.jpg.2195c99f401c09fedeeb492f0e5fa6cb.jpg

20200119_114445.thumb.jpg.fee85a9e00bd4605149b769630ffc3a2.jpg

20210402_165126.jpg.c613d90d7cc6306b2476345b3aa26f1c.jpg

20210402_171206_HDR.jpg.5dd29794746eb827bccf56b1fd52d5c8.jpg

20210411_145501.jpg.b9a7ab61161add391a96f1983c7405f1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

absolutely terrific. this is an incredible build and looks amazing. great work. i love the rusted exhaust manifold and the dipstick. you dont see that hardly at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2021 at 9:49 PM, youpey said:

absolutely terrific. this is an incredible build and looks amazing. great work. i love the rusted exhaust manifold and the dipstick. you dont see that hardly at all. 

 

On 4/22/2021 at 3:02 AM, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

 

On 4/22/2021 at 6:57 AM, David G. said:

Great looking engine bay and interior detail.

David G.

 

On 4/22/2021 at 7:18 AM, afx said:

Very nice.

 

On 4/22/2021 at 7:32 AM, mikemodeler said:

Nice work, great details.

 

On 4/22/2021 at 9:32 AM, Steamboat said:

Beautiful truck!

 

On 4/22/2021 at 1:11 PM, cobraman said:

You did a great job !

 

20 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Super nice

 

8 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Looks great, well done!

 

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

Very well done. 

Many Many thanks fellas!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic job on this '69 Ranger Bill!  You once again captured the period look, tu tone paint, aluminum slot wheels, glass packs and very popular aftermarket goodies used in the 70's.  Really like the grill detail work and factory stance and ride height, just the way it should be!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love how well that turned out.  Nice job on the paint and detailing. 

Would you mind elaborating on the issues you had with the kit grille?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I just saw this! You sure did this kit justice! Great work!

Very much appreciated Tom!

23 hours ago, BeakDoc said:

Super nice looking Ford!

Thank you Chris!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, leafsprings said:

Fantastic job on this '69 Ranger Bill!  You once again captured the period look, tu tone paint, aluminum slot wheels, glass packs and very popular aftermarket goodies used in the 70's.  Really like the grill detail work and factory stance and ride height, just the way it should be!

Thank you Tom, I appreciate your comments.  I had to fiddle with the suspension to get the right stance I was looking for.  I also filled the rear peg holes for the bed and just mounted the bed with the rear raised to get the body lines to line up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Monty said:

Love how well that turned out.  Nice job on the paint and detailing. 

Would you mind elaborating on the issues you had with the kit grille?  

Thank you Monty!  The Moebius 69 Ford kit grill has been talked about a lot on this forum.  The grill used in the pics above is one of my own creations.  The kit grill is VERY inaccurate and looks kind of awkward.  The biggest issue on the kit grill is namely the headlight bezels. I think they are way too big. Over the course of a year and with the help of a few guys from this forum, namely Mike (MK11), I came up with what you see on this build to replace the one provided in the kit. Hope this helps,  Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i especially like your fixed grille/headlight doors, if only Moebius had

 put just a little more effort into these  kits ...

Edited by mike 51
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

Thank you Monty!  The Moebius 69 Ford kit grill has been talked about a lot on this forum.  The grill used in the pics above is one of my own creations.  The kit grill is VERY inaccurate and looks kind of awkward.  The biggest issue on the kit grill is namely the headlight bezels. I think they are way too big. Over the course of a year and with the help of a few guys from this forum, namely Mike (MK11), I came up with what you see on this build to replace the one provided in the kit. Hope this helps,  Bill

Bill, did you 3d print the grill?  I'm really curious how you made it.  It looks very accurate.  I've owned a couple of '69 Ford pickups myself.  Also curious about the exhaust, did you make that?  If so, what is your technique for bending the tubing?  I need to make similar exhaust for my '64 C20 project.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Kromolly said:

Bill, did you 3d print the grill?  I'm really curious how you made it.  It looks very accurate.  I've owned a couple of '69 Ford pickups myself.  Also curious about the exhaust, did you make that?  If so, what is your technique for bending the tubing?  I need to make similar exhaust for my '64 C20 project.

Hello Roy, the grill is 3d printed.  I used to sell them and hopefully will again eventually.  I sold lots of them so maybe you can find someone willing to give one up.  The exhaust was a combination of spru bent with jewelry pliers and fat spru sanded down (mufflers) and then I used Q-tips tubing for the ends and just heated them very slightly and bent by hand then snipped off the ends.  Hope this helps!   Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...