Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Mack AC Lumber Truck

8 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

Very well done... Excellent detail... The weathering is very good... Great job on this thing...

Thank you, JT. It was my first try at weathering anything, other than a 1/72 scale tank once, years ago. I was a little nervous, going in, because of the size of the "canvas".

7 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I love seeing trucks from this era being built and displayed. I personally think the is a waiting buyers market for similar vehicles.

I agree, Tom. There haven't been a ton of them from the manufacturers.

7 hours ago, larman said:

Outstanding model! The detail and weathering are excellent!

Thanks, Larry. I appreciate it!

1 hour ago, John1955 said:

Those kits are one of the best ideas Monogram ever had, I see them on eBay sometimes but I strongly suggest that Revell-Monogram re-issue them as they are in great demand. You did a great job on that one. 

Thanks, John. I wonder if Atlantis has these tools?

When I was growing up, my father was a long haul trucker and usually drove one of the older Mack B tractor cabs with Fruehauf flatbed trailers the small trucking company had. They purchased only two new trucks, both Mack COE and only the two senior truckers got to drive them and that included my father sometimes. The Mack B61's were lacking in power steering and the sleeper was tiny and primitive, but they did have AM radios. The new Mack F700 COE's had power steering, A/C and AM/FM radios (mono, not stereo) and comfy sleepers. One reason the company bought only Macks was that they were made locally and so were Fruehauf trailers. 

Anyway, the owner of the company admired historical trucks and bought an ancient, antique 1920's Mack AC tractor cab with an old flatbed trailer which was Fruehauf. All the truckers and the two mechanics, the owner, the kids of the employees volunteered time to restore them. I was too young to give much help but got in the way a lot. Finally, over two years later, the project was finished and a big cook out party was held right in the trucking company lot. I so much wish I had photos of that tractor trailer to post here! I can still remember the odd sound of it's engine and chain drive, and going for a ride in it with my father at the wheel, smiling. 

When Atlantis re-issues the Mack AC, I might try building one but make it a tractor pulling a flatbed trailer. That's if my arthritis ever gives me a break.