Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr. Speed '53 Studebaker

Rocking Rodney Rat

I remember seeing a picture of this kit in the ole Auto World (Scranton, PA) catalog as a kid. It's been a holy grail build for me and I finally finished it after a few fitful starts and stops. It's the AMT Piranha chassis and the AMT Studebaker 1953 Studebaker body. 

-Paint on the body is Testors One-Hit 'Extreme'' (or whatever name they were using when it was discontinued) Emerald Mist.

-Frame is Tamiya gloss black with the panels cut out of bare metal foil, matt aluminum color.

7g789tf86rf.thumb.jpg.4b608ea11d0d7d53fb0c6027554906ae.jpgtxdxd.thumb.jpg.38d096e20bbc58f25ef8b728e4f23771.jpg1222310190_kopolpll.thumb.jpg.d78f2d15a7e49e4acda3975316535cde.jpgwwytvyv.thumb.jpg.9e0abfc6ffb2da1fc2f62dc469bb0de5.jpg9j9h908h97g.thumb.jpg.bb4cac2ef17bda88423cf2b6e5f9cbb8.jpg

here's the original box art from back in the '60s....

s-l500.jpg.ebac206ab037de4a88b51795fd3d3fd5.jpg

Thanks for looking.... -RRR

1 hour ago, thatz4u said:

RRR....Very well done, great use of an old standby model, what will you use the rest of the Stude kit for?

HA! I have few scattered around here. That hemi with the over-the-top double blower setup would look good in some kind of funky '60s show rod style 'T' wouldn't it? Other than that, gathering dust.... -RRR

19 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

HA! I have few scattered around here. That hemi with the over-the-top double blower setup would look good in some kind of funky '60s show rod style 'T' wouldn't it? Other than that, gathering dust.... -RRR

use 2 Hemis with double blowers in some unusual rod build....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know how I missed this one but WOW - Rodney, that is stunning.  Definitely an improvement on the box art and I can just imagine this in the staging lanes at the Bakersfield Hot Rod re-union.  The chopped one in my collection is a salt racer but now I want to do a funnycar!

Cheers

Alan