Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Monogram's Fox Body Mustangs

Fabrux

Let's go fox hunting, shall we? My latest article and first of a series will be focusing on the Monogram Mustang tooling and it's variations over the years.Ā 

I really appreciate any input folks can provide, whether corrections of information or contribution of better box art, sprue shots, instruction scans, etc. šŸ™‚

https://www.sprue.xyz/articles/monogram-fox-body

Nice overview, there's a few kits there I wish I would have kept and not sold or traded off. Like many, my interests change and now that some are hard to find or go for more than I'd would currently pay I've come regret some of my decisions on certain kits. I don't however regret getting rid of the one lowrider version I had, Oh well...

Again, nice breakdown of the progression of tooling and their modifications for the various versions.

Edited by Phirewriter

Great overview Chris.Ā 

That 'curious retool' of the dual snorkel air cleaner was actually making it into an accurate part forĀ the '83-'85 5.0 4V Ā package. I do believe it's the only one in scale as well since I don't think mpc ever did one for their mustangs. (be happy to be proven wrong though)

The '82 GT had one too, but with a smallerĀ centerĀ housing for its 2V carburetor...

...Upon closer inspection, it looks as if they've actually tooled the '82 housing instead of the '83-'85 version. Small difference in scale, but you know us rivet counters...

82mstggt5L.jpg.c976eee4e7644104674b280c6b3dc35a.jpg

Edited by mk11