Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 minutes ago, johnfin said:

Whats the gaping hole in the firewall for?

20210510_190604.jpg

It's for the C shaped metal spring clip included in at least the early kits that's supposed to hold the hood and allow it to open...but I don't think anyone uses them.

22 minutes ago, johnfin said:

So i have a gaping hole in the firewall and you guys rave about how great this kit is. Some have even bought this lousy kit. Fool and their money soon parted.

So throw it in the garbage and be done with it. 🗑️

24 minutes ago, johnfin said:

Some have even bought this lousy kit. Fool and their money soon parted.

Yep, stupid me for buying a kit that I figured I could do a nice job of building despite it’s flaws.  I’m going to make a little filler piece to put in there or tweak it to look like the 1:1.  Even a dimwit like me can cut a rectangle out of something I’m sure and stick it in a hole.  

CBCAF70E-57CA-41EF-BAA0-1F1DA45E3122.thumb.jpeg.acaf242dd04f2f69e4ac66d1cbb8ac03.jpeg

I’m looking forward to seeing some progress on yours by the way...although I’m pretty sure you’re just trolling to get a reaction.   I’m excited to see what a smarter person than me can do with this kit!

On 5/7/2021 at 8:55 AM, Snake45 said:

For a sedan, the Revell, no question. 

For a hardtop, probably the all-new/revised AMT, but if a curbside will suit you, the Revell Snapper might meet your needs. Both are better than the original AMT and way better than either the Revell or Monogram. 

So If I wanted to do some kit bashing and make a "Day Two" sedan AND a hardtop. The best Sedan is the Revell? The best proportioned hardtop is a Revell snap kit? I am ok with doors that do not open. Has anyone done a front clip swap between AMT and Revell kits?

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Yep, stupid me for buying a kit that I figured I could do a nice job of building despite it’s flaws.  I’m going to make a little filler piece to put in there or tweak it to look like the 1:1.  Even a dimwit like me can cut a rectangle out of something I’m sure and stick it in a hole.  

CBCAF70E-57CA-41EF-BAA0-1F1DA45E3122.thumb.jpeg.acaf242dd04f2f69e4ac66d1cbb8ac03.jpeg

I’m looking forward to seeing some progress on yours by the way...although I’m pretty sure you’re just trolling to get a reaction.   I’m excited to see what a smarter person than me can do with this kit!

Right?

I hate to say it, but if it's too much of a task to fill in a simple square hole, well............I'll just leave it at that.

I agree.

If it's too much for you to handle, pitch it.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Much as this thread has it’s share of negativity, I’m quite enjoying seeing some of the issues mentioned and figuring out the best way to fix them!  

Filled the hole on the firewall of mine tonight in the few minutes I had before dinner and then started working round some of the parting lines hidden in some of the crevices around the lights and trunk lid.  

DD33DCA9-6EC6-4153-A28C-382ED18A3A5C.thumb.jpeg.9f247166928dd905b7589453f437dbde.jpeg

Those creases on the top of the fenders need to be smoothed down a little (but I’d rather have too much material there so I can get them how I want them than have too little and have to add them back in) and there’s surprisingly little on this body that can’t be fixed with a few minutes of careful sanding.

I’ll start a WIP on this one in due course I’m sure, but I’m not REALLY working on this one now except occasionally getting motivated by this thread into doing a little bit here and there for a few minutes.  And I’m not even a 57 Chevy guy 😂

6 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Maybe there's a phone app for "AMT '57 Chevy build".

That'd put the whole "skill" and "effort" thing in contemporary terms.

I know you’re kidding...but yes, there are a few...

83F22A5C-233C-412D-9D97-B39437C6A92F.png.28044c19404bc38bc0879136b530e9e3.png

Oh man, after reading this last page, I may toss my kits in the trash too.  I was stupid to get that resin 4 door wagon body, it's really rough!  I'll just have to be happy I owned the real thing, last century.  In fact, both those Nomads greenhouse has much to be desired.
IMG_7151_Fotor.thumb.jpg.ca3e0398d105243fde58867ad971633f.jpg
PIC_0013.JPG.23d974108d9a6f7e410b92ec05fff17c.JPG

If you are picky about the firewall it should look like this, so the kit is not entirely correct under the hood. :rolleyes:

F132349910.jpg

But who cares, the AMT kit is not that bad to build anyway. B)

11 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I may toss my kits in the trash too.

Yike's Don't throw away that Pro Shop '57 Chevrolet (yellow car on the box) ! That is one of the best detailed '57 Chevrolet model's going, In fact I have over 40 of those Retooled '57 Chevrolets built here. Those pro shop retooled copies come with real rubber hoses, bumper dagmars, and the photo etched parts! Not to mention plug wire as well! Of course I have nearly 70 built 1:25- 1:24 '57 Chevrolet's 

1 minute ago, ranma said:

Yike's Don't throw away that Pro Shop '57 Chevrolet (yellow car on the box) ! That is one of the best detailed '57 Chevrolet model's going, In fact I have over 40 of those Retooled '57 Chevrolets built here. Those pro shop retooled copies come with real rubber hoses, bumper dagmars, and the photo etched parts! Not to mention plug wire as well! Of course I have nearly 70 built 1:25- 1:24 '57 Chevrolet's 

BLAM! Talk about having something for the ‘57 Chevy! Great! Can we se a lineup? How do you differentiate al the ones?

22 minutes ago, Mattilacken said:

Talk about having something for the ‘57 Chevy

Yes I do I think IMHO that the '57 Chevrolet was the best looking of the tri fives. I have  the Original tooled  Amt '57 Chevrolets, The retooled Version's, The new Revell bodied copies Convertibale/ Bel air Sedan and 150 sedan. Monogram 1/24 '57 Chevrolet's And 4 of the Revell snap copies also in 1/25. Also have a couple of the old revell  ones that the door's ,hood.Trunk opens on. Then there is Three 1/24 Die cast Nomads. and a Nomad Delivery customized Snap on tools Glo-mad.

DSC05822.JPG

DSC05823.JPG

DSC05824.JPG

DSC05825.JPG

DSC05826.JPG

Edited by ranma

On the Bottom  (last shelf of "57 Chevrolet's)  the three race cars #6 , #22, #47 all are the early Amt kits (IE Pepper shaker) The brown with silver roof is a monogram, and well the Revell Sedan's are easy to spot due to the door post.

12 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Oh man, after reading this last page, I may toss my kits in the trash too.  I was stupid to get that resin 4 door wagon body, it's really rough!  I'll just have to be happy I owned the real thing, last century.  In fact, both those Nomads greenhouse has much to be desired.
IMG_7151_Fotor.thumb.jpg.ca3e0398d105243fde58867ad971633f.jpg
PIC_0013.JPG.23d974108d9a6f7e410b92ec05fff17c.JPG

Send the Pro-Shop kit to me if yer gonna trash it🙄    But really, the Pro-Shop kit is not so bad, I have built 2 and would do more. Only thing I didn't like was the too small photo-etch insert for the side trim and trying to figure out how to put the tiny pieces on the frame for the trans mount.

46 minutes ago, ranma said:

6 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Send the Pro-Shop kit to me if yer gonna trash it🙄    But really, the Pro-Shop kit is not so bad, I have built 2 and would do more. Only thing I didn't like was the too small photo-etch insert for the side trim and trying to figure out how to put the tiny pieces on the frame for the trans mount.

🤣 Don't you wish!  Just looking at the parts in the bags, and the p-e, I'm impressed with the kit.  Good to know about the Bel-Air spear piece, my wagon was a 210 that didn't have it, so it won't be used.  The point I wanted to make, some of us don't let a lousy kit stop us.

Back to the regularly scheduled program...... 🍿

4 hours ago, Xingu said:

It's OK to trash the model/kit if you like, but DO NOT start trashing other members of this board. Don't make things personal, not everyone has the skill set or desire.

So because someone doesn’t have the “desire or skill set”, that makes it a lousy kit?

Hmmm, I guess by that logic, because someone doesn’t have the skill set or desire to restore a 1:1 ‘57 Chevy, that makes it a lousy car.

It would probably have been more constructive for the OP to have either asked for help, or offer it to someone else rather than just proclaiming that it’s lousy.

Steve

• Xingu locked this topic