Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who knew a kit designed in ‘63 wouldn’t be as good as a Hiro or modern tool? 
I’ve got a snap Revell project bashing with 57 post Revell. Those tri-5’s are really nice, occasional issue like sill slope on 57 convert, but build nicely. Probably easier to graft ht roof onto 57 convert but it wasn’t out when I started the project. 
They even fixed the dental malocclusion bumper mount on the 56 Nomad. Nice kits. 
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen great builds of this AMT and it probably sold well in the last 58years. 🤣

46 minutes ago, Jim B said:

that is a serious number of 1957 Chevrolets!  Looks like a dealership

Thanks, I think I have every main color's that Chevrolet had for 1957. One tone wise, two tone wise I know I don't as there were so many two tone color combo's. about 80% of those are the AMT Re-tooled  with the opening trunks. There is one resin four door wagon, and three die cast 1/24 Nomads in with those. One Revell Bel-air sedan was converted to a four door sedan. Just have to get a resin copy of the four door Hard top. I also turned one of the AMT re-tooled into a 210 prototype that almost made it to full production that's the Prototype in the photo.

DSC00660.JPG

Edited by ranma

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

So because someone doesn’t have the “desire or skill set”, that makes it a lousy kit?

Hmmm, I guess by that logic, because someone doesn’t have the skill set or desire to restore a 1:1 ‘57 Chevy, that makes it a lousy car.

It would probably have been more constructive for the OP to have either asked for help, or offer it to someone else rather than just proclaiming that it’s lousy.

Steve

No, but when comments start being directed at other members instead of the kit I am going to step in and remind everyone to take a breath and watch what they post.

We are many pages of comments past asking for help.

We just need to keep it respectful.

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

No, but when comments start being directed at other members instead of the kit I am going to step in and remind everyone to take a breath and watch what they post.

We are many pages of comments past asking for help.

Well, the OP's initial post wasn't particularly respectful in itself.

Steve

2 hours ago, ranma said:

Thanks, I think I have every main color's that Chevrolet had for 1957. One tone wise, two tone wise I know I don't as there were so many two tone color combo's. about 80% of those are the AMT Re-tooled  with the opening trunks. There is one resin four door wagon, and three die cast 1/24 Nomads in with those. One Revell Bel-air sedan was converted to a four door sedan. Just have to get a resin copy of the four door Hard top. I also turned one of the AMT re-tooled into a 210 prototype that almost made it to full production that's the Prototype in the photo.

DSC00660.JPG

Very cool.  I like those colors.  I've been looking for a 1957 Chevrolet 150 4-door sedan to make something like this:

military_chevrolet_model_1503(1).ashx?modified=20190510123817

But, I can't find a 4-door 150. Of course, this would be cool, too:

Military_Chevrolet_MP.jpg.2db46d732b27857013408f4edc00cb7a.jpg

No idea where I'd source those decals, though.

Edited by Jim B

On 5/11/2021 at 6:46 PM, johnfin said:

So i have a gaping hole in the firewall and you guys rave about how great this kit is. Some have even bought this lousy kit. Fool and their money soon parted.

I attempted to type several responses to your comment above and deleted them several times before posting. So, I'm going to make it painless as possible not to hurt your feelings.

You made your opinion that it's a "lousy" kit. Fine. That's your opinion. End it now. Nobody cares what you say at this point. I have the exact kit myself and I have full confidence in myself mine will come out just fine - warts and all. Besides, I love a challenge. As you have noticed, there are several '57 Chevy kits in this thread - including the AMT kit. All fantastic builds. 

I've had my share of horrible kits in my lifetime - not just cars but all genres and brands. Aircraft, Armor, Ships, Sci-Fi, you name it... I've done it all. I can count on one hand how many kits I've trashed in my 40 plus years of model kit building. 

This is suppose to be a relaxing, enjoyable hobby. There are ways you could do to make it a great kit. Improvise the issue at hand. Figure out how to fix it. What would MacGuyver do? Perhaps try to swap another firewall from another '57 Chevy kit. Maybe an aftermarket resin firewall. Put a little heart and soul with a side of effort into it. A little goes a long way if you put your mind to it. Happy Modeling!!

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

So because someone doesn’t have the “desire or skill set”, that makes it a lousy kit?

Hmmm, I guess by that logic, because someone doesn’t have the skill set or desire to restore a 1:1 ‘57 Chevy, that makes it a lousy car.

It would probably have been more constructive for the OP to have either asked for help, or offer it to someone else rather than just proclaiming that it’s lousy.

Steve

Right on Steve, I offered to take the one Kurt has but he didn't bite😂

13 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Put a little heart and soul with a side of effort into it. A little goes a long way if you put your mind to it.

Exactly!!

Put at least as much effort into building it as complaining about it and you might surprise yourself. -_-

Steve

28 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

There are ways you could do to make it a great kit. Improvise the issue at hand. Figure out how to fix it. What would MacGuyver do? Perhaps try to swap another firewall from another '57 Chevy kit. Maybe an aftermarket resin firewall. Put a little heart and soul with a side of effort into it. A little goes a long way if you put your mind to it. Happy Modeling!!

I WISH every kit I built had a problem no more difficult to fix than that hole in the firewall. B) Model on, everyone! 

On 5/12/2021 at 12:46 AM, johnfin said:

So i have a gaping hole in the firewall and you guys rave about how great this kit is. Some have even bought this lousy kit. Fool and their money soon parted.

No one said it's a great kit because it isn't, but I wouldn't go so far to call it a lousy kit, of course it's not the ultimate 57 Chevy kit ever made and most of the kits made of the 57 Chevy over the years has their issues and flaws here and there...even the late ones...and none of them are perfect in every aspect.
This kit is not up to todays standard but if you consider when it was originally developed...back in 1962-63...it's not that bad because there are a lots of kits there are worse from that time period, and the old AMT kit is for sure buildable and under my over 45 years in this hobby I have built a couple of these with not much hassle as it goes together quite easy.
The tooling is quite worn by now as it has been reissued about 20-odd times since it was first issued in 1963 as it has been a popular kit for AMT, so that's expected.

5 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

This is suppose to be a relaxing, enjoyable hobby. There are ways you could do to make it a great kit. Improvise the issue at hand. Figure out how to fix it. What would MacGuyver do? Perhaps try to swap another firewall from another '57 Chevy kit. Maybe an aftermarket resin firewall. Put a little heart and soul with a side of effort into it. A little goes a long way if you put your mind to it. Happy Modeling!!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Edited by Force

8 hours ago, Xingu said:

No, but when comments start being directed at other members instead of the kit I am going to step in and remind everyone to take a breath and watch what they post...

Noooo kiddin'.  Say, 'member that blog you once quipped on me constantly pointing out? 

Well not for nothin', but

Unknown.jpeg.5fc4bf744b571920f3281da4446307f5.jpeg

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Well, the OP's initial post wasn't particularly respectful in itself.

Steve

But Steve, it's disrespectful ABOUT AN INANIMATE OBJECT, not an individual.  As gratuitously dismissive as the original post looks on its face, there's no reason to take it personally.  

The more effective approach is to offer your counterpoint, and if you have a nice build to support it, all the better.  Then, the o p either engages in an honest  discussion or hoists himself by his own hanging rope to betray the troll he really is.  And I gotta say, as tetchy as a post or two might have gotten, this discussion was almost admirably restrained by the usual MCM dogpile-the-critic standards.

Your mileage may vary, but these days, I'm finding it better just to wait, watch for the inevitable backfiring petard, then light it up.  

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
where's Sam when you really need him?

6 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I attempted to type several responses to your comment above and deleted them several times before posting. So, I'm going to make it painless as possible not to hurt your feelings.

You made your opinion that it's a "lousy" kit. Fine. That's your opinion. End it now. Nobody cares what you say at this point. I have the exact kit myself and I have full confidence in myself mine will come out just fine - warts and all. Besides, I love a challenge. As you have noticed, there are several '57 Chevy kits in this thread - including the AMT kit. All fantastic builds. 

I've had my share of horrible kits in my lifetime - not just cars but all genres and brands. Aircraft, Armor, Ships, Sci-Fi, you name it... I've done it all. I can count on one hand how many kits I've trashed in my 40 plus years of model kit building. 

With all due respect, NO.

Sorry.

'Cause that's what everybody's gonna do now.  They're gonna take the exception starting this thread, try to make a rule out of it, and use it as a slippery slope excuse to dictate who says what about a given kit.

I've got just as much business telling you to "stop reading if you don't like It" as any member here does telling another what to "end now". How would you like being on the receiving end of a presumption like that?  

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
rhetorical sharpening

On 5/7/2021 at 2:35 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Much thanks from me too. I've been "needing" some '57 Chebbys to fill a gaping hole in my collection. I have several of the first-release AMT and Revell kits, which I like immensely for what they are, but now I know which more modern kits to go after,

My pleasure, Bill!

Let's not forget these:

97894519.jpeg.5c796ddbaefcfe18ffbecb6ede6919bc.jpeg

1116468-40688-84-720.jpg.7810341da647f7210df17376f47a1f23.jpg

193569-15526-92-pristine.jpg.8368f8e64b4435321766311c98e9480b.jpg

The 'vert has a bit of an issue around the belt line "kink" as Keyser mentioned earlier but it's still more than serviceable.

8 hours ago, ranma said:

DSC00660.JPG

THAT is COOL.

Man, when I finally get around to hanging a Revell sedan front clip on my next new-tool AMT, that may be just the way I wanna do it! GREAT BUILD.

On 5/8/2021 at 5:01 PM, alan barton said:

Chuck, I really want to thank you for those beautiful photos of your two magnificent models.  The level of detail plus your outstanding photography really has one wondering if they are scale or full-size!  Beautiful work.

As my second kit ever as a primary school student was an AMT 57, I have had a life long love for the kit and saw no need to look further.  I have two built, a red hardtop and a white convertible after a bit of surgery, plus a Nomad conversion coming along.  Your two examples here show me that I might just have to check the Revell snapper and the AMT Pro Shop next time I come across them.  Thank you kindly for the enlightenment!

Cheers

Alan

And I'd like to thank you twice over for your kind feedback!  As "Snake45" Richard pointed out earlier, it's actually Revell's latest glue-together sedan given the metallic red street machine treatment in those photos, which in fairness resembles a recent boxing of the Revell snapper.

As Snake said, I'm not so hot on the snapper, but that doesn't mean it's a bad kit or that anyone should just skip it without giving it a good look. I'm gonna take Snake's point and refine it a bit: inaccuracy is actually in the eye of a ruler; how offensive inaccuracies are is what's in the eye of the beholder.  

Personally, I find the shallow crown of the snap kit's roof profile over the backlight and the front wheel arch sweep about as bothersome as Plowboy finds the side trim on the original-tool AMT - but that doesn't necessarily mean you nor anyone else will.

9 hours ago, Jim B said:

I've been looking for a 1957 Chevrolet 150 4-door sedan

I made my Bel air 4-door from the sedan kit that is like the 150 in your photo. It's not a hard conversion to do.  Cut and move the door post forward, cover the old door seam , Then scribe in the new front/back door seams. Then add the rear vent window pillar, and outside door handles. 

DSC01129.JPG

Edited by ranma

3 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

And I'd like to thank you twice over for your kind feedback!  As "Snake45" Richard pointed out earlier, it's actually Revell's latest glue-together sedan given the metallic red street machine treatment in those photos, which in fairness resembles a recent boxing of the Revell snapper.

As Snake said, I'm not so hot on the snapper, but that doesn't mean it's a bad kit or that anyone should just skip it without giving it a good look. I'm gonna take Snake's point and refine it a bit: inaccuracy is actually in the eye of a ruler; how offensive inaccuracies are is what's in the eye of the beholder.  

Personally, I find the shallow crown of the snap kit's roof profile over the backlight and the front wheel arch sweep about as bothersome as Plowboy finds the side trim on the original-tool AMT - but that doesn't necessarily mean you nor anyone else will.

No worries, Chuck, and thank you to Snake also for pointing out my whoopsie. 

Your comment about the offensiveness of an inaccuracy is spot on - I have a passion for hot rods and while never having a problem with the often criticised Monogram 37 Tudor, I could never understand people defending the obvious (to me) awkwardness of the AMT 34 Tudor.  Nor could I understand why so many people build the very distorted AMT 32 Roadster and yet pan the beautiful Monogram 32 roadster for being in 1/24th scale.  The beauty of this hobby is  that, we are all free to build what we like and do as much work as we like to enjoy a finished result.  Using my examples above, I have built all of them, multiple times but you simply adjust your expectations and work effort accordingly.  It's a rare kit that has only cons, and no pros!

To the original poster, I hope you continue to enjoy the hobby and find models that meet your expectations.  Some are better than others and only you can decide what will give you that enjoyment.

Cheers

Alan 

2 hours ago, alan barton said:

...Nor could I understand why so many people build the very distorted AMT 32 Roadster and yet pan the beautiful Monogram 32 roadster for being in 1/24th scale....

Digression #23355.5: Yes, the old AMT '32s are all pretty bad, but they CAN be modified into reasonably accurate models with a little applied effort.

There's something wrong to my eye about the Revell 1/25 '32 Ford roadster body too. I haven't taken the time to figger out what, exactly, yet...but it just doesn't look quite right somehow. 

The Monogram 1/24 shell, on the other hand, looks good as-is.

EDIT: But it's not like the oopsies we see on older kits are limited to 60+ year-old tooling.

There are glaring and subtle inaccuracies concerning form and line on MANY Tamiya kits as well, but because they go together fairly easily, lotsa builders don't seem to notice or care. Recently-tooled Revell offerings have plenty of faults too...but the kits developed from scans are getting pretty impressive.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

7 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

My pleasure, Bill!

Let's not forget these:

97894519.jpeg.5c796ddbaefcfe18ffbecb6ede6919bc.jpeg

1116468-40688-84-720.jpg.7810341da647f7210df17376f47a1f23.jpg

193569-15526-92-pristine.jpg.8368f8e64b4435321766311c98e9480b.jpg

The 'vert has a bit of an issue around the belt line "kink" as Keyser mentioned earlier but it's still more than serviceable.

That droptop kit I wish I had..... I should have bought a couple when they first came out...😞

7 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

THAT is COOL.

Man, when I finally get around to hanging a Revell sedan front clip on my next new-tool AMT, that may be just the way I wanna do it! GREAT BUILD.

I gotta ask, "why?". Revell already makes the Bel Air with the sedan roof. If I ever do build a '57, I want to use the Revell 150 body and interior with the AMT street machine chassis. I've never checked out the interior in the street machine version. May use it or parts of it too. 

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

I gotta ask, "why?". Revell already makes the Bel Air with the sedan roof. If I ever do build a '57, I want to use the Revell 150 body and interior with the AMT street machine chassis. I've never checked out the interior in the street machine version. May use it or parts of it too. 

'Cause I just like the Revell sedan better from the cowl forward and I think its front clip would improve the new-tool AMT hardtop.

Revell's front bumper is much better, and while we're at it, the Revell headlights look more to scale and the sedan's front wheel arch sweep seems a little closer too.

• Xingu locked this topic