Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Dodge Phoenix Convertible

TooOld

13 hours ago, TooOld said:

Made a lot of progress on the seats over the weekend but didn't take many photos .  Basically I did the same as with the side panels by making patterns on .005" sheet and cutting them apart into separate pieces .  When glued to the seats they left a nice groove and sharp edges for the piping .  The scale is for sizing the seat decals later .

I used .020" rod for the piping , it's probably too big but the next smaller size I had was .010" and that seemed way to small .  The piping needs to be painted silver and there's no way I could paint that small stuff !   It will all get sanded down slightly before paint so hopefully it will be okay .

I realized why the courtesy lamps I added earlier looked out of place . . . they're supposed to be down on the armrests . Duh .

Lastly I spent some time on my computer creating artwork for the seat decals .  Top is the 1960 Dodge upholstery pattern and the bottom is my artwork .  By transferring the patterns to the artwork I should be able to print some decals that will fit right in place .

Man that's gonna look good! For your piping, how about foiling it?

On 6/15/2021 at 2:08 PM, Spex84 said:

Spectacular. I eagerly await future updates. Can't wait to see that upholstery decal in place!!

On 6/15/2021 at 5:41 PM, Maindrian Pace said:

This is shaping up to be one spectacular build. Interiors of this era were unmatched in style and intricacy, IMO.

On 6/15/2021 at 6:25 PM, bisc63 said:

Love your work on this, especially nice approach to the interior details.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:11 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

She’ll be nothing short of magnificent!!!

Steve

On 6/15/2021 at 9:57 PM, slusher said:

fantastic work Bob!

On 6/15/2021 at 10:15 PM, David G. said:

Fabulous work on the seats!

David G.

Thanks again everybody ! :)

On 6/15/2021 at 10:09 PM, Dave Darby said:

Man that's gonna look good! For your piping, how about foiling it?

Thanks Dave !  Foiling may be the way to go , I'm going to paint a coupe of samples and see how it goes .

On 6/18/2021 at 4:28 PM, bill-e-boy said:

This is awesome work

Thanks Bill !

On 6/18/2021 at 5:15 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Love the interior work, everything from creation of the door panels to the seat fabric!  

These were spectacular looking interiors when new, but as we know, they didn’t hold up well. Thus the reign of Rayco seat covers!

Thanks Tom !  Ah yes the seat covers . . . we had them .  Clear vinyl , they got kinda hot in the summer months .

No real progress made lately but I did print some sample decals to see how they will look , these are reduced to the size they'll be when I do the seats .  The top one is my original artwork and the bottom one was lightened up a bit just to see what looks better .  I'm going to stick with the original one .

• 2 weeks later...

There's a couple of things that need to be done to finish the interior but I've been struggling with the convertible top boot for the last couple of weeks .  I had planned on using the '59 Chevy boot but it didn't fit the curvature of the body very well and looked bulky to me . Still I worked on modifying the boot by adding plastic to the underside and shaping it to fit the body . That worked but made it even more bulky so I scrapped the idea . Not wanting to ruin the  boot I decided to make another with my Vac-U-Form . This worked and I was even able to make it fit the body fairly well , but still it didn't look like the photos I've seen of the '60 Dodge convertibles .

Actually all of the Chrysler products from the era had nice low profile boots , almost flat , and that's what I wanted .   I decided to start from scratch and make my own and after a couple of tries I've got something I can work with .   I have photos showing the ones that failed but will just start with the final boot .

First I used some masking tape to make a pattern .

Then transferred the pattern to .020" sheet and drilled holes to clear the snaps on the body .

After adding some plastic here and there and some shaping it fits pretty good .

Next another piece was cut from .010" sheet . This gets glued on to cover the holes and will be the finished surface .

From the bottom side I used a small hammer and short length of rod to make the raised snaps . Not as even as I'd like but it's good for now .

A couple of photos with the boot placed on the body .

Probably could have used a thinner sheet to start with but I've been stalled on this long enough . Time to move on and revisit this when it's time to paint .

Edited by TooOld

The interior and the details are looking "spectacular."

You are more than doing justice to a rare and beautiful car

that didn't get a lot of love in it's day, but is sure making up for it now through

guys like you who keep their stunning looks alive and well and appreciated now,

by you unprecedented skills and patience - I'll keep following. Can't wait for more to come,

and what you have in store for us.

Dave

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It looks great Bob!

The only thing that I may have tried to do in addition would have been to sand the edges at a pretty good taper before adding the snaps to create a thinner edge, but that said, it looks pretty darn nice to me!

Steve

Thanks Steve !  I agree and am already planning on a redo to taper the edges and space the snaps more evenly .

3 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

The interior and the details are looking "spectacular."

You are more than doing justice to a rare and beautiful car

that didn't get a lot of love in it's day, but is sure making up for it now through

guys like you who keep their stunning looks alive and well and appreciated now,

by you unprecedented skills and patience - I'll keep following. Can't wait for more to come,

and what you have in store for us.

Dave

Thanks very much Dave !

As Steve suggested the boot needed to be tapered much more , so instead of starting over I went ahead and worked on it with some sanding sticks .  Much better now but I need to rethink the snaps .

I'm going to try these for the snaps , the solid ones should work .  I used one of the washers for the antenna base on my '71 Roadrunner and it worked great except that they're very hard to hold on to !

@TooOld

Watching your progress finally got to me, and I got the 'ol resin Polara out and 

started cleaning 'er up.

This will be fun. Like you, I will take my time and try to do her justice, as these are

rare ol' birds now. Maybe I'll do her with a vert' top, if I have one in my stash.

Fun watching your progress 👍.