Model Cars Magazine Forum

In what vehicle did you learn to drive?

23 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Dad's brother Earl had one of these. The best part of it was that the high back bench seat headrest on the driver's side hit the horn button perfectly when passengers (grandmother) were getting into the back seat. She could never figure out who was blowing the horn.....

I remember similar accounts. I had a lot of fun in that car over a short few years before my older brother wrecked it, bending the frame.

Later-

Strated out driving my grandpa's 54 Chevy Belair into the yard to wash it.

Later became my first car.

Really driving I learned to drive at 11 years old driving a 1948 ford grain truck pulling hay racks and hauling grain and beans while doing summer work for a farmer. That was how I learned to drive a stick shift.

He put wood blocks on the pedals so I could reach them!

First car I ever drove was a Murray Champion pedal car.  I learned to steer the real thing while standing in the seat of a 55 Chevy Bel Air.  First car I drove alone was a 59 Bel Air and I took my drivers test in a 64 Impala SS.   First ride I owned was a 55 Studebaker Pickup.  

Learned to drive in a 1955 Plymouth Savoy 4 door. 3 on the tree with an overdrive, and a V8. don't remember what size. Took drivers test in a 1966 Oldsmobile 442 convertible with 3 duces. The officer asked me how long I'd been driving I said since I was 11, he said let's go get a milkshake and we did. By the way, I passed.  

When I was 17 in 1965 my family didn't have a car and my wages in my first job was just £5 per week, from that came a portion for board and lodging at mum & dad's house plus £1 for my first of 20 driving lessons. You weren't allowed to request a driving test unless a driving school had put you through 20 lessons! Our local driving school had 2 cars one Austin A40 Farina and an 850cc Mini. So I signed up for the Mini.

Every post in this topic has been an utter joy to read. I guess it never occurred to me to even wonder about the first driving experiences of those on continents other than North America. I’ve especially enjoyed hearing from our friends in Europe and Australia. Thank you all for your replies. Drive on.

Cool topic. I learned to drive a 1962 ford falcon 4 door. 3 on the tree and a 170 cu in 6. It was beige in color and it was fun to drive. My dads car for going to work. This was 1973. He would not let me drive the 455 olds. It was off limits until I proved to him I was somewhat responsible. Had to tune  it up, oil change and gas. Had to pay for that and insurance. I saved up since 10 to buy my 1st car which was a 1970 Mach 1 later that year. Another story altogether. Loved that falcon. 

On 4/27/2021 at 3:05 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Before Driver's Ed my dad let me guide our '69 Olds Delta 88 around the high school parking lot; it took several tries before I figured out how to stop smoothly. In high school we mostly had a few cars from the local Chevy dealer - brown '76 Chevelle sedan and an ivory '76 Monte Carlo with no vinyl roof. The one I'm still trying to forget was an ugly brown Datsun B210 four-door - the stick shift car; I've never been good at driving manuals and the instructor just happened to pick me to take it onto the Dan Ryan Expressway. default_ohmy2.png.47d1372d4da47a2ce454d1a52e823f9f.png I guess the driving gods were with me that day and we got home in one piece, but I'm glad that trip was a one-and-done.

Dug up my '77 GBS yearbook and found shots of the B210 and Monte Carlo; I had Mr. Baker:

gbs77-06.thumb.jpg.d305189ecf0febd528e31d0345980366.jpg

From '78, a better shot of the Datsun:

gbs78-05.jpg.2b2896251d1233b9918d2d1b6e7252a0.jpg

And the '69 Olds, toward the end of its career. In its better days I had my first 100 MPH experience in it on an empty stretch of I-24 with my dad driving (thanks Dad!):

my69olds88.jpg.ce22cbdfd6d4e4ad3cc95d5b6908f39c.jpg

1977 Mercury Monarch 4-door, dark blue, white vinyl top, 302 V8. My Pop took me on Sunday's to a close by industrial court. I was well prepared when I got to driver's Ed and drove a 1980 Buick Skylark, I remember it had the extra brake peddle on the passenger side for the instructor.   

A 46 Pontiac with a 460 Ford motor, AMC pacer front end, built by some Missouri Hillbillies. No offense to any hillbillies reading this. I have a picture of it somewhere.  It was all rusty, and it was built way before "patina" was cool.

1946 Jeep CJ2A.  One of my early memories was sitting on my dads lap at 5 or 6 and he would let me steer.  By the time I was 7 he would let me drive it down our lane(1/4 mile) to the mailbox to pickup the mail.  We also had a small spring tooth plow that we used to tend the trees around the house.  My first job at harvest was driving this to take fresh drinking water to the harvest crew.  By the time I was 10 I was a heavy equipment operator(John Deere 830) all day during the summer.   These ages were pretty consistent for all farm kids in western Nebraska. 

How many of you had the black button on the floor to the right of that gas pedal.  That is the starter! 

Jeep CJ2A.jpg

Hi all, my mom taught me in a '63 Plymouth Belvedere, light blue, with the push button transmission on the dash. The car was a bare bones, Slant 6, really no options,no air conditioning, no power anything. The only thing it had was an AM radio.

From there, when I had driver's ed. the school had dodge coronet 440.

After I passed Driver's Education, my mom and dad got me a '57 Chevy, turquoise body w/ white roof. It had a 265 and three on the tree that someone before me had made it 3 on the floor. Drove it all over Miami and Miami Beach. That is when I really learned to drive.

Off road was the family tractor  which was great to learn how to drive a clutch .

otherwise its A combination of my parents 1973 Ford Torino wagon and 73 Ford F100 pickup( 3 on the tree no less )

and my 1st car , a 1966 Pontiac Tempest . I bought with my own money. Paid a whopping $50 for it and drive it home