Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's one more...

James2

Very clever chop! I see what you mean about the rear window. It kinda looks like it needs to be raised as well as some height taken out of it. Did you cut the top edge of the trunk down to lower the rear of the roof? I chopped one of these a couple of years ago and thought about cutting it there. But, I decided to cut the window down instead. 

6 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Did you cut the top edge of the trunk down to lower the rear of the roof?

I thought about that and then the new seam would have had two widths to blend. Since the curved cuts follow the sides of the trunk lid, I waited until I was happy with the fit. And then cut the bottom of the trunk lid and narrowed the sides to fit.  Also I scored the top back side of the lid and bent it some. I think I hurt my brain thinking about this chop, before ever making a cut!

Thanks... 

Edited by James2

1 hour ago, James2 said:

I think I hurt my brain thinking about this chop, before ever making a cut!

Thanks... 

What's a little strain on the brain? It worked great! I like how you were able to keep from having to lengthen the roof. This is definitely not an easy chop!  

Nice chop! I applaud your effort on the rear window, looks good!  But I have seen several 1:1 Tudors and Coupes chopped like yours where they laid the roof forward and the rear window was left stock height. 

I didn't chop mine, but here's the 1:1 Tudor I built a few years ago...

40 trailer.jpg

40var.jpg

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Looking great James, she is shaping up. Love your coffee cup brother..

Thanks Carl, if you mean the Stanley, that's been with me for some time now, traveling from the north coast to the south coast. The thermos is scratched dented and full of sticker. I use it every work day and also on trips as we travel. I do hope your doing well, friend...

13 hours ago, James2 said:

Thanks Carl, if you mean the Stanley, that's been with me for some time now, traveling from the north coast to the south coast. The thermos is scratched dented and full of sticker. I use it every work day and also on trips as we travel. I do hope your doing well, friend...

I saw a black Cody James, that’s the one…

5 hours ago, slusher said:

I saw a black Cody James, that’s the one…

Yep, a friend made memorial stickers for me after Cody passed. Family and friends fly them in his honor. Thanks for noticing!

• 3 weeks later...

Fitment!

Cleaning things up little by little. The other fender assembly was cracked so I started another. Flush skirts are glued in place and I’m scribing in the connection  point for definition. I’m somewhat surprised at pulling off this chop. 

0EA5D9BC-BD4B-4B8D-ACB3-2E9FBE4408CC.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I never was able to get that bench time I thought I would, bur life has slowed and Fall/Winter is approaching. I found enough time to clear the bench and finally get some filler primer on this Sedan. That solid gray, even as light as it is, really helps these tired eyes to see what areas need attention. I'm happy with the chop so far and will be smoothing things out and adding the scribe lines for the trunk. Also, I mocked up some Bumper'ettes too... 

IMG_6344.jpg.34e3ed8f87d89438989a95bc599eb803.jpgIMG_6343.jpg.cc7cd5f83a8a8306f7e6549c39a10e22.jpgIMG_6345.jpg.8ea61c3061fd623ea350c09995274640.jpg

IMG_6342.jpg.bbdad7b261da44197ec185c98726f2ae.jpgIMG_6341.jpg.5170eb870746665f139fc3f80db646c8.jpg

It's shaping up James! The bumperette idea will be an interesting look. I'm guessing they'll be mounted over the holes for the bumper brackets?

Having done one of these, I thought I would offer my solution for the rear window.

20180421_130736-1

I got rid of the original lip, shaped the window, glued a solid piece of .020 on the inside and then cut it out to match the openings. It's a lot easier than trying to file and sand that area.

20180421_153330-1