Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello All. 

This is my first time painting a figure and my first time working with resin so any tips and hints will be appreciated.

I'm making this as a companion to the 49 Mercury Joker-Mobile that I recently completed.

I bought the figure on line, it was originally offered as a part of this kit.

Joker_00.jpg.f0af618fd8756408890e3c62800d5fbe.jpg

Here's the starting point.

Joker_01.jpg.1db910681987e6731dc1282b572c5186.jpg

And here we are all cleaned up, primed and shaded.

Joker_02.jpg.d68f0c9987e278da594c6f90d8b2c201.jpg

I'm working out the colors now an I plan to start painting soon.

Thanks for stopping to look and as always, please feel free to comment.

David G.

Joker_03.jpg

Edited by David G.

Cool figurine. What paints do you have? Acrylic are better, they're drying faster. You should also think about making a wet palette, because straight from the jar they are too thick. Do not paint everything at once, better more thinned layers, like one thick one. Wet blending will work here :) 
Shading with washem doesn't make much sense at this stage. Perhaps it would be better to primer the figure with black in its entirety and gray with a 45-degree angle. Then you would have the shadows marked. 

I watch with interest, finally some figure SBS.

On 4/30/2021 at 5:42 AM, Marcin M. said:

Cool figurine. What paints do you have? Acrylic are better, they're drying faster. You should also think about making a wet palette, because straight from the jar they are too thick. Do not paint everything at once, better more thinned layers, like one thick one. Wet blending will work here :) 
Shading with washem doesn't make much sense at this stage. Perhaps it would be better to primer the figure with black in its entirety and gray with a 45-degree angle. Then you would have the shadows marked. 

I watch with interest, finally some figure SBS.

Thank you for taking the time to offer some tips Marcin. By the time I got to read your suggestions I had already started painting but your pointers reinforce what I discovered.

For paints I have one old Model Master acrylic for the lavender on the trousers and gloves, the rest are Tamiya acrylics. I did do a little thinning of the paints but found myself using more of a drybrush technique intending multiple coats. The shading was as much so I could see what I was painting as anything else. It did impart a little depth but as you suggested, it seems that additional paint coats will obscure most of it. In addition to a light blackwash, I plan to use tints of my base colors for highlight and shadow.

I really do like the idea you offered regarding the use of primer to build light and shadow. I hadn't thought of that and it's a wonderful idea that I plan the use in the future.

I hope to get some photos of the base colors today or tomorrow. I'm pleased with the results so far.

And thanks again for taking the time to offer some pointers.

David G.

David, I look forward to seeing your version of the Joker. I really liked you Joker Mercury and if I see just one of these  figures for sale I may pick it up off eBay if the price is right. I have always been a Batman fan..

58 minutes ago, slusher said:

David, I look forward to seeing your version of the Joker. I really liked you Joker Mercury and if I see just one of these  figures for sale I may pick it up off eBay if the price is right. I have always been a Batman fan..

Thank you Carl, I remember you following my WIP on the Merc too.

The guy I bought the figure from actually sent me two though I only ordered one. If you would like the other one, send me a PM with your address and I'll send it out.

David G.

Hello All.

Here's most of the first color coat. I still have the shoes, flower, face and hair to do.

Joker_04.jpg.d42f071aeeb3bc84c3731f60aa2fff35.jpg

I had to mix the color for the coat. I'll take care of the gloss at the end with an application of Dulcote.

Joker_05.jpg.b778cbec003e7128df50d9b6b51888db.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the tine to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Okay, I got some shadow and highlight painted.

Joker_06.jpg.210025f2b4ce99813e612eac37fc69ca.jpg

I know that the coat is still glossy, Dulcote will be one of the last things apply.

Joker_07.jpg.ed3b5102d99046f85d66312bfaff4664.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to post any comments, tips or advise.

Thanks,

David G.

16 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

You guys and these figures just blow my mind. Great job on this so far Dave.

One day I'd like to try my hand at one. Actually I'd like to try a few and then tackle a Mad Max figure.

Thank you Joe.

I didn't know there was a Mad Max figure, I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

David G.

30 minutes ago, David G. said:

Thank you Joe.

I didn't know there was a Mad Max figure, I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

David G.

Dive Nine made on in 1/24 scale in 2016 but finding one right now will be a bit tricky. Hiroboy has them listed but is currently out of stock. 

124_Mad_Max_Road_Warrior_Resin_Figure_Mel_Gibson_54241.jpeg

38 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Dive Nine made on in 1/24 scale in 2016 but finding one right now will be a bit tricky. Hiroboy has them listed but is currently out of stock. 

124_Mad_Max_Road_Warrior_Resin_Figure_Mel_Gibson_54241.jpeg

That's a nicely rendered figure but obviously not Mel G.

Not that that matters, just preconceived notions. You know.

David G.

On 5/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, David G. said:

Okay, I got some shadow and highlight painted.

Joker_06.jpg.210025f2b4ce99813e612eac37fc69ca.jpg

I know that the coat is still glossy, Dulcote will be one of the last things apply.

Joker_07.jpg.ed3b5102d99046f85d66312bfaff4664.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to post any comments, tips or advise.

Thanks,

David G.

Joker is looking great, David!   Really nice colors…..

Hi Everybody.

Here is the next phase... the face. And some more fine tuning on the detail painting.

Joker_08.jpg.6a12d1fa72be427a5060d55f579498bb.jpg

Speaking of fine tuning, I'm finally getting the lighting dialed in. I went from two 100 Watt LED lamps in reflectors to two 40 watt LED lamps. I think the color is much better. It seems that regarding light, less is more.

Joker_09.jpg.ca8ad0f6fa4918f6c65a82a30e8ba3ea.jpg

As always, thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

David G.

19 hours ago, slusher said:

impressive painting David, I looking for paint and colors for mine. What did you use..

Thanks Carl, detail painting is one of my favorite parts of building.

There aren't a lot of photos out there for this particular version of the Joker so I just tried to replicate the box art. There's no need to limit yourself to that as there are many iterations of the Joker character. Most of them use contrasting secondary colors, shades of violet, orange and green. 

Having said that, here is what I used.

For the trousers and gloves I used Model Master Napoleonic Violet. The shirt is painted Tamiya X-6 Orange and the ascot in Model Master Turquoise. The coat is a mix of Tamiya X-16 Purple and X-7 Red, probably about 60/40.

Regards,

David G.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Yuns Guys, here's the next update.

I think I'm done with this one. Overall I'm pretty happy with it as it is but I'm trying to decide if I want to try to clean up the eyes just a little more at the risk of messing them up or just Dulcote it and call it done. (Opinions and advice are welcome.)

Joker_10.jpg.940800616bafd29e3d2c144e1c11cf28.jpg

Of course the Dulcote will remove the shiny on the coat and hat.

Joker_11.jpg.b80875be4b3840af59fac9b126de4d82.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to offer advice and comments.

David G.

19 hours ago, slusher said:

David I would call it done. You did a wonderful job on yours.  I have a question friend.  What primer did you use?

Thanks Carl. I went ahead and finished it up yesterday afternoon. I plan to get some photos for posting today.

The primer I used was Dupli-Color white sandable primer.

David G.

• David G. changed the title to Joker Figure by MPC: WIP