Model Cars Magazine Forum

restoration of the second vw samba ever built

Thought this might interest some of you. This is the second vw samba ever built and it is being restored in a very different way. It was found after being left for decades in a german forest/field so it was in a very poor state. The resto is different to most as they are saving as much original metal and believ it or not paint as possible. In the pics of the resto all the sealing wax red areas are original paint. When you see the as found pics its hard to believe anyone would restore it

https://blog.entfallteiledienst.de/

Its a german site but its all written in english

51 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

... When you see the as found pics its hard to believe anyone would restore it

That's one of those jack-up-the-VIN-plate-and-drive-a-new-one-under-it restos.

It's hard to weld to swiss cheese. 

Still, it's nice to see somebody cares enough about an historic old machine to go to all that trouble. Much respect... 

1951_Samba_Discovery_081-1024x683.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That's one of those jack-up-the-VIN-plate-and-drive-a-new-one-under-it restos.

It's hard to weld to swiss cheese. 

Still, it's nice to see somebody cares enough about an historic old machine to go to all that trouble.  

I assure you its not, the guy doing the work is using all the original parts he can. Sure theres a lot of new metal but mark spicer is not someone that replaces the entire panel, he uses the new panels for patches but most is original metal and more original paint than the as found pic would let you think. I reccomend taking an hour or two to read through it, theres much more work than just driving a new one under it

7 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I assure you its not, the guy doing the work is using all the original parts he can. Sure theres a lot of new metal but mark spicer is not someone that replaces the entire panel, he uses the new panels for patches but most is original metal and more original paint than the as found pic would let you think. I reccomend taking an hour or two to read through it, theres much more work than just driving a new one under it

I understand that. I read the whole thing prior to posting.

That's what I meant about "It's hard to weld to swiss cheese." See?

But I SHOULD HAVE SAID..."that looks like it would be a helluva lot easier to just jack-up-the-VIN-plate-and-drive-a-new-one-under-it".

OK?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Looks like a few projects I've brought back from the scrap pile! Lots of times repro sheet metal doesn't have the same compound curves, bows, etc as OEM stuff, so I can certainly applaud his effort to save as much original metal as possible. I'll be following this, thanks for posting it!