Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

I'm wondering if the one in my B&W photos has Bondo slathered on the front fender.  Big chunks chipped off. 🙂

I would say probably so.  There is a small dent along the side of the headlight opening which indicates a collision of some sort.  The extent will only be known when the Bondo is stripped away.

C72CE52D-FD9B-4E48-92C6-298A9F2C126A.jpeg.96aefc753b4cf057c0addba34079fc2c.jpeg

Some 30 years ago I snapped a few photos of this truck in the parking lot at a car show. It originally was a local gas company service truck.

1002B2C9-5CDF-4A3D-AD72-38C7E695AD50.jpeg.fdab8d7fcf807dcdfa3f8352d7e45634.jpeg

And of course I built a model of it!  I built the work box and camper cap from Evergreen and it took me three tries to get the box right.  I still have those two failed attempts somewhere.

At the time Ed Fluck Sr. wanted to cast it, so I did a master, but we couldn’t figure out how to cast the depth of the sides without making it a solid block, so the project stalled.

Ive known Dave Burket / Model King as long as either of us have been into models. In fact I had remembered him from running in the demo derby in the mid 1980s.  He always liked this model and said it was the inspiration for his Moebius pickup work box.

Funny thing.. when I had this model on display for the first time in many years at the last NNL Nationals in Ohio, someone asked me if I used the Moebius box!  I’m no, this model is 30 years old!