Model Cars Magazine Forum

large scale corvettes C2

i have been looking at the 1963,65 and 67 corvettes that are in large scale. 

monogram (rebranded as revell) 1965 corvette 1/8 scale
monogram 1967 corvette 1/12 scale
mpc 1963 corvette 1/16 scale

my question is, is there one that builds up cleaner/better than the rest? i prefer the 65 model year over all of them, but honestly if one is much better than the others, i dont have a preference. if the kit is not good quality or doesnt build/fit together nicely, i will probably never finish it. they all seem about the same as far as price on ebay, so that isnt a concern either. also, if there is one that is really bad as far as quality in representation, meaning, it has issues like the roof is not representative of the real car, that is important to me too. 

any help is greatly appreciated. i searched online, but i havent found much comparing these kits to each other.

Edited by youpey

I've got all 3 kits you've listed in my collection. They're all nicely done, and based on my friends building experiences, the MPC 1/16 and Monogram 1/12 are straight forward builds. I have built the Monogram 1/8 '65 and can say it's also a no problem build. The only thing given the scale, seemed to be a bit more simplified in comparison to some of the other Monogram 1/8 scale kits from the era (Big T series, Big Deuce, and Jaguar) Unlike the some of the other 1/8 kits only the hood opens and there's only one engine option, the fuel injected small block. The rotating headlight assembly is it's only other operating feature. It still is an impressive, great looking model. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them.

Edited by Phirewriter

19 minutes ago, Phirewriter said:

I've got all 3 kits you've listed in my collection. They're all nicely done, and based on my friends building experiences, the MPC 1/16 and Monogram 1/12 are straight forward builds. I have built the Monogram 1/8 '65 and can say it's also a no problem build. The only thing given the scale, seemed to be a bit more simplified in comparison to some of the other Monogram 1/8 scale kits from the era (Big T series, Big Deuce, and Jaguar) Unlike the some of the other 1/8 kits only the hood opens and there's only one engine option, the fuel injected small block. The rotating headlight assembly is it's only other operating feature. It still is an impressive, great looking model. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them.

thank you very much for this information. i am not sure which i will pick at this point. the 1/8 scale 65 might be too big. looking online, its almost 2 foot long.  

thank you again

When the MPC 1/16 scale '63 was first released in the early Seventies, the initial review of it suggested that it was patterned on the Monogram 1/8 scale kit.  Having had the Monogram kit many years ago, and having one of the MPC 1/16 scale kits now, the two do seem very similar in their parts breakdown.  Between the two, I'd go with the MPC kit as it is smaller (though still quite big) and its level of detail is pretty much on a par with the larger kit.  And it has optional parts also.

I have never had the Monogram 1/12 scale '67 kit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it too had a similar level of detail, and parts breakdown, with the other two kits.

36 minutes ago, Mark said:

I have never had the Monogram 1/12 scale '67 kit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it too had a similar level of detail, and parts breakdown, with the other two kits.

It is, and would be the kit I'd recommend before the other two.

Miles, the 1/12 '67 was created in the late '80s when Monogram and Revell had just about merged and were putting out some of their best kits ever. The 427 tri-power big block Chevy in the 1/12 '67 kit is quite nice, and has optional race style parts, too.

That said, the other two are still both very good choices, so maybe availability will be the deciding factor in this case.

Edited by Casey

It might boil down to personal preference.  I have had a few 1/8 scale kits but sold off all but enough parts for one Deuce roadster, and I haven't done anything with that.  1/16 is about as large as I care to go for the most part.

My preference in real life car is 65 then 63 then 67. However, the 1/8 is definitely going to be too big. I really dont like the stock hood of the 67 with the big block vent. It looks cheesey to me. I know its how gm did it, but i just dont like it. I actually prefer the fake vents on the 63

12 hours ago, youpey said:

My preference in real life car is 65 then 63 then 67. However, the 1/8 is definitely going to be too big. I really dont like the stock hood of the 67 with the big block vent. It looks cheesey to me. I know its how gm did it, but i just dont like it. I actually prefer the fake vents on the 63

Looks like there's your answer.

You can't really go wrong with any of your choices. The MPC '63 is a great looking kit, but so are the Monogram '65 and '67 kits. The '63 has the greatest parts count, while the 1/8 scale is almost like building a regular 1/24 Monogram kit, apart from the size.