Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stardust....Digger Cuda

RatRod

After getting my Digger Cudas, and opening one, I noticed that the body was slightly warped, and the length was slightly off between the top, and bottom body halves. Hmmmm, what to do? Well here's what I came up with.

I first cut the bottom out of the lower body.

P1010003-2.jpg

Then installed the rest of the lower body panels to the top.

P1010004-2-1.jpg

Then added strips of sheet styrene around the bottom edge of the body, to mate the two sections together.

P1010006-1-1.jpg

After getting a little further along, I realized that another problem had arose, the radius rods would be wider than the lower section. I mounted the batwings inside the torsion bars, and made new rods using polished aluminum. This put everything back inside the lower body piece.

P1010001-3.jpg

P1010002-3.jpg

The only other thing I changed was to cut the rear axle down 1/4", and cut the stem of the rear inner wheel flush with the rim, this narrowed the track down 3/16" on each side tucking the rear slicks closer to the frame. I also had some old Herb Deeks Models white metal, and photo-etched front rims, and the kit tires fit great, so the were added. Next post.....

Edited by RatRod

nice work I can't wait to build mine I am Putting a note in the box so I remember to approach the body in the same manner. the P E front wheels look great I think that is probably the single biggest improvement on those early dragsters. now if I could just find them somewhere.

nice work I can't wait to build mine I am Putting a note in the box so I remember to approach the body in the same manner. the P E front wheels look great I think that is probably the single biggest improvement on those early dragsters. now if I could just find them somewhere.

Randy, The wheels I used here I don't think are being made any longer, but MAS does some really fantastic aluminum, and PE dragster wheels!!!

P1010001-4-1.jpg

P1010002-4.jpg

http://www.mas-parts.com/

Edited by RatRod

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm in the finishing stages with mine, wish I had seen this post first. I built mine like an airplane kit. Everything inside was finished and the body halves sealed around it. I Masked the windows and openings and shot the body. It came out pretty well but would really benefit from the Deeks cycle wheels. Does this car have any basis in realty?

Edited by samdiego