Model Cars Magazine Forum

Design Pitch: MPC Retro "Forever 80s" collection

Stef

The mid 80s was the time I got deeply involved in building car models (had built nearly every sort of model before). Over here in Germany supply of american car kits was quite good at the time. I started with Matchbox/AMT kits, then got to know MPC and Monogram kits, and of course some Revells. Even back then I liked the cars the MPC models were depicting (Cuda, Chargers, 2nd gen Camaros/Firebird etc.), but the execution of the models, fit, quality of chrome plating, amount of flash, missing stock parts annoyed me. I liked AMT kits much better, although the line is thin. All those MPC molds seemed to have worn and beaten to death by the mid eighties already, I noticed that even with my child's eyes. Of course back then I didn't know why some of these kits existed, that they were successors/modified reissues of kits that originated in 1970, for example (like Camaro, Firebird, Cuda, ...). But for me as a young builder the kits and also the box arts turned me off. If the subjects weren't that exciting to me, I would have moved on to other topics. Today I see it slightly different, but if I'd want an MPC Cuda for example, I'd rather search for and pay an annual than an 80s Harry Bradley kit. But still they are a big part of my childhood and I had/have many of them, don't get me wrong!

On 5/6/2021 at 12:55 PM, Snake45 said:

IIRC it was around a '92 model, and I believe it's the same boxing I built right around that time just because I liked the beautiful turquoise paint Chevy laid on them last year. 

IF he still has it, I could probably get it from this vendor for $20, maybe even less. So you think I should get it? I'm not that wild to build another one, but it's always good to pick up stuff with good "swap fodder value." B)

Go for it.

Charlie Larkin

Since Round 2 is all about nostalgia I can see bring back the old kits in the same boxes and decals we had back then. Guys will buy them to build again, hopefully with a better skill level!

I wouldn’t recommend creating new themes in 80s context.

Stef, Stef, Stef...

What is wrong with you? Have you been living inside my head, or my basement?  Those two big composite photos of '80s MPC kits are AWESOME, and dude, you are right on my wavelength!!

I love the 80's MPCs! 80s MPC cars are like Matchbox planes and armour to me - I gotta have 'em!!!

I would love to see the '76 Pontiac and Superhawk, plus that obnoxious Turbo Z and the awesome "Turbo Bird" at least, reissued. I have so many of the others, but none of the Ford Vans, so Sorcerer or Juke Box would be epic! 

I don't know if Round 2 would go for all new decals and boxes, but I will say that I love the idea! Still, even if they only decided to reissue some more of these gems, that'd be something. 

I love where your head's at, and your enthusiasm. Is this an Ontario sickness? :)

Hello everyone

Wow wow wow... so much interest, discussion, ideas, and things to consider! Apologies for not participating much the past week; things have been a little crazy.

Just checking in to say thank you, and let you all know I'll be back here ASAP with a few concepts and/or ideas to bring to the table!

Thank you again everyone; we're going to keep the 80s alive, and show Round2 there's money to be made by resurrecting MPC's classic branding!

On 5/11/2021 at 4:49 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Since Round 2 is all about nostalgia I can see bring back the old kits in the same boxes and decals we had back then. Guys will buy them to build again, hopefully with a better skill level!

I wouldn’t recommend creating new themes in 80s context.

I'd like to see the Chevette reissued with its "Bonus Racing Diorama Parts."  A tent, table, chair, first-aid kit and 2 figures.  I have an original, but you can never have too many accessories.

chevette_77.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

I'd like to see the Chevette reissued with its "Bonus Racing Diorama Parts."  A tent, table, chair, first-aid kit and 2 figures.  I have an original, but you can never have too many accessories.

chevette_77.jpg

I could see this one selling pretty well, especially if the extra diorama goodies were included!

9 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I could see this one selling pretty well, especially if the extra diorama goodies were included!

I agree. One of the issues with annuals is that if the tooling exists, it’s in the last known version. So we will never see that 1977 era Chevette again.

If that tool still includes the bonus parts, it would be great to issue that last version with those extras.

• 4 months later...

I haven't heard anyone mention this gem.

736x-30.jpg.e2adff323dff1e343eba8e6cffc988d7.jpg

v-1.jpg.8cd199aff806bb1c67413bd4af126344.jpg

And my absolute favorite. I want to find another one to relive my youth.

v1636-1.jpg.5d35c689e266c1dd8f669ea4880a2537.jpg

And finally,

products-81.jpg.f036c0009da935fa0845fec1aa313e5a.jpg

Not that I'd want to see this aberration come back, but it was the last of the flat-nosed Elkys in kit form from MPC. It is the final incarnation before it was permanently altered into the 86 SS version we're so familiar with.

In my estimation, Round 2 could easily bring back any of these variations by simply making a separate new nose cap to attach to the front and an optional bench seat from the monster truck issue. The rest of the kit was pretty much unchanged from year to year.

Edited by Oldcarfan27
  • Like 1

And since we know Round 2 spent some time bringing back the old Datsun pickup, why not give it one more go-round with this one.

20211006_223345.png.ee0b2a91e63552d8ec47642212d77ea8.png

Box art was magnetic for me as a youngster and I remember having to sneak this kit into the house as I wasn't supposed to be bringing more junk home!

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

We haven't seen this one in a while. 

736x-23.jpg.6a52c40a60117e8ccef7c05de6fcb15e.jpg

20211006_223256.png.8c314c0d5da979e38bb85036af3326f7.png

While I personally would like to see it include decals for these models.

736x-21.jpg.00051d8c63bd79a374247f22990d3b7c.jpg

wp-content-112.jpg.9ffb2d9d9fa02fd710a890db17bdebe8.jpg

My first Box Art model for AMT! (My first build for them was a 49 Ford that was used in The Blueprinter photos and for trade shows, but didn't end up on the box) My second two were the stock and custom versions of the D50 Pickup. The custom truck on the cover was painted with Florescent Pink paint with a clear coat. (Hey, it was the Boyd Coddington era!) That thing was like electric bubble gum in person. The custom turbo engine, though finicky to build, looked pretty cool. Unfortunately, the colors don't show up very well in the photo.

s-l1600 (5)

s-l1600 (6)

d 50 2

Too bad I didn't have a decent camera back then! This is also a small copy. I'll have to dig this photo up and rescan it.

d 50 sm

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 11:15 PM, Smoke Wagon said:

I think the 2002 AMT/Ertl release was the most recent... it’s due for another reissue after 19 years. 3C64D276-4423-4F5D-8227-A36361188E32.jpeg.0d3f9215efd25adc0a9bf1b11e0d5eea.jpeg

I agree, but I would love to see this version again! I have one in the stash, but another one for building would be great! 

Airfix Aston Martin DB6 - classic kit whats in the box - Car Kit News &  Reviews - Model Cars Magazine Forum

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Cool box art, does this one have 4WD front axle?

I believe that it does , based upon my observation of leaf springs on the front .

It'd be great to see the D50 make a return ! Last time I built one was 37 years ago , having missed / dismissed the RC2 [ barf ] issue .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Cool box art, does this one have 4WD front axle?

Yes it does! I was surprised when they pulled those parts out from the last re-issues. And it also had some of the best off road tires at the time.

Here is a better pic of it, but as you can see, the monster truck trend was begging to creep in with the addition of the 1/20th scale wheels and tires! 

Picture 1 of 4

On 4/30/2021 at 10:25 AM, Snake45 said:

I'd like to see the "Custom Corvette" (ex-Mako Shark II) again. Of course, it would be even WAY cooler if Round 2 could/would restore it to original Mako Shark II specs. 

It's looking like this is a possibility next year (not the MS restoration, but the reissue of the "Custom Corvette"). 

On 10/1/2021 at 8:59 PM, alexis said:

This Chevette.

Is it close to the Bear Bait Kit? I'm guessing it is a progenitor of it. It would be a great re-issue with the Tent and other Extras.

Yep, "Bear Bait" was the '79 Chevette kit.  It had the 2 figures from the earlier releases in the box, but not the tent and other neat accessories.  I never knew that until I read Faust's review of the kit.  

MPC 1/25 1979 Chevette “Bear Bait” (OOB) | The Sprue Lagoon (wordpress.com)

• Like 1

I agree that the little Dodge D-50 would be a great kit to release right now. I'd take it any way they chose, but if they could restore the stock parts to it, that would be even better. I'd prefer the 2WD truck, but I think it has strong potential in any version they chose.

Those '80's Graphic Treatments are Bold and Colourful, and would stand out nicely now.

• Like 1