Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Portable Spray Booth*

Ok fellows....here is my makeshift spray booth.  I had the wife bring home a couple boxes and within 10 min this morning I had a paint booth.  Granted this is nothing fancy and it is only temporary.  I paint outside so I just needed something to block the wind so I can work on perfecting my paint skills.  I doubled up some paper towels and tapped to the back to catch the paint.       

20210504_085416.jpg

20210504_085432.jpg

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

Ok fellows....here is my makeshift spray booth.  I had the wife bring home a couple boxes and within 10 min this morning I had a paint booth.  Granted this is nothing fancy and it is only temporary.  I paint outside so I just needed something to block the wind so I can work on perfecting my paint skills.  I doubled up some paper towels and tapped to the back to catch the paint.       

20210504_085416.jpg

20210504_085432.jpg

You might want a bit more tape if it's gonna be out in the wind. Let us know how it goes.

I have the body, hood, and dash finish sanded and final prime.  I'll let the paint cure for 24 hrs and tomorrow try out my makeshift spray booth.  I'm hoping for better results this time around. 

20210511_110853.jpg

I got to try out my makeshift spray booth this morning. It did a good job of blocking most of the wind as it was windy again today.  I think the paint lied down a little better this time and the panel lines look pretty good.  I guess I'll know for sure once I get the gloss coat on and see what the finished product looks like.  

20210512_114058.jpg

20210512_114130.jpg

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

Thanks for the comments fellows but looking through my eyes I don't like what I'm seeing.  

Well we see it through a glass darkly so to speak, you see it directly and in person. What's wrong with it ?

Did you clear over the primer?

Was it your intent to build the car with an 'in primer' look? If so, forget the clear coat.

Was it your intent to finish the car in gloss grey? If so, I see a couple problems. First, lots of junk in the finish. That will be a factor of your painting environment, and perhaps the windy day. Also, before applying the clear coat, rub the primer with 1500 grit sand paper, then wash thoroughly, blot off most of the water with a lint free cloth and let air dry thoroughly. Before painting, give the surface a quick wipe with a lint-free cloth wetted with alcohol.

This finish can be saved with a little wet sanding and reapplication of clear.

Thanks Trevor,  I primed the body with Rust-Oleum 2X Gray and then airbrushed it with Ceramcoat acrylic Bridgeport Grey.  I shot Rust-Oleum 2X Gloss over that.  Yep.....lots of goodies in the clearcoat due to airbrushing outside.  I plan on wet sanding it tomorrow to see if I can improve the look.  Just don't know at this point.      

Edited by Zippi

I have my 65 Impala test body painted before I repaint the Nova.  I airbrushed the Tamiya X-7 Red yesterday morning and about an hour ago I sprayed it with the Tamiya TS-13.  I sprayed all this in my makeshift paint booth.  I'm looking for options on my next step.  Wet sand or just polish?  It still looks a little rough to me.  

20210514_113026.jpg

20210514_113039.jpg

20210514_113052.jpg

20210514_113117.jpg

20210514_113126.jpg

From the advise from a fellow on this forum I sprayed it again and put a couple more really wet coats on.  If this holds up once it cures it would be great.  

20210514_124404.jpg

20210514_124408.jpg

20210514_124415.jpg

Edited by Zippi

5 minutes ago, Zippi said:

From the advise from a fellow on this forum I spray it again and put a couple more really wet coats on.  If this holds up once it cures it would be great.  

20210514_124404.jpg

20210514_124408.jpg

20210514_124415.jpg

It might tone down slight in the next 24 hours but nothing you can't just polish back up. And then it will stay. I think you might be starting to see the benefit of a couple of extra really wet coat just about when you thought you were done lol. That finish looks promising !

Also fwiw the Tamiya acrylic clear colors can really pop too. I've used them in two way: colored clear coat over a solid color base coat. And as a candy type finish over rose gold metallic. I've also mixed the clear colors, like the red with blue for instance to come up with a kind of candy burgundy. They're cool to mess around with. I thin those with either LT or with DNA 50/50 or even slightly more thinner depending on the color.

4 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

It might tone down slight in the next 24 hours but nothing you can't just polish back up. And then it will stay. I think you might be starting to see the benefit of a couple of extra really wet coat just about when you thought you were done lol. That finish looks promising !

Also fwiw the Tamiya acrylic clear colors can really pop too. I've used them in two way: colored clear coat over a solid color base coat. And as a candy type finish over rose gold metallic. I've also mixed the clear colors, like the red with blue for instance to come up with a kind of candy burgundy. They're cool to mess around with. I thin those with either LT or with DNA 50/50 or even slightly more thinner depending on the color.

So Dave.....you think I should wet sand this or just polish it?  I finally got something worth keeping so I don't want to mess it up.  Haha....you are right.  I was getting frustrated and on the verge of giving up.  

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

So Dave.....you think I should wet sand this or just polish it?  I finally got something worth keeping so I don't want to mess it up.  Haha....you are right.  I was getting frustrated and on the verge of giving up.  

Never give up just redirect your path lol ! You won't go wrong whatever you decide in terms of polishing. You will know better tomorrow if it suits you or not. I don't know if you were around back in the 60's but these cars factory paint wasn't exactly anything to write home about right off the showroom floor.. And they weren't clear coated. So I guess it depends what your own expectations are. This was your paint mule as I recall ?

Wow Bob, looks great in the pictures.  Can't see in the pics if much or any orange peel and as Dave said, the paint jobs on the '60's Chevies were not very high quality. Do as he said, wait until tomorrow and if necessary then wet sand.     Good luck my friend.

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow Bob, looks great in the pictures.  Can't see in the pics if much or any orange peel and as Dave said, the paint jobs on the '60's Chevies were not very high quality. Do as he said, wait until tomorrow and if necessary then wet sand.     Good luck my friend.

Thanks Mike/Dave.  Since this is just a test body I'm trying to get a nice shiny finish.  I need a process for myself that I can repeat.  If the Impala paint works out I'll try and repeat it on the Nova body which is currently in the drink.

Edited by Zippi

• 11 months later...

Well fellows....I finally got myself a spray booth.  Whenever I use it I'll have to pull the truck outside and if the wife is home her car will be pulled out as well.  It's the vivoHOME Dual Fan.  I bought the dual fan because it's much bigger in physical size than the single fan units.  This one measures 22"W X 18.9"D X 14.1"H.  With the new paint booth I should have much more control over spraying and I'm hoping for better paint jobs.  Only time will tell.  I got this off Fleabay for $169 + FREE Shipping.  Could I have made one myself, I sure could have but I just sold a metal detector so it was pretty much and even swap.  

20220427_132727.jpg

20220427_132950.jpg

20220427_132857.jpg

20220427_141633.jpg

20220427_141624.jpg

This looks much nicer than the earlier version which I bought. I don't have much of an issue with smell while painting and have learned to leave it on and also leave the spayed pieces in the booth to continue pulling the fumes out as the paint dries a bit. Especially enamels.