Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Portable Spray Booth*

51 minutes ago, ksnow said:

Looks like a good unit. I just installed a booth in the basement shop and I love having the ability to paint indoors with no fumes, overspray, etc. 

Thanks Kyle.  Yeah, it's going to be nice not having to worry about the wind now.

3 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

This looks much nicer than the earlier version which I bought. I don't have much of an issue with smell while painting and have learned to leave it on and also leave the spayed pieces in the booth to continue pulling the fumes out as the paint dries a bit. Especially enamels.

Thanks Dave.  I was a little worried about over spray but I plan on moving the vehicles out of the garage when I spray.

1 minute ago, ewetwo said:

Your's looks bigger than mine. But before I bought the paint booth I would spray outside but still got an odor in the room as the emamal sprays would dry. 

The dual fan units are much bigger than the single fan units.  

Has anyone happened to stumble across a Hobby Down Draft Paint Spray Booth Model during their search for a booth?  The floor of this type of booth has a grate of some sort thus the air flow is thru the floor rather out the back of the spray booth.

Thank You in Advance!

Joe

Looks good Bob. Your booth is a smidgeon wider than the one I made up a little while ago. The secret to keeping BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of the paint is to move the painted items to a covered container to cure the paint. I use an insulated metal box with a light bulb on a dimmer but a dehydrator is supposedly good too. The deal is to move the painted object straight from the booth to the curing chamber to minimise any dust settling onto the wet paint. I also made a front cover to go over the open side of the booth to minimise dust and BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH getting into the booth. My workshop is general purpose with work stuff happening (self employed industrial electrician), metal working and worst of all woodworking - I try try to do the dustiest stuff outside

I see you have a Paasche H air brush - good choice. I have one of these amongst the others I have collected over the years and my general go to is a Badger 200 that I picked up about 20yrs ago

Pix of my set up below shows booth on top with the hot box curing chamber below

IMG_6209.thumb.JPG.0ee18618b96d1d58326fe2054f3f0887.JPG

45 minutes ago, bill-e-boy said:

Looks good Bob. Your booth is a smidgeon wider than the one I made up a little while ago. The secret to keeping BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of the paint is to move the painted items to a covered container to cure the paint. I use an insulated metal box with a light bulb on a dimmer but a dehydrator is supposedly good too. The deal is to move the painted object straight from the booth to the curing chamber to minimise any dust settling onto the wet paint. I also made a front cover to go over the open side of the booth to minimise dust and BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH getting into the booth. My workshop is general purpose with work stuff happening (self employed industrial electrician), metal working and worst of all woodworking - I try try to do the dustiest stuff outside

I see you have a Paasche H air brush - good choice. I have one of these amongst the others I have collected over the years and my general go to is a Badger 200 that I picked up about 20yrs ago

Pix of my set up below shows booth on top with the hot box curing chamber below

IMG_6209.thumb.JPG.0ee18618b96d1d58326fe2054f3f0887.JPG

Thanks man.  Looks like you've got it figured out pretty good.

• 4 months later...

Guys I have an update on painting with my spray booth in my garage.  I have the dual fan spray booth and it's working fine if I use my airbrush.  I am still using Tamiya rattle cans for my primer and I've been spraying that outside.  The last two models I build I sprayed the primer in my spray booth.  Big mistake on my part.  The rattle cans spray out a ton more paint vs my airbrush.  I have over spray on my 1:1 49 Chevy Restomod.  I can get it off the paint with a clay bar but no more using rattle cans in the spray booth.  Word to the wise.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:07 PM, Zippi said:

Guys I have an update on painting with my spray booth in my garage.  I have the dual fan spray booth and it's working fine if I use my airbrush.  I am still using Tamiya rattle cans for my primer and I've been spraying that outside.  The last two models I build I sprayed the primer in my spray booth.  Big mistake on my part.  The rattle cans spray out a ton more paint vs my airbrush.  I have over spray on my 1:1 49 Chevy Restomod.  I can get it off the paint with a clay bar but no more using rattle cans in the spray booth.  Word to the wise.

Just a thought, switch to bottled primer and airbrush that too. I did that 8 or 10 years ago and don't even think rattle can primer anymore. The rattle cans you have now can be decanted, winter is coming, the air is changing etc.

2 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Also Bob, that's a long run up and out, you may need a secondary blower up near the top to help suck those fumes out. You could cut a squirrel cage right into the existing venting.

Thanks for the info Dave.  Looks like I need to do a little research on some primer for my airbrush. 

On 4/27/2022 at 5:27 PM, JFK said:

Has anyone happened to stumble across a Hobby Down Draft Paint Spray Booth Model during their search for a booth?  The floor of this type of booth has a grate of some sort thus the air flow is thru the floor rather out the back of the spray booth.

Thank You in Advance!

Joe

I built one several years ago.  I used pegboard for the floor and a vacuum cleaner motor for the suction power, had to disassemble it and put blocks of wood under the pegboard to keep the vacuum from pulling the floor down.  I had a slide in furnace filter under the pegboard.  Worked pretty well, although the vacuum motor was quite loud.  We moved and I decided I needed a larger booth. I have it built and have used it occasionally, but I need to work out a better exhaust fan and vent system.

7 hours ago, Zippi said:

Thanks for the info Dave.  Looks like I need to do a little research on some primer for my airbrush. 

All I use is Stynylrez for acrylics and some enamels or Mr Color Primer Surfacer 1000 for enamels or lacquers. Some folks like the 1200 or 1500 better but I've had no trouble with the 1000, comes out very smooth. So far I've only found the Mr "Primer" Surfacer in light grey. Mr Surfacer comes in other colors but without the specific "Primer" designation.