Model Cars Magazine Forum

How often do you guys do models

On 4/29/2021 at 5:34 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Whenever I feel like it, when I'm not doing something else.

Yeah, what he said.  I'm not retired yet.  Winter provides some time, but when spring hits it's rare to sit down at the bench.  I have too much 1:1 rolling stock to maintain, and 2 acres of grass and shrubs, beds etc. to keep up with.  In retirement I hope to have a routine similar to Tony's above.

Another retired dude here (5 yrs). I like to build every day, some days only hour or less, other days 4-6 hrs if my wife is busy with her “stuff”. Not so much on weekends if kids are visiting.  I build at least two kits at a time so I have something to do while paint or bonds cure and it prevents me from rushing which leads to disasters/ regrets.  I love auto builds but mix it up with aircraft, ships and an occasional tank. I had a production line of early 60’s super stocks going since last year but am currently taking a break from cars and am building two of the five P-38 kits I have. I try to do one complex 1/350 ship subject every summer. Cars are still my favorite, gratification is quicker, they don’t take up much space and if I take a hammer to it, it’s not a $150 plane or $300 ship!

I generally work on one model at a time.  I am retired so I try to do something most every day unless I am in a slump.  On average I finish one model about every two weeks.  I am not nearly as detailed as some are, I try to enjoy without getting too frustrated.

My building revolves around the seasons. Winter time I usually spend 2 or 3 nights a week at the bench after work (2-3 hours) and Saturday and Sunday mornings to early afternoon are the norm. This time of year, bench time is almost non existent, between golf leagues and outdoor projects around the house/yard, not much gets built. Last year when the pandemic hit, work closed for 13 weeks, I built a years worth of kits in that time,  but I was spending 8 hours a day at the bench😎