Model Cars Magazine Forum

While building models ...

When you're working on a model, do you also have the TV or radio on at the same time or do you prefer silence? I usually like to play DVD's of classic TV shows when model building, especially if it's a kit of an old classic car or truck. It sort of sets the mood, LOL. Like recently when I was building a '36 Ford, I watched DVD's of the Three Stooges and I actually saw several '36 Fords in a couple episodes! 

Listening to Pink Floyd CD's while building models is also cool. I'm retro so I don't have cable or satellite TV or radio and I don't use the internet much, I own no smartphones or devices either. 

I have a TV with a DVD built in and cable with DVR as well as a stereo in the model room. I can’t tell you the last time I used any of it.

I pretty much build in silence. If I put something on I lose track of it because I am concentrating on what I’m doing. I don’t bring a beer there either because it will just go warm!

45 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I don’t bring a beer there either because it will just go warm!

I'm just the opposite, I love drinking beer while building models. No beer ever got warm when I was around! 

Yes, I too love beers while building, and I like to have a DVD of something in even if I’m rarely looking up. Ford v Ferrari was one I liked to let play a lot, also O’ Brother Where Art Thou, and most recently, before I went on my hiatus, I was letting the movie Stand By Me play over and over. I’m not sure what it is about that movie, but I just haven’t gotten enough of it yet. It likely has something to do with the time period of the 50’s with the oldies music ... seems to fit right in with building cars. Kinda strange though considering when I saw it for the first time I just thought it was pretty bland.

For many years I built models while watching TV. And then at some point TV suddenly got a lot better and I wanted to give it more than just half my attention or I'd miss something. Nowadays while modeling I have the radio on, usually talk radio.

One thing that was fun.. during the 24 Hour Build we had a Zoom chat going the entire time. People did come and go but there were a few of us on for the long haul including two fellows from the UK. 

It was nice to talk with folks and listen to conversation as we all built, and sometimes held up something we were building.

Since I build in the garage and it's usually 3-6 AM I like silence or I listen to music depending on my mood. The quiet can be relaxing and sometimes I hear an owl or coyotes in the distance and some birds when dawn is approaching. Always have considered model building a type of therapy.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:27 PM, Snake45 said:

For many years I built models while watching TV. And then at some point TV suddenly got a lot better and I wanted to give it more than just half my attention or I'd miss something. Nowadays while modeling I have the radio on, usually talk radio.

TV got better? I must have missed that. I do like talk shows though, especially when hosts and callers actually think that anything they say matters. 

Usually silence for me. Except for the water heater, furnace, A/C unit, dog wandering around upstairs, etc.

I am sectioning off part of the basement this summer for a small shop, maybe I will have a radio then. May end up having to find a CD player, I have a whole box of those.

i have a stereo receiver and a 5 disc CD changer.  also have a headphone adapter so i can plug an MP3 player or my phone into the stereo.  there's always music playing.  i flat out can't work in silence it drives me up the wall.

i also have a TV, DVD player and old Nintendo set up out there.  so it's not uncommon for me to be playing RBI Baseball or Excitebike while waiting for paint and glue to dry.  a few times iv plugged my laptop into the TV and watched shows on motor trend on demand.  but i seem to save the TV and DVD watching for RC car wrenching for some reason... 

1 hour ago, Suburban_Hooligan said:

it's not uncommon for me to be playing RBI Baseball or Excitebike while waiting for paint and glue to dry.

I remember Exitebike! Gripping side-scrolling action........ :P Remember Paper Boy? You had to dodge all kinds of obstacles while delivering newspapers.

I like it to be pretty quiet while I build, it's while I wait for drying times that I listen to my music.

I like to listen music while I'm building but sometimes silence is OK as well. Though many times the music stops for a while as I'm too concentrated on the model that I can't go and flip the record for side B or change it (Because vinyl records are the best). I usually don't listen to radio, because most of the times the music they play is not for me... I listen to '50s Rock N Roll and Rockabilly and '70s-'80s "Revival-Rockabilly" and pretty much nothing else.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:29 PM, John1955 said:

I'm just the opposite, I love drinking beer while building models. No beer ever got warm when I was around! 

I got used to warm beer in another lifetime so that wouldn't bother me.

I used to watch tv while building models building but the last 17 years I have had a room of my own to build in.

I will listen to 60's rock or 60's country but my favorite to build to is my Nugguts CD's.

Sometimes I listen to baseball games on the radio while building models. Since our local team is the Pittsburgh Pirates and the usual outcome is that they will lose the game, I am not distracted at all. This is not to say that I don't love the Pirates and love baseball, but when you live in an area where your favorite team can't afford to get the higher paid players, you get used to accepting defeat. 

On the plus side, at least the food has improved at PNC Park where the Pirates play when at home. They finally replaced those dried up and shriveled hot dogs and sponge like fries with delicious hot dogs and crisp fries. Unfortunately, only millionaires can afford to buy them though. 

On 5/5/2021 at 7:51 PM, JollySipper said:

I remember Exitebike! Gripping side-scrolling action........ :P Remember Paper Boy? You had to dodge all kinds of obstacles while delivering newspapers.

yeap, iv got it in the house (i don't mix my garage games and house games).  i got going on RC Pro AM last weekend.  ended up playing the game more that working the current build (70 Camaro) 🙄

I usually play music from YouTube. Can get a wide variety of music that way. Usually classic rock or blues.  Some times I get on an odd kick and play something strange (Yaz, Alison Moyet, Cigarettes After Sex, Imelda May, etc)

Later-

• 2 weeks later...

I always have something on so that I'm immersed in the past. Spotify quite often but also old TV on YouTube like Movin' on (I'm waiting for the day when Will and Sonny just deliver a load and get paid), BJ and the Bear. Also listen to Overdrive Radio. I have played Twinsticks Garage's restoration of his Peterbilt now and again.