Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Cougar convertible James Bond movie car.

Tiger89

This was my second convertible conversion from AMT's old kit.  The AMT '73 Cougar kit has the convertible top boot, and I used the chassis and engine bay from that kit, which are the same parts as were in MPC's old '69-'73 Cougars.  Sadly, I superglued the chassis onto the body crooked this morning, and I'm not going to try and correct it.  Interesting subject-one of the three Cougars used in the movie sold at auction in London for $481,000 last December.  The top-down scenes filmed in Portugal showed the car without the ski rack- all scenes filmed in the Swiss Alps including James' marriage proposal inside the barn showed the top up and two pair of skis on a trunk rack.  The Cougar was driven by "Bond Girl" Contessa Teresa (Tracy) di Vicenzo, played by the late Dianna Rigg.  This was a fun project even though it didn't turn out perfect.

IMG_7268.JPG

IMG_7269.JPG

IMG_7270.JPG

IMG_7271.JPG

IMG_7272.JPG

Agreed, Oliver.  As an owner of a real '68 Cougar, I have a fondness to this car, and being half-Swiss, I like the scenes filmed in Switzerland.  We went up the Schilthorn with its Bond Museum two years ago, and they recently found the barn where the marriage proposal happened, located near the Lake of Thun.