Model Cars Magazine Forum

I almost have the rear suspension sorted. The brass wires that run from the trailing arms to the tabs on the upper chassis tubes are stand-ins for the shocks. Once I have this together, I will reassemble the front suspension, and build shocks for both ends. I got the Goodyear markings from Joseph, at Fireball, yesterday. I had to buy a set of both scales (1/24, 1/25) because of the difference in tire sizes, front to rear. I also took a (poor) shot of the new mag cap, and a more clear shot of the seat padding. Questions, comments and critiques are, as always, welcome! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

Great job Daniel, I really like the pattern of the seat, it's very realistic!  Will it permanently retain the diamond shape you created or will the leather tend to slowly return to its natural shape over time?  The rear suspension is promising my friend, I'm not worried about the future... 😊

7 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job Daniel, I really like the pattern of the seat, it's very realistic!  Will it permanently retain the diamond shape you created or will the leather tend to slowly return to its natural shape over time?  The rear suspension is promising my friend, I'm not worried about the future... 😊

Thank you,  Francis.  I hope the leather will maintain its texture.  That's how they do 1:1 leathercrafting. I hope I can get the suspension put back together on my next day off.

The rear suspension  is together, once  again, after breaking one of the plastic "batwings" that mount the hairpins, as I was attempting to assemble them. I remade them, this time from aluminum. I also got the shocks made, overnight. There are seven pieces in each shock. the eyes and center "pistons" are soldered brass. Model railroad bolts will be used to mount them. As always, critiques, comments and questions are welcome. Thanks for the look-see!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

I got the entire suspension put back together, and the model set on the wheels. It fought me--heartily! I persevered, and I am happy with the results. I just noticed the spring shackle "flipped", causing the odd angle on the radius rod. As always--your questions, comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

2DSC_0002cr.jpg

2DSC_0004cr.jpg

2DSC_0016cr.jpg

2DSC_0019cr.jpg

On 6/26/2021 at 9:43 PM, CabDriver said:

I love it!  It’s cool to see someone going to all the extra effort on an oval racer build like this that ISN’T a NASCAR!  Very cool!

Thank you,  Jim! And, maybe one of these, that isn't a dirt tracker!😀

2 hours ago, afx said:

Coming along nicely.

Thanks, JC. I'm having a lot of fun with it!

I stumbled on this technique, back about the turn of the millennium, but hadn't really employed it, until now. It's more suited to simulated butt joints, rather than at actual seams, as it's difficult to disguise the edges. Still, it doesn't look awful. I used a ball-ended burnishing tool on the pictured cutting mat. This mat has a pebbled surface, which creates a pretty convincing weld, when embossed with the burnisher. The metal, in this case, is Maid-O-Metal 36 ga. tooling aluminum. Questions, comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

2DSC_0001cr.jpg

2DSC_0003cr.jpg

2DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

I just wanted to share these photos of Fireball Modelworks' Goodyear decals. They went on, flawlessly, and the carrier is virtually invisible! I'm going to shoot some Dullcote on them, and apply a little weathering, then start working on the wheels. I can't recommend Joseph's products, highly enough!

20210702_071217cr.jpg

20210702_071232cr.jpg

20210702_071240cr.jpg

I think it's about time I had a red car in my display case! Paint on belly pans is an old can of Krylon Cherry Red I have sitting around. It sprayed beautifully, and smelled like the old days! The body and nose will also be this color, once work on them is completed. I may, or may not do a scallop, on the nose.

2DSC_0001cr.jpg

2DSC_0002cr.jpg

2DSC_0006cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

I rebuilt  a portion of the rear suspension, after breaking a solder joint on one of the hairpins. I stripped them in Super Clean and fixed the one, then repainted them both. These photos are prior to that. I have since also remade the trailing arms, from brass. I'm hoping to wrap up the rear suspension in the next few days, although a couple of them will be long ones, work-wise. Thanks for looking! Questions, comments and critiques are always welcome.

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

Main front suspension components are painted and installed. Here it is, on the wheels, for the first time since initial construction and design. Final ride height is set. The rear is sagging, momentarily, as the shocks aren't installed, here. I still need to build the rear brakes, and paint the front ones. Questions, comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

• 2 weeks later...

I rebuilt the shocks, and painted them to match a set of old Gabriels I found online. The suspension is complete except for some detail paint on the shocks, and new bolts for the front shocks. I will machine something for the upper bolts, as those also mount the nerf bar. I still have to drill and paint the calipers, and install them. I'm trying to decide how to set up the brakes. Most of the dirt track supermods appear to have a hand brake. Paved track versions don't appear to, but, I can't find a cockpit photo that shows the pedal/master cylinder assembly. I'll probably just go with what I already know, where that's concerned. It's getting pretty close to being on the wheels, for good! As always, comments, critiques and questions are welcomed! Thanks for looking...

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

You always throw one or two things at me that's really impressive. In this set of photos its the welds on the tank. Not picture perfect but very realistic for the era this car is designed to replicate. Today's welding equipment might produce a better weld. A car from 1966? This is dead on.

This is great work Daniel, the whole front steering system with its components is first class like everything you do my friend... 😊  I remember my dad installing a pair of Gabriel shocks on his 75 Plymouth Fury when I was younger and I kept the sticker that came in the box at the time, I must still have it somewhere.  The color of these looks perfect to me by the way! 👍

On 7/28/2021 at 9:55 AM, iBorg said:

You always throw one or two things at me that's really impressive. In this set of photos its the welds on the tank. Not picture perfect but very realistic for the era this car is designed to replicate. Today's welding equipment might produce a better weld. A car from 1966? This is dead on.

Thank you,  Mike. I guess I have used it, before, on my '32 modified roadster.  It worked better, there, since it was a cylindrical tank. I had it posted on the old site.

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

This is great work Daniel, the whole front steering system with its components is first class like everything you do my friend... 😊  I remember my dad installing a pair of Gabriel shocks on his 75 Plymouth Fury when I was younger and I kept the sticker that came in the box at the time, I must still have it somewhere.  The color of these looks perfect to me by the way! 👍

Thanks, so much, my friend! I ended up using Tamiya metallic blue for the shocks. I thinned it with window cleaner and shot it through the airbrush. I was surprised at how quickly it cured! When I got home, this morning,  I got the front nerf bar soldered together!

Thank you both for looking and commenting! I appreciate it!

Getting ready to run the brake lines. The rotors and calipers are installed, and the wheels slip onto the axles. I finished and installed the front nerf bar, as well. Seemed like a good time to set everything together, and see how she looks. I have  a bit of detail painting to do, yet. I think I like it! Critiques, questions and comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

DSC_0028cr.jpg

DSC_0031cr.jpg

DSC_0036crb.jpg

I've been working on the brake pedal and master cylinder. The pedal is mounted, the master cylinder isn't, yet. The master cylinder is scratched from various Evergreen and Plastruct. I turned the cap from 1/8" aluminum rod. The pedal is soldered brass (I've concocted a story, behind it). I'm working on the fittings for the brake lines, from the master cylinder, currently. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Monogram Don Edmunds Supermodified