Model Cars Magazine Forum

27 minutes ago, absmiami said:

Knurled cap on the fluid reservoir - yes we noticed - was that done with a certain hand tool - or what - I have a fetish for master cylinders - sorry …

I used the knurling tool on my Sherline. No apologies needed-I kind of have a thing for them, myself! Thank you, Andrew.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:20 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice little shiny details Daniel, you never fail to impress us my friend. 😍

Thank you, my friend! I have nothing on guys like you and Tim and Charlie--except fun--I'm sure I have just as much fun! 🙂 I did use my mill to drill this, so I can cut them into "T"s for the brake lines.

On 8/10/2021 at 6:36 AM, absmiami said:

Wait. You’ve got the sherline kneeling tool? Correct ?

Sorry I missed this. Yes, sir, I do. With the 80tpi wheels, not 100tpi, as I reported erroneously, at an earlier date!

DSC_0021cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

DSC_0026cr.jpg

I have the brakes installed. I made the throttle pedal from brass strip and rod. It's been dipped in Blacken-It. I'll add some sheen to it, either with Rub N Buff or some graphite. Next up, I will drill the fuel tank, and insert bungs for the outlet, return and tank vent. The main line and return will run along the right side of the cockpit, along the bottom frame tube.

I am trying to decide/figure out if I want to install a motorcycle battery to power an electric fuel pump, and where to put it; Or, figure out if I can/how to do it, use the magneto to power an electric fuel pump. Ideally, the electric pump allows me to use the Webers on the cross ram.  Otherwise, I'm likely stuck with a boring, old Hilborn, with the cam-driven pump.

Anyhoo...thanks for looking. As always, questions, critiques and comments are welcome!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

Front Brake Lines.jpg

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

DSC_0026cr.jpg

• Like 1

I've been running the chassis fuel lines. I'm really disappointed in myself for not paying better attention to the paint on the chassis. It looks like an anagram for a certain bottom-feeding fish! I got the main fuel line and the return line hooked into the tank. The fittings are made with wire and Plastruct hexagonal stock. Main fuel line is braided lead-core fishing line. Return line is .020" beading wire. I made a zip-tie, using Clover House black monofilament, to bind the "hoses" to the chassis. I am very happy with the way the lines "flow"! As soon as I sort the interface between the  throttle pedal/linkage and firewall, I should be able to run these lines through the firewall, and get that installed. That will be a big  step toward mounting the wheels. As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

2DSC_0001cr.jpg

2DSC_0008cr.jpg

2DSC_0013cr.jpg

3DSC_0004cr.jpg

3DSC_0005cr.jpg

3DSC_0009cr.jpg

3DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

18 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great work as usual Daniel, there are always something to lean from your great techniques, I feel like I am in school but in a fun way... 😁

I always appreciate your kind words, Francis! If I can pass along anything I've figured out, or learned from others, and it helps or inspires other modelers, then I am happy! That is one of the things I enjoy most, about this hobby.

I got everything installed, except the link from the throttle pedal, to the pivot. I still need to fine tune the fit of the firewall, and attach it in place. The bracket is for the throttle linkage. Once this is all buttoned up, I will build the dash, and then, it's on to the engine, which I have been sorting out. I have a story to go along with it, but, I'll save that for then. Any questions, critiques and comments are welcome, and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

No photos, yet, but construction has begun on the engine. In order to use the kit's block/in-out box, which is already drilled to match the firewall,  I had to remove the oil pan and filter, and replace them. I found a new front cover, too.

When I take and post photos,  I will explain my idea regarding the fuel system. I think I am at a place where I can mount the wheels and tires, but, am holding off to be sure.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:08 AM, Kingslug said:

Super nice!..Learning things from this for my build.

Thanks, Ira! I hope that I can pass along useful stuff, as it's been passed along, to me.

15 hours ago, Art Laski said:

Totally cool, Dan! Loving your progress and all the enhancements!

I appreciate that, Art. Thanks for your comments, sir!

I have the seat and harness set mounted/installed. I need to do a little touch up to the paint, and I still want to adjust the straps, a bit. The belts are made from wine bottle "lead" foil. Hardware is Detail Master. I also installed the tube that mounts the dash panel. Next,  I think  will be that very panel, with its gauges and switches, and a shut-off valve. As always, questions, critiques and comments are welcome. Thanks for looking!

Also shown  here: When I build the engine for this project, I wanted to replicate the look of a hand/home sand-cast throttle body. Considering the roughness of the casting, I rolled some  aluminum tubing beneath descending grades of sanding  boards. I think the texture looks as it should. Unfortunately, I don't think I want to make four pairs! However, it occurs to  me that the texture might also serve as galvanized fence poles?

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0021cr.jpg

DSC_0024cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

The belts are made from wine bottle "lead" foil.

There's no harm in combining fun with pleasure as we say around here (I don't know if it translates well in English...).  Another good tip from you by reusing an everyday product, just don't overuse the good stuff... 😁

On 9/12/2021 at 10:25 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

There's no harm in combining fun with pleasure as we say around here (I don't know if it translates well in English...).  Another good tip from you by reusing an everyday product, just don't overuse the good stuff... 😁

Gosh, Francis. I haven't had a drink in about four years. Not for any other reason than I don't care to! But, to be honest, these probably came  from bottles of Scotch. Yes, I like to use it, for its  "poseability".

I got the wheels and tires mounted, and test-fitted the body, for the first time, in a spell. Spent the last few hours of my modeling time working out and working on the dash panel and gauges. Comments and questions are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

• Like 1

I found enough  time to get the dash mostly finished, and make a sending unit for the oil pressure gauge. Figured I'd better, since the gauges are sitting right out in the open! I need to create and print a decal for the fuel shutoff. Questions comments and  critiques are, as always, welcome. Thanks for having  look!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

I've got some work done on the steering wheel. I cut the wheel, itself, from aluminum flashing, then drilled the holes around the hub. I am hoping to create a wood-rimmed wheel for this model. To that end, I cut some narrow strips of walnut veneer. I rolled them under a length of aluminum rod, to begin curling them. I then soaked them in water for 24 hours, or so. I then  rolled them, again, and taped them around some pieces of 3/4" aluminum rod. I will let them sit for a few days before I unwrap them. I've no idea if this will work, but, I am determined to find out! As can be seen, the spokes need some cleanup. The pinhead is only temporary attachment. As always, questions, critiques and comments are welcome. Thanks for looking!

2DSC_0003cr.jpg

2DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Monogram Don Edmunds Supermodified