Model Cars Magazine Forum

The manifold:

I have always loved the way the cross-rammed FI setup for the Big Block Chevy looks. I can't find anything about there ever being such a setup for a small block Chevy, other than newer electronic setups. I decided that I would build my own. It will represent a home-built unit, constructed by a craftsman, using the tools available to him. Think of a Burt Munro kind of guy. In this case, our builder was  interested in seeing if he could build it, and make it work. If it's competitive, so much the better! Making it work was the aim...

I began with the cross ram runners from Revell's '67 'Vette. I then found an old AMT (I believe) tunnel ram, for a small block. I cut the runners from that, and milled the upper surface flat, and cleaned out a place for the mag. I added a water crossover from an '80s Monogram NASCAR kit. So far, I am happy with it.

DSC_0005cr.jpg.61e054afb094d75abda58a3e95efa88f.jpg

DSC_0030cr.jpg.c5cf49b1109f3882bd8557f9c3102c83.jpg

DSC_0031cr.jpg.9ece810f054028ffddd43919d611c4cb.jpg

DSC_0032cr.jpg.1a3228f257f27ab2349d52e97f9b6046.jpg

I have just begun work on the throttle bodies. I selected some aluminum tubing that is very close to the size of the throttle bodies from a Monogram sprint car. To create a more cast-looking texture, I rolled it under sanding boards of diminishing grits. An ink wash, and a shot of Dullcote should do the rest. I couldn't help myself from white gluing them to the manifold, along with the Corvette script valve covers set atop the heads, to really begin to get a look at what I envisioned, when I started. As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcomed...even encouraged. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0013cr.jpg.080794a8fbbedda828b2b2d8783539cb.jpg

DSC_0001cr.jpg.1581d5f8db2a71c92d219481663e3f01.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg.16a802453ca53a2f223a9098bab5c54c.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg.a5e8503d8f8eb46d5fee28c2d211d777.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg.b53c5f63567374e7c14d659b14414f7c.jpg

I made the injector stacks using a punch and die setup I made back around the turn of the century. It's a very simple, basic setup, and is pretty much limited to making one size injector stacks. Fortunately, they're the size I need, here! They're long, so that they insert through the throttle bodies, ensuring that everything will end up in the same place, so to speak. I had to mock it up, again, with everything where it belongs, just to check it out. I'm liking it, so far! Lots of details to add. I also have to find out what's suddenly keeping the engine from "nestling", up front.

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0009crb.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

On 10/19/2021 at 9:05 AM, Kingslug said:

At a car show saw a guy who built a brand new  1969 Jag XKE and put Weber carbs on it..took him a year to sort it out..all 12 of them LOL..

I think I may have heard, a time, or two that may have actually still been easier than sorting out the Lucas injection! 😃

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last update, I have built a radiator, installed pins for all the hoses--I found some very flexible vinyl tubing that will serve nicely for the water hoses. I borrowed a water pump from a Monogram sprinter. I had to move the oil filter mounting location, in  the interest of clearance. I have been putting the mill to good use, drilling precision holes in the scratched fuel pump (not yet quite complete) and in the throttle bodies. I went over the throttle bodies again, with the sanding sticks, and polished the stacks. I'm very happy with the way those look! Questions, critiques and comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

DSC_0031cr.jpg

DSC_0033cr.jpg

• Like 1

Dan, just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed your progress so far.  I too am a big fan of the Monogram Edmunds supermod and while I have extensively modified two versions so far, I haven't gone close to achieving the amazing detailing you are crafting here for us all to see. Great to see this level of dedication.

Cheers

Alan

18 hours ago, alan barton said:

Dan, just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed your progress so far.  I too am a big fan of the Monogram Edmunds supermod and while I have extensively modified two versions so far, I haven't gone close to achieving the amazing detailing you are crafting here for us all to see. Great to see this level of dedication.

Cheers

Alan

Thank you, very kindly, Alan. I sincerely appreciate your comments! Some have called me a little daft, for putting so much work into these old Monogram kits. 😅But,  I truly love them. I find it satisfying to end up with something that is pretty unique! Thanks again, my friend.  I am glad you're enjoying this!

Since I got home from work, I've spent some time working on the fuel block.  Inspired by the  works of Francis Laflamme, Tim Hoagland and  Charlie Libby, I chucked a short length of 1/4" aluminum rod in the lathe chuck, mounted the rotary table vertically, and milled it square. I then through-drilled the single hole; It will mount the throttle crank. Next, I rotated it 90 degrees, and drilled the four holes for the lines that will feed the injectors. I then moved the chuck to the lathe, and drilled lengthwise through the piece. This hole will provide the main fuel feed from the pump, and the return. Lastly, I cut it off with a razor saw, in a miter box. Helpful hint--run your saw blade through beeswax for an easier cut!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

On 11/6/2021 at 11:24 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Since I got home from work, I've spent some time working on the fuel block.  Inspired by the  works of Francis Laflamme, Tim Hoagland and  Charlie Libby, I chucked a short length of 1/4" aluminum rod in the lathe chuck, mounted the rotary table vertically, and milled it square. I then through-drilled the single hole; It will mount the throttle crank. Next, I rotated it 90 degrees, and drilled the four holes for the lines that will feed the injectors. I then moved the chuck to the lathe, and drilled lengthwise through the piece. This hole will provide the main fuel feed from the pump, and the return. Lastly, I cut it off with a razor saw, in a miter box. Helpful hint--run your saw blade through beeswax for an easier cut!

Thank you so much for mentioning my name with such good machinists my friend.  I am very honored if what I do has inspired you but I think what you do yourself inspires many...  I always find something to add to my arsenal when I visit your threads.  You've always been able to make amazing things in a conventional way, adding precision machinery only allows you to go even further!  This is still great work you are presenting here, even if the word "work" is only used to describe things!

You have fun doing what you do and it shows! 👌

Francis

23 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thank you so much for mentioning my name with such good machinists my friend.  I am very honored if what I do has inspired you but I think what you do yourself inspires many...  I always find something to add to my arsenal when I visit your threads.  You've always been able to make amazing things in a conventional way, adding precision machinery only allows you to go even further!  This is still great work you are presenting here, even if the word "work" is only used to describe things!

You have fun doing what you do and it shows! 👌

Francis

Thank you, my friend! It's true--I am happiest at the bench. I enjoy sharing the things I have learned/figured out. It may be something simple, or, perhaps something that played on my mind, for years, like the louvers. It's better when we are all being inspired by, and learning from, our fellow modelers! You're right! We call it work, but, it's really our "play"! Thanks for looking, and, as always, for your comments!

I got the front cover and water pump painted and installed. I also installed a couple of the water hoses. Hose clamps are made from aluminum duct tape. I am not sure where the tubing came from. It is very soft and flexible. I suppose the left side hose could have been routed directly, but, somewhere in my searches, I saw one routed this way, and liked it, so...Thanks for looking! Questions and comments are always welcome.

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

I got the fuel pump finished and installed, as well as the radiator. The fuel pump is scratched, and consists of 21 pieces of plastic and brass. The radiator is a cut-down kit piece with the tank made of laminated sheet styrene. The draincock is made from a short length of hypodermic tubing with a valve/handle made from thin brass strip. It feels like I am pretty close to installing the "short block" assembly. Questions, comments and critiques are, as always, welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

• Like 1

I had to cut away some of the rear body, to get it to clear the chassis tubes, (which also ha to be trimmed)--It fits, now!  Using their own color chart, I  "Zolatoned" the interior of the body. Attached is  I added bolts to the engine plate, ran the harness for the kill switch, and installed the bracket for the throttle rod. I think that I will be working on the header flanges, next. I will use them to make a jig to build the  headers. It's getting there, little by little. A always, comments, questions and critiques are welcome. Thanks fer lookin'!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg

DSC_0032cr.jpg

80-75.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

I am beginning work on the headers. I used heat shrink tubing for the collectors. Once the pipes were aligned, and the tubing shrunk, I carefully re-heated the tubing, and formed it around the individual pipes. I made a buck, from the same solder I will be using for the headers, and tapered the end with sanding sticks, until it was the same diameter as the pipe. I am pretty happy with the way they worked out! I was able to bend the "tailpipe" by supporting the sides in my bench vise. One has a slight dimple in the inner radius. I will likely make another to replace it. As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

3 hours ago, absmiami said:

Well done

im just starting to grasp

that the phones in our pocket do so many things better than the desk tops in the office …

Thanks, Andy. Yeah, it's pretty amazing to think about the "power" we carry around with us! It's got more computing power than any of my first two or three computers did.

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Monogram Don Edmunds Supermodified