Model Cars Magazine Forum

In case the wood doesn't work...

I bumped the "y" axis handwheel, and started one hole in the wrong place, but caught it before drilling through. I should be able to fix it right up, once I get the nichrome rivets in place. I still need to turn the back grip. Once that's done, and it's all assembled, I will do final shaping and cleanup. I think I might save the wood for a later project. I kinda like the way this Delrin looks!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

2 hours ago, absmiami said:

Delrin is great stuff. But it doesn’t like glue - let us know what works for you …

I got it assembled. The eight rivets and superglue were plenty strong to withstand my scrubbing with sanding sticks. I bought a jewelers ring clamp, recently. It was extremely helpful in this process.

I can't seem to get photos from my phone to load here. Will post some, after work. I am very happy with this!

13 hours ago, absmiami said:

Delrin is great stuff. But it doesn’t like glue - let us know what works for you …

Okay, I'm home, now. Here's the mostly finished wheel. I knew that Delrin was going to pose some difficulties in the adhesive department. I did some research, and didn't find anything helpful, to that end. Superglue seems to be the best option, so that's what I used. In this case, it only needs to provide basic adhesion, since the lion's share of the attachment work is handled by the eight nichrome wire rivets. I still need to do some finish shaping. I bought a jeweler's ring clamp, a few months back. It's been invaluable in finishing this steering wheel. I'd recommend picking up one. It's one of those tools that you may not use, daily, but when you find places to use it, you wonder why you didn't get one much earlier!

3DSC_0001cr.jpg

3DSC_0005cr.jpg

3DSC_0018cr.jpg

3DSC_0023cr.jpg

3DSC_0024cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

This is looking beautiful, Dan.  That steering wheel is a work of art. I have a stalled Edmunds replica on the bench and have built several in the past so I have really enjoyed the work you have put into this one.  I once emailed Don Edmunds (RIP) and he very graciously replied with some info about his original car.

I also like the work you did on the belly pan.  The lazy part of me wanted to leave it plastic, the fussy part of me wanted aluminium.  Looks like ali is the go!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

13 hours ago, alan barton said:

This is looking beautiful, Dan.  That steering wheel is a work of art. I have a stalled Edmunds replica on the bench and have built several in the past so I have really enjoyed the work you have put into this one.  I once emailed Don Edmunds (RIP) and he very graciously replied with some info about his original car.

I also like the work you did on the belly pan.  The lazy part of me wanted to leave it plastic, the fussy part of me wanted aluminium.  Looks like ali is the go!

Cheers

Alan

Thank you, Alan! I appreciate you checking  it out. Even better that you're enjoying it. I've found that most racers are pretty cordial, when they understand that you're serious in your questions. Very cool that he responded!

I'm very happy with the steering wheel. I think the plastic better suits the theme of this model, than an Italian wooden wheel. 😃 Mainly, I use aluminum, so that I can avoid painting! Seriously, though, mostly, I use it, because I really enjoy working  with it. You must go with the aluminum, my friend! You'll be glad you did.

8 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Fantastic detail as usual Daniel. 😊  I really like your steering wheel, you really managed to reproduce the antique look of the period piece.  Well done, waiting to see another jewel from you because it will inevitably happen...! 👌

Thank you, my friend! I even managed to use my mill to index holes in three different parts, and have them align! That's something of an accomplishment, in itself, for a trigonometrically-challenged individual, such as I. I am pretty happy with the wheel.

I started work on the engine by installing aluminum freeze plugs.

DSC_0002cr.jpg.366c4d765f1c0b1ae5f88009347af312.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg.d1a9a7f28c4f4eeae084b3dc6a9976b9.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg.fb0ef72b0e9cae00f842dca5be9561a8.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg.13100f255c8fb8960c96e782bf2ec79e.jpg

On 10/5/2021 at 9:03 AM, Kingslug said:

Nice!

Thank you, Ira.

23 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Awesome scratchbuilding!

Thanks, Dennis. It's what I enjoy, most!

19 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job Daniel, the aluminum freeze plugs are great touch and the magneto is absolutely gorgeous!  You don't waste any time to impress us my friend... 😁

Thank you, again, my friend! I'm using the mill more frequently, now. I used it to drill the holes in the mag cap. I thought the freeze plugs would be a nice, simple enhancement. They worked out, pretty nicely, I think!

The farther you go, the more you amaze me with this project. Awesome work.

A couple of suggestions...

You have included a return fuel line. That's good for Hilborn mechanical fuel injection. For Webers, it's inappropriate. They have float bowls with needle valves.

Electric fuel pump suits a modern car, but a traditional car would most likely have a mechanical pump. Partly because when the car gets crashed, they would want the fuel pump to stop with the engine to prevent fuel pumping out feeding a fire. That can be achieved with modern electronics. But not likely in the 60s/early 70s. Another issue is the small battery going dead in the course of Practice, Qualifying, Trophy Dash, several heats, C-Main, B-Main, and A-Main. And most tracks would not have any provision for a battery charger in the most commonly infield pits. These days, many racers would have a portable generator with them in their enclosed trailer.

2 hours ago, DustyMojave said:

The farther you go, the more you amaze me with this project. Awesome work.

A couple of suggestions...

You have included a return fuel line. That's good for Hilborn mechanical fuel injection. For Webers, it's inappropriate. They have float bowls with needle valves.

Electric fuel pump suits a modern car, but a traditional car would most likely have a mechanical pump. Partly because when the car gets crashed, they would want the fuel pump to stop with the engine to prevent fuel pumping out feeding a fire. That can be achieved with modern electronics. But not likely in the 60s/early 70s. Another issue is the small battery going dead in the course of Practice, Qualifying, Trophy Dash, several heats, C-Main, B-Main, and A-Main. And most tracks would not have any provision for a battery charger in the most commonly infield pits. These days, many racers would have a portable generator with them in their enclosed trailer.

Glad you're enjoying this!

My research led me to the conclusion that you stated. Here's my idea:

I wanted to use a mechanical pump, for sure. Once I discovered that the Webers and a mechanical pump wouldn't play well,  together, I decided that I would modify the intake manifold. That done, I will build some throttle bodies, and turn it into a home-built injection system.

Also, I really didn't want to put a battery in the car, either. Thus, mechanical gauges and the mag. I don't know if my idea for the injection would work, but I don't know why it wouldn't be feasible, at least.

I really appreciate your comments regarding my models. They've been a big help. Thank you!

Oiling is mocked up, in place, to recheck fit. I made and printed the decal for the filter. It looks like the ink ran a tad, when I wet them. Oh, well. It's still obvious to be an AC. It also says "PF-25" and "FULL-FLOW". I also started messing around with the grille. It's an old automatic transmission filter screen that I domed and polished. It still needs work on its fit. As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

I've gotten a few things finished, recently. The in-and-out box engagement mechanism is scratchbuilt from 14 various bits and pieces. I got the block painted, and the oil filter installed. The bracket and manifold  for that, are soldered brass  pieces. I also turned a harmonic balancer, and started building the fuel pump. I have joined Andy Sapiro's Parafilm club. Good--nay--great call, sir! Questions comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

DSC_0028cr.jpg

DSC_0033cr.jpg

DSC_0042cr.jpg

DSC_0043cr.jpg

DSC_0045cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Monogram Don Edmunds Supermodified