Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Plymouth rear suspension & exhaust

Trying to make out what's happening with this 71 Plymouth and what to do on my build of it.  Was test-fitting the partially completed rear suspension and exhaust, noticed that 1) the leaf springs seem greatly extended nearly to the end of the chassis, and 2) the exhausts do NOT extend as far out as seen in my plastic.  

I'm tempted to clip back the exhaust and leave/ignore the suspension unless there's a reasonable, not-too-crazy solution.  What are y'all seeing here and what would you do?

xC3ipSM.jpg

mDswPWe.jpg

wHWCwX2.jpg

Those are extended shackles used to raise the rear end of the car. You can replicate them with Evergreen strips but they're pretty delicate. To kind of fake it you could add a couple thin strips coming down from where the rear of the spring mounts.

As for the exhaust, not every car had the shotgun tips, especially cars without the hot engines. I imagine the car has the standard exhaust tips that just turn down behind the rear valance.

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

Those are extended shackles used to raise the rear end of the car. You can replicate them with Evergreen strips but they're pretty delicate. To kind of fake it you could add a couple thin strips coming down from where the rear of the spring mounts.

As for the exhaust, not every car had the shotgun tips, especially cars without the hot engines. I imagine the car has the standard exhaust tips that just turn down behind the rear valance.

Thanks, that helps a lot!  Was able to find some pics based on what you told me here.  Nice to know I wasn't seeing things...not so nice to know I'll have to extend the leaf springs....and reinforce them....

1 hour ago, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

Thanks, that helps a lot!  Was able to find some pics based on what you told me here.  Nice to know I wasn't seeing things...not so nice to know I'll have to extend the leaf springs....and reinforce them....

Glad I could help. If you decide to build the shackles you might can add an axle support coming out of the top of the axle to help support the weight of the car.

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

Glad I could help. If you decide to build the shackles you might can add an axle support coming out of the top of the axle to help support the weight of the car.

Already on it.  Think I can pull it off with brass rod.  More worried about how to lengthen the leaf springs themselves without weakening them.  Right now I'm extending the frame to support it, since the kit chassis has no frame in that area.