Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interior Painting

Looking for suggestions for painting one piece interior "tubs".  Brush painting door panels (when 2 or more diffenent colors) sometimes just doesn't cut it.  And the super narrow chrome trim can be a....well you know LOL. Masking can be difficult at times too.  So my Friends, what ya got??

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It's sometimes useful to cut the sides off the tub, detail paint everything to your satisfaction, and then reassemble everything. I don't do this often, but I have done it and it works. 

That's something I haven't thought about before, good idea.

Steve takes the cake with his example!

Masking tape, the old-fashioned type (not the purple for house painting, I hate that) is my most used, sometimes use Scotch tape.  Use a new #11 blade to cut.  This Porsche 959 required 7 colors (if I recall correctly), hate brush painting so even the speakers got masked and painted.
IMG_2675_Fotor.thumb.jpg.e81a51a6c57a0897baa2c242d3c7aeea.jpg
IMG_2686_Fotor.thumb.jpg.2674d58e0569b0dd754a553016105205.jpg

In my example above, the entire tub started in white primer.

Then the parts to remain white were masked and the medium turquoise was air brushed on.

After that it was just a matter of masking and brush painting the remainder of the striping.

Once the painting was finished, I gave the entire tub a very light dusting of pearl acrylic to give it a metallic sheen.

All of the masking was done with Tamiya masking tape.

Steve

The thing is if you go in thinking you're just gonna knock something out and be done you will get frustrated. It's like hand rod wrapping a new fly rod blank with all the wire guides and thread, if you figure on getting just 3 or maybe 4 done in a sitting, next thing you know by the end of a week you're putting the finish coat on it all.

Edited by Dave G.

Tamiya tape (also Washi tape) adhesive is fairly low-tack.  It is a desired feature.  If you combine low-tack with narrow tape the yes, it will appear nto to stick well, especially if it is used over flat finish paint.

49 minutes ago, peteski said:

Tamiya tape (also Washi tape) adhesive is fairly low-tack.  It is a desired feature.  If you combine low-tack with narrow tape the yes, it will appear nto to stick well, especially if it is used over flat finish paint.

So if it's low-tack, is it good for masking (for 2 different colors, in my case red and white)??

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

So if it's low-tack, is it good for masking (for 2 different colors, in my case red and white)??

Use some of the wider stuff.

I believe the stuff I use is 3mm.

I only buy one size and cut it down to the size I need with a straight edge and X-acto blade.

personally, I think the tack is perfect for masking for several colors.

If you burnish it down well, it will give you perfect edges.

As I said, the ‘61 Buick interior above was done with Tamiya tape and as you can see, no bleed under whatsoever.

As with everything, if you take your time, you’ll get good results.

Steve

Some of the problems I have run into with regular masking tape....it sticks too good, and either leaves adhesive residue, or it can pull off some of the underlying paint. I prefer Tamiya tape, or the low tack painter's tape, especially the cheap stuff from the generic dollar type stores. 

I hope you guys don't mind if I jump in with another interior related question. I come from airplane modeling and used pre-shading on panel lines or low corners in the cockpit and such to enhance the depth. Have you guys ever tried this technique on the seats or other interior parts? I was thinking of shading the folds and highlighting the high points and see how it looks.

9 hours ago, AlbertD said:

I hope you guys don't mind if I jump in with another interior related question. I come from airplane modeling and used pre-shading on panel lines or low corners in the cockpit and such to enhance the depth. Have you guys ever tried this technique on the seats or other interior parts? I was thinking of shading the folds and highlighting the high points and see how it looks.

Go for it. If it looks good, take some pics and post us up a tutorial! B)

18 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Use some of the wider stuff.

I believe the stuff I use is 3mm.

I only buy one size and cut it down to the size I need with a straight edge and X-acto blade.

personally, I think the tack is perfect for masking for several colors.

If you burnish it down well, it will give you perfect edges.

As I said, the ‘61 Buick interior above was done with Tamiya tape and as you can see, no bleed under whatsoever.

As with everything, if you take your time, you’ll get good results.

Steve

18 hours ago, peteski said:

Yes, like Steve said, Tamiya tape (burnished well) is good for multi-color paint jobs.

Thanks Guys!!  The Tamiya tape I have is 3mm.  On this interior I sprayed the whole tub (back seat, side panels and the separate front seat) white enamel. Then brush painted free hand the craft red on the seat and side panels (both of which are to be red and white. Came out just so-so. I actually did this twice.  So, gonna strip off the red which is craft paint again and give the Tamiya tape a try, and spraying the red.   Maybe third time will be a charm.