Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Model "A" Dilemma

Right now I am at a crossroads. Not sure what to do with this kit, I know it is fairly rare and not sure if I can do it justice. Tackle it and do my best, or move it along to someone else? Not sure.

I tend to want to change things too much, and usually, the things I mess with can be replaced. I know I cannot do stock, that is something I have never done. I am thinking a period hot rod, but nothing that ruins the integrity of the original kit. and try to use vintage kit parts (or parts of kits reissued over and over)

Thinking 56 Ford Y block, Chrome reverse w/big and littles and a non metallic paint. Maybe blue with black fenders.

Any thoughts? 

Going in the purple pond while I decide what to do.

IMG_20210502_103533[1].jpg

IMG_20210502_101246[1].jpg

IMG_20210502_101318[1].jpg

IMG_20210502_101308[1].jpg

IMG_20210502_101259[1].jpg

IMG_20210502_101252[1].jpg

That's a built up to start, not an unbuilt original. I say build it any way you want. BTW, I would have said that even if it was an unbuilt original!😀

Edited by larman

You might consider waiting for the coming Round 2 reissue of the woody/roadster pickup kit.  It is based on this sedan kit (fenders and chassis components are the same) and has a rod version.  That kit has a nearly all plated flathead engine.  You will still need to think about a dropped front axle, as neither of these kits include one.  I'd use those solid Halibrand wheels, and scrounge a quick-change center section for the rear axle to go with them.

Another option would be to search out the late Seventies one-shot roadster pickup rod issue.  That one has a small-block Chevy V8, Corvette rear suspension, and a nice set of Mehelich (Halibrand clone) slotted wheels.  Still no dropped front end though.

4 hours ago, Mark said:

You might consider waiting for the coming Round 2 reissue of the woody/roadster pickup kit.  It is based on this sedan kit (fenders and chassis components are the same) and has a rod version.  That kit has a nearly all plated flathead engine.  You will still need to think about a dropped front axle, as neither of these kits include one.  I'd use those solid Halibrand wheels, and scrounge a quick-change center section for the rear axle to go with them.

Another option would be to search out the late Seventies one-shot roadster pickup rod issue.  That one has a small-block Chevy V8, Corvette rear suspension, and a nice set of Mehelich (Halibrand clone) slotted wheels.  Still no dropped front end though.

I have my go-to solution for a dropped axle. I'll have to watch for the truck release.

Drop.jpg

7 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

I have my go-to solution for a dropped axle. I'll have to watch for the truck release.

Drop.jpg

What kit is that axle from?

I have a complete, unstated kit of this 28 and have debated whether to do so.ething with it. I'll be keeping an eye on yours.

Later-

8 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

I have a complete, unstated kit of this 28 and have debated whether to do so.ething with it. I'll be keeping an eye on yours.

Later-

It is a resin piece from Australia. 'Bout 10 bucks delivered. 

20 hours ago, Mark said:

Mark, I must have missed any word about the truck and this kit. Do you have a link. Thanks

17 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Later-

That axle pictured above is a resin 'copy' of the axles found in the Revell '32 Ford kits (several body styles of that kit, roadster, 3 window, 5 window, sedan, Speedwagon and "Rat Roaster" roadster), they all have this axle). I'd be wary of using a resin axle that will have some weight resting on it, seems like it would warp over time (unless they have a metal insert of some sort to firm it up), my $.02..... -RRR

I say definitely a "keeper". If you sell it away, you'll regret it later. 

I'd try to build it with all the opening features (doors, seats, steerable wheels) as they're unique to this kit.

You may encounter difficulty removing all that silver and gold paint. Try using Easy Off oven cleaner on that bad boy. Otherwise mineral spirits and a bunch of Qtips.

3 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

That axle pictured above is a resin 'copy' of the axles found in the Revell '32 Ford kits (several body styles of that kit, roadster, 3 window, 5 window, sedan, Speedwagon and "Rat Roaster" roadster), they all have this axle). -RRR

I thought it looked familiar but I didn't really recognize it without chrome.

Later-

2 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

I thought it looked familiar but I didn't really recognize it without chrome.

Later-

I think it is actually dropped further than what comes in the Revell kits(but I could be wrong) The spindles are definitely different