Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicate kits

ewetwo

20 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

So yea I'm stupid.  🙄

Then I’m a complete moron!  I have tons of duplicates bought right. 

It started right from the beginning.. I was building my first model as an adult, an AMT 57 Ford and screwed up a few things. I bought a second kit to supply the parts to finish my model. So it began.. I figured a second kit was good insurance.

And what happened to that parts kit?

+ I used the front seat and glass on my model.

+ The suspension is under my blue old custom restoration. I used hood, wheels and tires on same car.

+ The roof is on my green old custom. 

+ I sent out the engine and doors to people needing them. Someone wanted the wheel wells to transplant onto a Revell body.

So that extra kit was pretty useful.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:40 AM, iamsuperdan said:

I've had that happen for a couple of reasons. 

First, I'm just forgetful. I see something and think to myself, "Dang that's awesome. Gotta have it!" Then I get home and I already have it. This doesn't happen too often. Tamiya Audi quattro, AMT Christine. Two that come to mind.

Second, it's too good of a deal to pass up. I've found kits at antique stores or garage sales at prices so low, I have to buy it. Prime example, a couple of years ago I was at a client's shop delivered his new truck, when I saw a couple of boxes of model kits. I asked, and he said he was clearing out space. Two Revell COE Aerodynes, two Revell Auto Transport trailers, AMT Ford C900 with trailer, all factory sealed and mint, for $100 CDN.

Third, I just want them. ESCI Ford Transit, AMT C1500 454SS; I have at least half a dozen of each of those.  I buy whenever I find them and they're not an arm and a leg. I just love the subject matter. 

, AMT C1500 454SS a dozen eh.. been tryin go get one for years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 11:08 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Then I’m a complete moron!  I have tons of duplicates bought right. 

It started right from the beginning.. I was building my first model as an adult, an AMT 57 Ford and screwed up a few things. I bought a second kit to supply the parts to finish my model. So it began.. I figured a second kit was good insurance.

And what happened to that parts kit?

+ I used the front seat and glass on my model.

+ The suspension is under my blue old custom restoration. I used hood, wheels and tires on same car.

+ The roof is on my green old custom. 

+ I sent out the engine and doors to people needing them. Someone wanted the wheel wells to transplant onto a Revell body.

So that extra kit was pretty useful.

I got a good price on several Revell '67 Corvette roadsters at the local toy show last year. I don't like the shape of that body, but the kit is a parts mine. I've been parting one out. So far I've helped other modelers with the wheels and tires, front bumper/grille, decals, windshield wipers, and I think maybe the seats. I'll probably be using the engine in a build very soon, and the exhaust will definitely find a home on something sooner or later.  Oh, and I'll cut the "stinger" off the hood and use it on something else, too. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, youpey said:

i somehow got myself 4x the amt 1963 corvette. and by somehow, i mean i bought three of them from amazon with a birthday giftcard. i have 4 of them now

Welcome to the club! I've got at least that many of them just for "organ donors" for a bunch of glue bomb AMT '63-'67 annuals I want to rebuild. B)